Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2 3 4
Lack of Female Crusaders. Take 2.

85 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 1:18 PM
Tygari
Troll Teschio succeeded in derailing the original thread to the point it was locked for being off topic.
Here is try two though I doubt he won't simply do it again.
For everyone else please stay on topic.

There are only 6 women Crusaders.
I am not counting any animals cause that's a cheat.
where as there is over 20 men crusaders.
Again not counting animals.
*These numbers are a little off as I have only been playing since February and don't have all event crusaders.*
This is a severe disparagy of the sexes.

With the current royal event 2 more males are added that focus on making use of the royal crusaders making 6 royal crusaders.
Of which only 1 is female.
One of the new two crusaders should have been female.

I am sure there are plenty of female players like myself who like to see a more fair amount of female crusaders.

Good on topic posts from the prior thread.

BoldarBlood

They went from 4 females out of 20 crusaders initially to 11 out of 44 nowadays (not counting animals), so I believe they're trying to improve on this matter. But it will take time to even the score, and they can't just introduce female crusaders for the sake of it. They're designing crusaders along with the events, so if the story they want to tell calls for 2 male crusaders, they should (and they have) roll with it.

Carlene Paquette

Equality starts at the bottom by setting a good example. That means language, TV characters, fiction and even video games. Making half the characters female in a video will not solve gender inequality all by itself. But it is a step in the right direction. This further extends in video games (and Hollywood) supporting a range of female body types, not just slim large breasted faux women.

13 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 2:50 PM
ZeroTakenaka
There are actually two female, royal crusaders. Queen Siri, and the Princess. However, I agree there is a lack of HUMAN FEMALE crusaders in the game.

85 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 2:52 PM
Tygari
I don't know Queen Siri. She must be before my time. Good to know. Thank you.

692 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 3:25 PM
Last Edited May 29th 2016 at 5:35 PM
Teschio
You shouldn't call people trolls just because they happen do disagree with you. It's pretty clear that you don't tolerate dissent, and label anyone who does not agree completely with you a mysoginist or a troll (or even a nazi, like you said about me multiple times). If I really wanted to troll I would have done that, saying things like "women should not play videogames", or" go back to the kitchen". Things I do not think, by the way. Instead, I tried to defend my position and to use reason. This is not how trolls work, they just provoke and say outrageous things without any justification or reasoning. So, besides the fact that you don't tolerate opinions different from yours, it seems like you also ignore what trolls are.

But all that was just a disclamer, not the core of my post. Of all the things you said in the other topic, one and only one is absolutely right: we should stick to the topic. I got carried away by your fanatic brand of feminism, something I find hard to stand, and went off-topic, and for that (and ONLY that) I apologize.

So, we should talk about the topic. (notice: TALK. This implies different opinions, without the need to call the other person a mysoginistic nazi troll akin to Hitler, like you ACTUALLY DID last time). And on the topic, I think one thing can be considered true by everyone: this game does not objectify women. I wouldn't like it if it did. Many games do, this does not. Also, it doesn't use stereotypes: for every "girly" crusader like Princess, there is a "tough girl" like Sasha. So, what you CANNOT say is that the game belittles women in any way. Your ONLY complain seems therefore the lack of female characters. To which my question is: is this REALLY an issue? Do we NEED complete gender equality in a VIDEOGAME? We are not talking about real life here, or important things like politics, in which I think there absolutely SHOULD be equality: we are talking about a bunch of sprites. Wether crusaders were 100% male, 100% female, 50-50 or anything in between, it would make NO DIFFERENCE. Having equality here would have zero impact in the real world. I know you think this would "set an example" for kids, but you absolutely wrong about that, kids don't even NOTICE this kind of things. Something I already said in the other post, is that only fanatics notice things like this, and are outraged by them. And you, I have to say, fit the fanatic description quite nicely.

Do we really need to be completely politically correct in EVERYTHING, including things that don't really matter like videogames? I think we do not. Actually, I think a certain type of politically correctness is detrimental, because it prohibits to have a conversation about certain issues by making the "taboo". And prohibiting discourse is not how a society can advance. All this, of course, if we assume the best of the two scenarios, which is that your concerns stem from hyper-polically correctness. The OTHER scenario, that they derive from a particularly fanatical kind of third-wave feminism (which sadly seems more likely) speaks for itself...

Honestly, I do not care one bit about the gender of crusaders. My only care is what impact it has on the mechanics of the game (like Siri only buffing female crusaders, or the gender interactions of Succubus or Kyle). To be clear, I am not AGAINST having more female crusaders (besides the impact it could have on said game mechanics): I simply do not care. What I DO care about, however, is to not give way to fanaticism, whatever this fanaticism is about. It's just the way I am, I have a hard time tolerating it, especially since fanatics tend to impose their ideas onto others, and this is not something I enjoy being on the receiving end of... thinking about that, it's the exact thing you are trying to do, imposing you misguided idea of gender equality IN A VIDEOGAME to everyone (note the emphasis: gender equality in real life is absolutely needed, gender equality in a videogame is stupid).

Now, I think I stayed in topic this time, I tried to defend my positions, and you can say what you want about me, but this is not how trolls work. It's up to you now: if you want a DISCUSSION, we can have one. I would very much like that. But if you just think that anyone that disagrees with you is a mysoginistic nazi chauvinistic troll, then as far as I am concerned the discussion ends here, and there would be no other post from me on the subject. Maybe this way you would realize that my intent is not to derail the conversation or to prevent it... although, if I understand the kind of person you are, this would not change you opinion one bit. I hope I am wrong about this, though.

85 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 3:37 PM
Tygari
Erika/Alyniana please do something.
Teschio has returned to once again flame this thread and post off topic posts in attempts to lure others off topic to derail the thread into being closed again.

5 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 7:56 PM
Scott Butler
It appears that Tygari made her point and defended it, which is being ignored by some. Our culture sets the standard for what is considered acceptable. If we let a game go by that has reality out of proportion, then it makes it seem ok.

While you might argue that the sexism of the game is not as bad as some games (Dead or alive vollyball girls, for example) - It is a strawman argument that ignores the point that Tygari was trying to make. If the devs can make an effort in the future - why not do it? (Within the bounds of game balance and design)

In this case, the devs do seem to be making an effort - but I would suggest to Tygari to not ignore the statistics of the crusaders being animals. If there are 30 crusaders, you weaken your argument if you say that there should be 15 females, when there are 10 animals. It then would follow from what you are saying there should be 10 male, 10 female and 10 animal. Plus I don't think you have a good census of what the crusaders are.

Finally, I am not sure that it is wise to ignore the animals gender. Look at it from the perspective of your argument. If all the animals were male, it would further make the point that is the default gender of heroic creatures. But if a Panda or Phoenix happen to be female of the species... doesn't that make the case that there is a diversity of heroism among the crusaders?

85 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 8:03 PM
Tygari
Scott you make some fine points both for and against.

I don't know all the crusaders. Some event crusaders were released before I joined.

If the animals were equal male to female than I would agree more.
Unfortunately most the animals are female while most the humuniod are male.
Both should be given more balance.

5 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 8:14 PM
Scott Butler
The Wiki has the listing of the crusaders. (Towards the bottom of the page)
http://crusaders-of-the-lost-idols.wikia.com/wiki/Crusaders

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2016 at 8:30 PM
Raymond
or simply
bw rabbit, jim pam, emo sally, sasha orc, hermit kyle, kaine monkey larry, princess turkey, natalie jack, jason pete broot, lion elf, khouri momma brogon, bryphon rocky, sarah soldier, panda santa dwarf, merman witch raccoon, phoenix angel, king siri, thalia snowman, merci bat, nate

526 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 30th 2016 at 11:15 AM
Matthew Kliparchuk
Tygri i would sugest letting it go youve made your point. If this thread gets locked up again and u do another thread the dev will probably consider it spam My sugestion would be everyone read teh forum conduct thread which ive done.

11 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 31st 2016 at 4:21 AM
Stoffer
http://crusaders-of-the-lost-idols.wikia.com/wiki/Crusaders

Male humans:
Merci, Bat billionaire, Nate Dragon, Thalia, King Reginald, Leerion,
Rocky, Jason, Detective Kaine, Hermit, Kyle, Bush Wacker, Jim, Pete,
Khouri

count: 15

Female humans:
Sarah, Queen Siri, Soldierette, Princess, Natalie Dragon, Sasha, Pam,
Momma Khaine, Wendy the Witch,

count: 9

Male non-humans:
Prince Sal, Robbie Raccoon, Alan, Brogon, Artaxes, Leprechaun, Groklok,
Robo Rabbit, Monkey, Robo Turkey, Jack O'lantern, Robo Santa, Frosty,
Emo,

count: 14

Female non-humans:
Phoenix, Gold Panda, Dark Gryphon, Drizzle, Sally,

count: 5

Both: Broot (plants are weird like that)

count: 1

Total male: 29
Total female: 14
Total both: 1

I do not separate animals from non-humans and robots. I group them all together as non-humans.

We need more female crusaders for game-mechanics, especially now after missions has been introduced. We also need more healers (at least that's what I've had problems with, might be wrong) for missions.

We do NOT need female crusaders for the reason of "representation". If you think such a thing is important because videogames affect our view on anything other than fiction, then you need to separate videogames from reality.

85 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 31st 2016 at 4:34 AM
Tygari
I counted Leprechaun as male humanoid and Sally as female humanoid.
I don't think they have to be full human just human enough.
Pretty sure Broot counts as just female. But she a tree and very non humanoid.

I do feel more females are needed for representation as you put it. Video games like movies and books effect people's perception.
Millions of people everyday get inspired to do fiction. Most in ways others can't understand why.

Take Star Trek. One of the main reasons they moved to Next Generation is cause most the tech of the original had been discovered.
Just cause your not inspired by something doesn't mean others won't be.
Never underestimate the potential of a simple piece of fiction.

11 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 31st 2016 at 6:44 AM
Last Edited May 31st 2016 at 6:45 AM
Stoffer
Humanoids yes, Humans no. You can use Leprechaun in the Beauties and the Beasts campaign objective. Sally is a succubus, succubi are demons. Even if something has human characteristics doesn't necesarily make them human. Take Elves as an example, they look like humans with pointy ears in most of fantasies, but they're still not human.
Broot counts as both male and female in the new mission system. That may be a bug, but until that gets corrected I will count Broot as both (it could make sense in plant biology perhaps, not sure).

Regarding the other two paragraphs:

Regarding Star Trek, can you elaborate on that? I'm not sure what you meant by that. Did you mean that tech from the original movie had been discovered in real life and they used Star Trek as main source of information/inspiration from that?

You cannot base ANY sort of artistic medium on how people _can_ take it, or else you'll end up with nothing at all. Individual opinions will take place regardless of intended goals or target audience by the artist. People can use art as an excuse for their hogwash as well, like videogames causing real-life violence, racism and sexism. It doesn't match reality. Those that get affected like that are delusional and vulnerable to those that take advantage of said delusion for their own means (propaganda).

More females for game mechanics.
More healers for game mechanics.
More whatever else is needed for game mechanics.

"Representation" reasons are unnecessary and irrelevant.

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 31st 2016 at 11:25 AM
Raymond
do like some lam people asked for months ago when they asked to be sllowed to use all 20 people at the same time, but in this case make everyome male and efveryone female, and everyone a robot, and everyone magical, and everyone supernatural, and everyone a healer and swo on, i.e. everyone be everything.
NOT

50 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 31st 2016 at 11:28 AM
Thanatos Hades
"Even if something has human characteristics doesn't necessarily make them human. Take Elves as an example, they look like humans with pointy ears in most of fantasies, but they're still not human."

Going by that logic Leerion isn't human ether because he's a Dwarf.

11 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 1st 2016 at 1:36 AM
Last Edited June 1st 2016 at 1:36 AM
Stoffer
"Going by that logic Leerion isn't human ether because he's a Dwarf."

Perhaps Leerion is a dwarf. I dunno what CN wants him to be. A dwarf? A human with dwarfism (like Tyrion from Game of Thrones is)? If dwarfism, it's a medical condition, not a change of fantasy race. If his parents are dwarves, or was born from earth and afflicted by the curse of flesh which made dwarves or whatever author's explain humanoid races' origin, then he's a dwarf. Need context of it's own fantasy universe.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 1st 2016 at 9:19 AM
TsukasaWM
Seriously? Out of all the things to take issue with you're going to try to drag gender inequality into a game where it has exactly 0 relevance? Please go back to your tumblr safe space and leave the game to those that want to just have fun. If you want to argue equality for strategic reasons, especially now that we have missions, I'd totally understand that. Beyond that, there's no reason to even bring it up whatsoever. Can people play one game, just...one...game...without making a social issue of it? Is that such a hard thing to do these days?

7 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 1st 2016 at 3:21 PM
Last Edited June 1st 2016 at 3:24 PM
The Dog Catcher
Teschio is right here. This isn't even an issue, it doesn't matter and I suspect Tygari may be trolling.

202 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 2nd 2016 at 8:11 AM
Carlene Paquette
This also impacts the missions we can do. I frequently find I'm unable to start a mission because I don't have enough female crusaders to do it. I have to wait (sometimes hours) for missions to complete before I can start it. This is a problem for me, especially with the longer missions. I'd prefer to be able to start them ASAP as they take 10+ hours to complete.

692 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 2nd 2016 at 9:12 AM
Teschio
Carlene, if you suggest more female crusaders for game balancing purpose (especially with Missions) I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, Tygari focused on representation reasons, which are ridiculous (Missions didn't exist when she wrote the post, btw..). Game balancing and idiological reasons are two VERY different things.

BTW, for game balancing we would also need more healers, more supernaturals, and more magical (tags that in my experience happen quite often, but have very few crusaders providing them).