Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
haunted house contest ratings
102 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 22nd 2013 at 7:53 AM
Nick Smith
the ratings seems broken at times, at least on AG.

when I have two images up one will have nothing in the house. the other will have a nice layout so I click on the second. new page loads and it says only 38% agree with that choice. anyone else noticing this on other versions?
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 22nd 2013 at 8:03 AM
Raymond
other people have that 'nice' house pitted against some other house and not the empty one, of course.
if everyone was submitted exactly the same houses vs exactly the same other house then it's not a contest.
189 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 23rd 2013 at 3:06 AM
Luca D'Agostini
I think that's not the way to make a contest. People starts submitting empty houses only to be voted from the beginning and don't vote in order to have some advantage...

If i was the one in charge for this contest i would make the players submit their houses BEFORE the voting starts, like this:
- Any player can submit many photo of its house (only the last will be voted);
- Those photos can be submitted only before and during halloween;
- When november begins the contest begins too and photos cannot be submitted anymore.
In that way you vote always the same photo and there won't be empty houses (but if they're still there at least they won't be voted).

To solve the people-not-voting issue i'd introduce some kind of incentive, like a large energy pack every 100 pictures voted.
Lvl 437 "Vanquisher of Evil!"
71 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 23rd 2013 at 5:02 PM
Adi Star
I think the random button is broken too. I keep seeing the same houses come up and they are the same ones that are the top rated, I am getting to the point that I don't choose them out of seeing them come up too often and I don't think they are the best. I have never seen mine come up but I am pretty sure it is up there with the houses that are currently "top rated". I just did the voting thing for ages and I must have seen the house with all the green lanterns down the sides 5 times at least and I know I saw the butterfly one quite a few times too.
Lvl 330 "Pseudo Achiever"
438 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 24th 2013 at 8:35 AM
Marci Wilson
They need to have some kind of system in place that actually prevents someone from submitting an empty house, or some kind of way for voters to report empty houses, so that they can get the boot. After the way the garden contest was handled, and having to sift through TOO MANY pages of dueling empty gardens, I have VERY LITTLE interest in either submitting anything or voting this time around.
Lvl 80 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
426 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 24th 2013 at 9:51 AM
Last Edited October 28th 2013 at 2:13 PM
Ken Layden
Thank you for the feedback. We want people to be interested in the contest so it is important for us to hear about your experiences with the current voting system.

@Luca - Part of your suggestions already exists were only the most recently submitted photo from a player is eligible to get votes.

Empty houses are unlikely to win as they get pitted against fully decorated houses but I appreciate that seeing an empty house in the voting page can be disappointing in the context of the contest.
677 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 24th 2013 at 3:40 PM
jpl77
I like Luca's idea.

We need time to build up inventory to put in the HM. There is no reason to vote so early.

I like Maric's idea, and if you implemented Luca's idea there would barely be any empty MH's. But if you prevent empty houses it would improve the voting experience.
Lvl 330 "Pseudo Achiever"
438 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 25th 2013 at 9:41 AM
Last Edited October 25th 2013 at 9:52 AM
Marci Wilson
At least offer a 'Neither' option. Example...

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/LaSinR/neitherbw.jpg

That was the first voting option available... I don't really want to be forced to vote for EITHER just to be able to continue voting for Haunted Mansions that are actually worthy, where other players actually managed to put in some time, thought, and creativity.. One or the other of these two options is going to get the point if I want to continue. This is the thing that we are talking about..

At least being given the option for NEITHER, voters would not be forced to award a point to something that has no value just to be able to have the chance to vote for something that is worthy.... my bet, there are TONS of pages that look just like that.
305 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 26th 2013 at 7:49 PM
Kate (aquafishy)
I like Marci's idea, a neither button would be great !
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 27th 2013 at 3:23 PM
Raymond
My thoughts, yes to a button for neither.
We should also see in addition to the % of people who agreed with us, the actual number of votes for both houses, but only after we make that vote. Maybe somehow see how our house is doing, in a relative sense, but no idea what the 'best' houses are rated at unless we see then in a vote.

As to the contest, it should start the instant the event starts. We should not have to take a photo. It should continue to be randomly chosen houses. They should be what the chosen house looks like when we make the vote. There should be no reset since in my world there would be no 'photo' taken.
Empty house would get few votes or even zero because of the neither option, unless people like me vote for the underdogs.
Good houses would build up points, better houses would build up more points.
Perhaps have the random choices made among houses tat have had an update recently so as to ignore totally unparticipating players houses.

House will always be a work in progress, its penalizing people to make them wait, perhaps till they are done designing them on the last days of the event.

Now I also think that we should be able to rotate some things. And we should be able to sell back stuff we have bought, but be unable to sell back the last of any item. For example; I bought 2 of everything but now would rather have the over 100 extra bales of hay that the extras could have been.

all these ideas go for similar events like the Spring Planting one.
114 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 28th 2013 at 11:41 AM
Elizabeth Brown
I agree that there should be a neither button. I also agree that we should be able to see how our house stacks up, although I have to admit that it was a wonderful surprise to have received an honourable mention in the Spring Garden competition!

I don't feel that we should have the option to sell back what has already been purchased (rotate would be nice), but I would like another option of things to buy once I have everything. I currently have hundreds of pumpkins and my house is full enough.
Lvl 268 "Loves The Developers"
61 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 2nd 2013 at 4:53 AM
heppigirl
I have been looking forward to the haunted house since last year, but my dad has been in hospital for 3 weeks (he got home today) so I've spent all my time in hospital and only got one entry in (and I stayed up late last night throwing that entry together). I love the halloween event, and I love the haunted house. Now I'm not even in the state next week so please don't release anything new until I catch up! :))