Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2
Runes 101
Lvl 80 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
426 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 11:18 AM
Last Edited August 7th 2013 at 11:21 AM
Ken Layden
There has been a lot of questions and feedback about the exciting addition of rune socketing to the game and we appreciate the enthusiasm. To help everyone enjoy this new feature we will be posting a series of tips on how to use and enjoy the rune system. Today we focus on the basics:

- Once you’ve built the blacksmith, you can equip runes in your swords to give them unique buffs!
- Swords can have up to three rune slots. The first slot is free, but slots two and three can be unlocked at levels 90 and 140.
- Runes last for a certain amount of time, thought they only start their timer once you equip them!
- Make sure you replace any rune slots that open up as soon as possible.
- If you replace a rune with a new one it will start a new timer for the new rune.
- Runes socketed in swords that are left in the inventory still have a timer.

----

Please post any questions or comments about runes here.
112 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 11:59 AM
Carolyn Schwartz
So... I shouldn't buy rune slots until I have a rune to put in it? Why replace rune slots as soon as possible?
392 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 12:34 PM
Joe Gosselin
another hint, the quest to get Scavenge Runes from the incompetent Negdry is a daily quest, so you can do it every 20 hours after turn-in the 20 rocks he ask.
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 12:38 PM
Raymond
A Rune Slot bought is a Rune Slot owned, forever. A Rune itself in the Slot is fleeting.
102 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 1:45 PM
Nick Smith
buy the extra slots. you can find extra runes in bushes if you have an open slot.
112 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 2:42 PM
Carolyn Schwartz
So why "replace any rune slots that open up as soon as possible."?
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 4:54 PM
Raymond
Nick is mistaken or we are misinterpreting what he is trying to say.
But Runes can be found whether or not you have a Rune Slot open of all filled. Finding them is not impacted in any way by the state of your Slots. You could have 1, 2 or 3 slots, and 1, 2 or 3 of them can have a Rune in them in any order and you will still find Runes. Runes are like Gems, perhaps as common as Ruby's or even more common, I already have 10.
Ken is saying what you quoted perhaps to have you avoid having a really distracting object/timer on your screen all the time. When all your available slots are filled there is nothing on screen. When you have at least 1 free slot there is a timer/reminder on screen. I think there should be some kind of way to see the state of your slots and have up to 3 timers visible wherever you are. Right now you have to go to the commons and talk to the knight.
Lvl 178 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
83 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 5:37 PM
Marc Levac
"Runes socketed in swords that are left in the inventory still have a timer." I don't know if this is something that was missed in the programming, or just me, but I haven't been able to move a rune from sword back to inventory once socketed. I can put a rune over an existing one, but it says the previously socketed rune will be destroyed.
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 6:01 PM
Raymond
You can't remove a Rune. That would defeat the purpose of them being short lived.
Kind of like in bw1, you can cast a spell but you have to let it run its course, you can't save some of it for later.
83 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 6:08 PM
Marc Levac
Nonetheless the guidelines that have been posted say "Runes socketed in swords that are left in the inventory still have a timer." So either that is incorrect, or something's missing from the programming.
83 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 6:18 PM
Marc Levac
Oh, I see. I had the wrong semantic interpretation. I was reading it as "if you socket a rune for a time, then move it back to your inventory the rune will continue to run down" but they were talking about the individually socketed swords.
102 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 6:19 PM
Nick Smith
@ray
I have 3 slots, had 2 open slots and had them filled within 5 minutes. Now I have not whacked up a single rune from a bush in over a day.

Maybe there is a difference between FBs and AGs systems. Wouldn't be the first difference between them.
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 7th 2013 at 7:16 PM
Raymond
cool, socketed a sword to have 0 Runes, then resocketed my standard sword to get those 3. The timer for each does still go on.

BUT while you are talking to the Knight, the timers never decrement. I was there for a good 5 minutes and the timers said what they said that whole time. Leaving the Knight and going back and the timers jumped that 5 minutes. UNLIKE the ranch plantings timers, you can watch those decrement.
426 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 8th 2013 at 9:32 AM
Ken Layden
@Nick -Keep trying. More runes are in those bushes.

@Marc - You are right I meant individually socketed swords.
Lvl 370 "Loves The Developers"
554 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 8th 2013 at 4:29 PM
Last Edited August 8th 2013 at 4:31 PM
Jean Davis
I have 2 runes socketed & 3 slots. I have only found 3 other runes from the daily quests. How do you get extra runes outside of the quests?

I sem to be missing something here - If a rune is NOT socketed then it is not yet activated, correct?

How do you take a rune that has expired and re-furbish it? I have one that had 10%, but I don't want to put anything over it it that will kill it forever.

Are there rune for other items other than fruit & gems?

I was under the impression that when you socketed a sword ALL your swords were socketed with the same runes.
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 8th 2013 at 4:46 PM
Raymond
1. they drop randomly from bushes/beasts, perhaps as common as Ruby's or Jades.
2. yes, unsocketed = unused. you can stockpile many/all you find if you like instead of using them.
3. if a rune is expired, that slot is free for a new one. if you want to use a better rune in a slot that's occupied you HAVE to destroy the one there. Such destruction is not 'forever' its that one trinket in that 1 slot.
4. I think all kinds of runes exist. I have seen power, mana, fruit, gold and gems. I bet puzzle and quest ones also exist and possibly nothings ones.
5. since swords are totally useless in this game, I too find it strange that each sword has 1-3 slots. but perhaps it is a way to switch back and forth from some different effects, short lived as they are that is.
Lvl 370 "Loves The Developers"
554 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 9th 2013 at 1:40 AM
Jean Davis
So if I change swords, I will have to buy more slots & place new runes again, correct?
Lvl 440 "Crazy Cat Lover"
670 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 9th 2013 at 2:01 AM
DestKitteh
No, buying slots 2 and 3 goes across all your swords. At 50,000 and 100,000, it'd be a tad bit steep to constantly redo it.
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 10th 2013 at 8:27 AM
Raymond
but yes, a new sword will have unoccupied slots and if you want to use that sword with effect you will have to place new runes. meanwhile the other sword will have those original runes and they will still be counting down...
426 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 15th 2013 at 11:18 AM
Ken Layden
To continue in our series of Rune lessons here is the next set of tips:

Rune 201
- Runes can rarely be found in small, medium, and large varieties in the wild.
- Negdry the Apprentice offers a daily quest to get a random rune via rune scavenging! If you do his quest every day, you should always have enough runes for your sword!
- If an Alchemist moves to the Commons, you’ll be able to combine two runes into one, or break them down into dusts and craft entirely new types of runes! So hold on to any extra runes you find. They’ll be super useful if an Alchemist moves in! *shifty-eyes*