Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2 3
Gorgeous Garden Photo Contest!
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 7th 2013 at 12:40 PM
Raymond
Click, click, clickity, click randomly for several dozen pages and don't even look at them. That's what I do.
Lvl 371 "Finder-outer"
579 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 7th 2013 at 12:42 PM
Ruth Orozco
Noemi, I think you missed Marci's comment on not being able to rotate items in the garden. I can't rotate either and I have tried in full screen and regular. Can we get that fixed? I need to rotate my planter boxes as part of my grand design...thanks!
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 7th 2013 at 1:08 PM
Raymond
I don't think the 'rotate' ability is part of this at all, I think that and the 'selling' of items is just a standard part of 'ranch' like programming.
Lvl 330 "Pseudo Achiever"
438 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 7th 2013 at 1:16 PM
Marci Wilson
Exactly Luna! Because the voting resets every time the photographer snaps a new picture, and there are so many obviously not updated gardens, and to get to the next page in the voting sequence a vote one way or the other is required to move on, it is conceivable that a garden that is totally blank could be sitting there racking up the votes.

Until this is remedied, I do not believe that I will bother returning to the voting page. I sifted through approximately 30 pages of submissions, and only saw about 5 gardens that actually had anything planted or arranged.
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 5:16 AM
Marleen Larik
Wait, the voting is reset every time a photo is updated?

Then that means that

1. All the voting I am doing right now is for nought, as none of the gardens are in their final state.

2. A long lasting crappy (early) garden picture will, if it remains in game un-updated, have the edge over a well-designed photo that is only up for a few days.

3. All gardens that we currently vote on are not in competition with other people's "end state" gardens.

4. In order to "win" user votes, you now have to make a tactical decision and create a balance between a well-designed garden but also putting it up for vote very early, never touching it after. I don't think this is in the intended spirit of the contest.

Based on this... I would have allowed voting to commence only on the last few days of the competition.
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 5:28 AM
Raymond
and what do our user votes do anyway, nothing, right? its the developers votes that matter, and with no way to see a ranking of our votes its a moot point, do some have thousands, do thousands have nothing, does it matter?
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 5:33 AM
Raymond
you know what I said above about clickity click, well I have been clicking on the blank ones since yesterday just so that those blank ones don't get 'downgraded' by the developers. How dare they eliminate people who have no idea how to play their complicated event. I shall do another thousand blank ones today when I have some time.
Lvl 330 "Pseudo Achiever"
438 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 7:09 AM
Marci Wilson
The User's Choice Award = 15 Bush Bucks. Though that may not seem like a whole lot, It is an energy refill for someone like me who does not have a pile of neighbors.
677 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 10:16 AM
jpl77
lol raymond, u never cease to surprise me!
Lvl 109 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
510 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 11:09 AM
Noemi Pomerleau
FYI guys none of the gardens anywhere near the top rankings are blank/unupdated. The ones with work put into them rise quickly to the top (within hours, if they're impressive enough) - so it seems like the rankings are working as intended.
Lvl 260 "Expert Bush Whacker"
307 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 3:08 PM
Dave Stone
The gardens that get shown first must have a higher chance of winning. I voted on a few
garden's to see what has been entered, But quickly gave up. How many garden's, possibly
better than the one's i voted on, Wont win because voter's did'nt go through the whole list?
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 3:38 PM
Marleen Larik
It's been the same set of gardens for days.
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 8th 2013 at 6:48 PM
Last Edited May 8th 2013 at 6:51 PM
Raymond
Mine is what I submitted days ago so I'm hoping it has lots of votes, but its not in the top rankings as far as I can see. I'll not be changing it even though its pretty bland.
But there has to be a better way, put this into your learning records for the future.
Perhaps just opt in and whatever yours looks like when its pitted against someone is what gets seen.

p.s. In my mission today voting for about a thousand, voting on the obviously lesser designed ones I voted for at least a hundred complete blanks, and at least a dozen times it was a blank one pitted against a blank one, makes me mad that I couldn't help half of those.
Lvl 420 "Needs More Energy!"
103 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 11th 2013 at 1:55 AM
Jennifer Mitchell
sorry but I don't agree with the voting I didn't realise until I came into the forum that each time you altered your garden it started from scratch again I kept updating mine each time I improved on it which now I know I was wrong to do. When I've been voting I've passed loads of gardens that far more deserve to be shown as the top rated also when I vote I have to decide between two gardens that are practically blank so one gets the vote then I get two gardens that are both lovely and one loses out it just doesn't seem right am I doing this all wrong I'd be grateful if someone would advise me. Thanks.
Post by Jennifer Mitchell deleted May 11th 2013 at 1:56 AM
Lvl 370 "Loves The Developers"
554 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 17th 2013 at 12:53 PM
Jean Davis
I only had the option of voting for one-of-two gardens once! I never did see 'pages & pages of gardens'. How do we know where we ranked or if we were eliminated?
Lvl 109 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
510 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 17th 2013 at 5:46 PM
Last Edited May 17th 2013 at 5:46 PM
Noemi Pomerleau
Exciting news! We’ve had so many entries we’re extending the vote for the Gorgeous Gardens Photo Contest! Just go to the Commons and speak to the photographer near the Town Crier to keep voting. Voting will continue until Monday at 11:59:59 p.m. PDT, and winners will be announced on Tuesday, May 21st!

That should alleviate some concerns re: early entries rising sticking at the top, for as much of a problem as that was. Almost all of the top 25 entries (which I can see as a dev) were entered in the last 4 days.
Lvl 330 "Master Bush Whacker"
243 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 18th 2013 at 10:47 PM
Luna Zoraida
Just a thought for next years spring competition... In the light of the difficult decision that now face the judges maybe having two categories, one for a garden design and the other for a themed design.

The garden type designs don't seem to be getting the votes next to the themed gardens even though they are just as amazing.
3 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 21st 2013 at 6:03 PM
Blake Wilson
Is there any way to check how well our gardens did in the event? My garden was very similar to one that won, so I thought it must have been voted highly. I'm really curious to know how it did.
3 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 21st 2013 at 11:48 PM
Stéphane Pignol
Hello. I'm Ataris from garden contest. I just want to thank the judges and the community for have chosen my fire flower. It's a pleasant surprise for me, there were many entries with beautiful creations.

Merci beaucoup !

Ataris.