Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Why is CNE shifting from being an idle game?

3 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 30th 2021 at 8:28 AM
Crunchi
Howdy there.

I started playing COTLI a few years ago because it was recommended by some article on the internet as one of the best idle games of all time. In fact, if you google "Best Idle games of all time" there COTLI is on the first link.

Now...I get that you can't shut COTLI down and make progress. I bought a gaming laptop just for COTLI so that wherever I go, COTLI is making progress.

But in essence, COTLI has always been an idle game. Reset a world, let it run. Come back later, reset and get a little further. It's the premise of idle games. And I've played so many of them to the extreme over the years. That's how I found COTLI in fact; I think I'd just gotten Adventure Capitalist or Realm Grinder to some "there is no point anymore" stage, and went hunting for a new game.

CNE, you probably know me as Dashofpepper from the ticket system. I buy everything. Obviously love CNE and this game. THe first couple of dungeon seasons were, "Can I use these 15 runs per week" which led to "I need to buy a dedicated gaming laptop to reduce lag."

Reward scaling has changed, and now it's "I need to run 7-9 sprints per day to achieve reward X." That's not cool bros. Idling is supposed to be, "Do a thing, go as long as you can." Get stuff, go longer.

CNE is abandoning the basic principle of an idle game. If you don't want this to be an idle game ... say so. I'll write letters to all the websites and news places that report this as one of the greatest idle games in history and update them on what CNE is doing these days, so people like me don't come here, sink thousands of dollars into the greatest idle game ever, then find out that it's still in beta mode, and not an idle game anymore.

Help me out here. Is this new trend a glitch in the matrix, or are you pushing for this to be an active game?

Pick one.

41 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 30th 2021 at 7:17 PM
medassin
There are no way u can being idle forever in this universal.

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 3rd 2021 at 10:39 AM
Animenut
Kind of agree with Cunchi, but only somewhat. Spamming dungeon runs in a day kinda defeats the purpose of an idle game, but you also don't HAVE to do that. For hardcore players that want to get all the things and be hyper-efficient, then sure, it is necessary, but the term "hardcore idle game player" seems a bit oxymoronic. If you're buying a dedicated gaming PC *JUST* for an idle game, how "idle" can you really be? There are players who are fine not getting absolutely everything, allowing the game to run for extended periods of time to just get whatever they get when they come check again. Casual players like that are playing an idle game. Dedicated, invested players have given up the idea of the game being a TRULY "idle" game by opting to put a bunch of effort into it. Both mindsets are valid, but if you want to be hyper-invested in an idle game, then don't complain that the game is no longer effortless and non-committal.

Despite that, though, there is a certain level of inactivity that is expected from an idle game, commitment or not. Hence the complaints that linear rewards favored short runs, meaning babysitting the game a lot to be efficient. Even if you're NOT going for max dungeon level, simply knowing that you're wasting time reaching your max area would be enough to incite a player to more active playing, which can be annoying. The devs seem to agree, or at least understand the complaints, and have changed the rewards scaling for dungeons back to being non-linear so that full runs are still viable. Now, an overnight run isn't 80% wasted time. Short runs might still be SLIGHTLY better, but the difference isn't so massive that a full run feels like wasted time anymore.

3 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 7th 2021 at 5:37 AM
Crunchi
The gaming PC is just because this is the first idle game I've heard of that doesn't allow offline progression, and I needed a computer that can stay on all the time.

Lemme put it another way: This game is Crusaders of the Lost Idols. IDOLS. We're here to get idols. CNE's business plan is to sell us things that let us get more idols. Legendary gear, flash sales - recently - season passes and runes - but all of it, every cent of purchases are tied to the pursuit of IDOLS. Go deeper. Go further. Get more idols. Reset. Go even deeper.

CNE killed it. Idol gains are capped at 12,500. A short sprint/warp run. New flash sales, golden sales, weekend sales ... there's no point now. Going further and deeper no longer gets you more idols. THere's no point to buying things to try going deeper.

The reason am pisses is because I've spent the last several years buying everything so that no matter what happens in terms of meta or events, I have a good shot of taking advantage of it to go deeper. It doesn't matter anymore. I could have zero golden legendaries and still go far enough to get max rewards.

CNE might have invalidated all of my purchases and wrecked their business model, but I don't understand why, or what the new business plan is going to be. Going deeper is no longer rewarded, but CNE is still selling things to help us go deeper. Companies stop selling obsoleted items that they no longer support.

Logically, something is broken at CNE.
Post by Animenut deleted November 8th 2021 at 7:34 PM

3 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 7th 2021 at 7:06 PM
Crunchi
Dungeon idol runs are capped at 4.5%, which you reach at area 12,500. If you're running to 20,000, you should ... check the news or discord, or reddit.

The rest, I agree with you. We don't have to buy anything to to 20k. At this point, just Matt, Zuc, and some fire runes. If you have e50+ idols, a bunch of golden gear, and are challenged in Tier 4 dungeons, you should probably check the meta forms on the discord.

My issue is what it was at the beginning. Idols - Crusaders of the lost IDOLS - caps at 12,500 in Season 5. 4.5% is fine, but stretch it over 30,000 areas. Or 20k areas, with stretch rewards to 30k and 40k. We want to go deeper and further, not maximize efficiency and camp at our computers to sprint/warp to 12,500.
Post by Animenut deleted November 8th 2021 at 7:33 PM