Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2 3
Event Participation Change - Give Event Items To Those PLAYING The Event!!!
Lvl 363 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
151 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 7th 2012 at 5:25 PM
Jen Lyons
I can understand wanting to opt out, mainly because I've completed the event and am tired of getting a popup message every time I get a "rare" blue firework, but here's why I think it's worth participating in all of the events in BW2 at the moment:

- If you're playing regularly, there's a good chance you'll finish all the areas before the next one is released. While I appreciate the fact that the devs made the flux for us to have something to do in between updates, it's not the most fun part of the game for me.
- The ribbons from the events increase your max base energy. This is super useful, and you can only get them by doing the events.
- As others have stated, you get tons of free energy and mana that helps you progress.
- Someday, you may actually care about decorating your house, and getting the special house items will be cool. There's no guarantee that they'll show up again at next year's event, or that you won't have to pay bushbucks for them in the future.

If the game had been out for a while, and there was a vast amount of basic content to explore, and if the event items were impeding you from getting stuff you need to progress, it would make more sense to me to want to opt out, but the ribbons alone would make me want to participate anyway.
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2012 at 11:24 AM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 6:40 PM
Wayne Bennett
Jen, I appreciate your feedback. As I've stated before, there ARE certain holiday events I like to do. But I think there are too many that are created, & therefore it should be my choice to opt IN those I choose to play.

Like I told Peter, a lot of this is based off my experience with BW1 where you opt in to holiday events & repeatable quests. Why should that process be any different in BW2?

Also, everybody plays BW1 & BW2 differently. What I decide to do & what order it's in could totally be different than yours. Doesn't mean 1's way is better than the other. But since this event is something I'ld rather not do, people are harping on me for having that decision.
Lvl 102 "Santa Wannabe"
33 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2012 at 5:55 PM
Peter Zammit
What we are saying though is thats not how it is.

Something Ive been griping about for a while is the fact you lose any energy you have when leveling up. It has been described as a "strategy" and although a lot of players will defend the devs to the death with it, absolutely nothing anyone says will convince me its a good idea. This is especially a pain in the butt for me as I have now donated numerous times (I really dont know why) and each time I have had a heap of energy wasted after spending bush bucks when I level up.

Numerous people have complained about this since BW1 and nothing has been done about it and the only time I could see that it has been addressed is the introduction of the BW club which requires you to spend bush bucks to achieve and maintain. NOT a solution.

Its become increasingly apparent that the way the game is made is the way it will stay either through ignorance, laziness or an ulterior monetary motive. In this case, your inconvenience is short lived and can be easily ignored.
Lvl 363 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
151 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2012 at 6:08 PM
Jen Lyons
You know, Wayne, I was thinking about this some more this morning and realized that there are actually two "opt-in" quests that are part of this event. If you don't agree to collect parts for the extra special firework or to fetch ice cream for the little girl, you don't have ice cream or bags of gunpowder dropping out of the bushes. So I don't think it would be that difficult for them to code all the quests to be that way, regardless of whether I think you should do the event or not ;)
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2012 at 6:16 PM
Wayne Bennett
Peter, I agree with the loss of energy. In BW1, you get that mini yellow bar underneath your power (showing the "extra" you have). It's also like when you're basically out of energy, but also like 1-2 whacks from leveling up.....do you use an energy boost to hurry up & level up (thereby losing any extra)...or just wait a bit of time & let the system replenish your energy enough to proceed to the next level?

I'm lost as to how they consider losing that extra energy a "strategy". Unless it's like a shooter game & you have 1 bullet left for 2 different targets. Totally different logic of game play there.

I remember being part of the group against "friend requests" to proceed in this game with area clearing/etc.. I think the devs. realized our arguments about people not playing or wanting to bother friends with game requests changed it to what they have now.
Lvl 73 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
130 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 3:17 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 3:19 PM
Dengke Sha
Wayne I think you're just being silly. Why's it so bad to get extra free items? And why would you complain about ribbons that permanently increase your maximum energy?

One problem with opt-ins though, is that some players won't even realise the quest is on or have trouble finding the quest to do. I remember this was a problem for me in an early BW event (if I remember correctly). I was quite disappointed I missed the first week or so of the event.
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 3:42 PM
Wayne Bennett
Dengke, I've never said anything about that (free items/ribbons being bad).

My argument is I should have the choice whether or not I want to participate in these events. If I DON'T, then nothing from the event should appear when I whack bushes/monsters. I choose to play BW1 & 2 my way, just like you have your way, & everybody else has theirs.

I've stated numerous times, there ARE events I'm looking forward TO DO. Just right now, this isn't 1 I'm interested in.

I can't converse with you on your experience because the events are posted when you 1st open up the game & I don't know what happened for you.
Lvl 73 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
130 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 4:00 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 4:06 PM
Dengke Sha
Perhaps the devs could implement a "turn off event drops" checkbox button for people like you who wish to opt out? For example one which is conveniently placed on the main screen? I just think that opt-in might create some problems for new players.

I believe the problem I had was in the first Bushwhacker 1 event way back then, and that it was promptly changed after (but I'm not 100% on this since it was so long ago).

Edit: Or maybe the devs could even just make the checkbox a "make event drops silent" checkbox instead in case people change their minds. And it could be event specific.
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 4:04 PM
Wayne Bennett
Dengke, think of it like this scenario:

Supposed a clothing store is having a sale. You choose to go shopping & purchase a couple new shirts & a pair of pants. I opt to stay home. Am I missing anything from not going to the store? I don't think so because I feel that I don't need any new clothes right now.
Lvl 73 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
130 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 4:08 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 4:10 PM
Dengke Sha
No, that's fair enough. But I think the devs need to also consider new players and the large amount of players that want to be opted in automatically that it might not be practical to make the event completely opt in.

Edit: Because then there will be people who would be complaining about events not being automatic opt-in.
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 4:09 PM
Wayne Bennett
Dengke, the opt in was the process for BW1 (events & repeatable quests). Why should that process change for BW2? Am I wrong for saying I like(d) it that way?

& a lot of this is based off BW1.
Lvl 73 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
130 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 4:11 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 4:22 PM
Dengke Sha
I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that there's lots of things to consider. And I'm sure the devs will consider your point of view too. The devs are trying to improve on the game since BW1 to provide a better experience for everyone.

Edit: In relation to your clothing store analogy, it'd be fine if not going to the store didn't affect anyone else's ability to go to the store/see that a sale was on/find their way to the store. However, if it did, I don't believe your proposed policy would be very popular.
Lvl 330 "The Great One"
78 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 4:13 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 4:22 PM
David Davison
Since the clothing store isn't giving any clothes away, the argument isn't valid, Wayne. The event gives you basically free items, with no cost to you whether you participate or not. If the clothing store was giving away free clothing, choosing to stay home, you are missing out on getting free clothing from the store. But that's your choice.

Anyways, getting the event items does not lower your chances of getting any other item. And is there a reason you don't just ignore the items if you have no interest in participating in the event?

If people are just starting out, and haven't reached the commons yet, are they supposed to suffer and not be able to do anything with the events until they've gotten through fifteen different puzzles before they have a chance to collect the event items?
Post by David Davison deleted July 9th 2012 at 4:15 PM
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 6:38 PM
Wayne Bennett
David, who said anything about giving things away for free? If I don't go to the store, I don't get clothes on sale. If I don't opt in to the event, I don't get anything related to the event.

I still have to whack bushes/monsters to continue my quest, just like you do if you were playing the event, except it would look as if there was no event going on.

If they haven't reached the commons yet, I doubt they can turn in any event items. So what does your comment mean?

Why is it so hard for people to see that I don't want to play this event or several others I'm sure they're going to roll out? That's my choice.
Lvl 73 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
130 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 6:58 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 7:05 PM
Dengke Sha
Wayne. All I hear is you saying "me, me, me, me, me". The devs have to take in to account the situation of people other than you as well, although I'm sure they'll take your opinions in to consideration, and possibly even create an opt out option for you, however making events opt-in may be rather user unfriendly.

In case you missed this from my previous post: In relation to your clothing store analogy, it'd be fine if you not going to the store didn't affect anyone else's ability to go to the store/see that a sale was on/find their way to the store. However, if it did, I don't believe your proposed policy would be very popular.

Alrighty. I've said all I've had to say so I'll stop repeating myself. You guys all have a good day. And most of all, just enjoy some whacky bushwhacking fun-ness! Including you Wayne. Lighten up and just enjoy the game ;) Cheers!
82 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 7:26 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 7:30 PM
Wayne Bennett
I never said that my not going to the store effected anybody else.

I'm saying in BW1, you had to talk to somebody to do the events, you had to talk to somebody to do the quests, you had to talk to somebody to do the repeatable tasks. You didn't talk to those people, you didn't do whatever it was.
Why shouldn't that feature be the way BW2 works?

My issue is that you should have to talk to somebody to OPT IN to these events (like in BW1) to participate in them.

There were several events I didn't do in BW1: 4th of July, Easter, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, etc.. My choice of game play didn't effect you from participating in them, did it? Nope - not 1 bit.

The reason you hear "me me me" is because I'm willing to put it out there on these forums (hopefully for the devs. to see) how I find things in BW2 not as enjoyable as they were handled in BW1. In the prior posts, Peter & I were talking about how you lose energy when you level up instead of giving you the excess like in BW1. When BW2 first came out, they wanted you to send friend requests to advance in the game. The devs. saw our side of it & changed it to letting your fellow BW friends help you out again after so much time has passed (24-48 hrs. I think). Other posts talk about how people preferred the map feature of BW1 over the map here in that in BW1, you could "warp" to any space just by clicking on it. I'm sure there are others who wish there were an option feature on these events, but choose not to post.

I am enjoying the game. Just pointing out a particular issue I feel was handled better in BW1 & would like to see it implemented here.
Lvl 330 "The Great One"
78 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2012 at 9:57 PM
Last Edited July 9th 2012 at 10:03 PM
David Davison
They may not be able to turn them in when still reaching the commons, but they'd still collect them while getting to the commons, meaning they wouldn't fall ridiculously behind in the quest if they wished to do it, as they could still collect meat and fireworks. Your proposed solution is that they can't collect even those while still heading to the commons. The Bush Whacker 1 quests always had a limit of about 1 or 2 maps you'd have to complete to be able activate the event quests, but it's a lot more distant to activate the quests with the Bush Whacker 2 game. In other words, your solution would be shorting those newcomers of quite a bit of event progress that they might otherwise make.
167 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 10th 2012 at 5:38 AM
Denise C Steil
I get where you're coming from and agree that you shouldn't have to participate if you don't want to. BUT you have meat, you might as well turn it in for energy (hotdogs & hamburgers 2, chicken 4, ribs 8, and steak i think is 12) once you buy all the special items with the tokens you can buy picnic baskets with mana, power, and energy in them. You probably have enough in your inventory now to complete the event. It'll just take time to turn in all the stuff you've collected.
167 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 10th 2012 at 5:44 AM
Denise C Steil
And yes you can turn in items even if you haven't unlocked the commons yet. You get to the event by clicking the "P" icon and click "go to event" The rest of the commons is still locked. A friend just started playing and hasn't unlocked the commons, this is how I know.