Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
desktop launcher
10 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 1st 2020 at 5:05 PM
Cheshirecatqee1875
Do I need to download this to keep playing?
3215 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 2nd 2020 at 10:21 AM
Nickshire (CNE Dev)
Hi Cheshirecatquee1875! Yes. In order to play after December 31st, when the browsers stop supporting Adobe Flash Player which BW2 needs to run, you will need to use the Desktop Launcher to continue playing.
12 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 3rd 2020 at 3:07 PM
enzfyr
OK, stupid question: If I have to buy a new system since I won't be able to keep playing on my Chromebook, do you have any suggestions or tech specs I should look for?
372 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 3rd 2020 at 3:32 PM
phagras
If you're on a tight budget look at refurbished business class machines. My children all have refurb Thinkpads and they are far better than anything I could have got new for the same price.
236 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 3rd 2020 at 6:37 PM
Anubischick
Since there is a thread about this thing I may as well jump in. I just want to check the standalone/portable version package. I play this both at home (full permissions, admin access) and at work (no permissions, user access) so the standalone makes sense to me since I can just put it onto a USB drive and plug and play. However I note that this game is reliant on Adobe AIR to run, is that packaged into the standalone? I don't have permissions to install anything on my work machine for obvious reasons, so if AIR is needed on any machine to make this work the standalone version will not be of use to me.

Let me know, as I'll need to modify my playstyle and probably will slow and eventually stop playing, so I'll be weighing up the ROI on this.

Cheshirecatqee1875, it depends on what you are planning to use your new system for, is it just to play games like this which are flash based and are therefore at EOL and you are going to continue to use your ChromeBook for everything else, or are you planning to move everything over? If it's just for this (and possibly other) game then go the cheaper refurbished route as suggested by Phagras. Otherwise you may want to look at the whole of what you do and match specs then. Refurbished is still a very viable option if you aren't looking for anything high end and don't run graphic or processor intensive applications.

I know people who are still playing this on a Win7 machine with 2gen processors, so you don't need a lot.
3215 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 4th 2020 at 10:45 AM
Nickshire (CNE Dev)
You might be able to put the extracted Windows Zip onto a USB drive and use executable run it from there, though I haven't tested this method.
236 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2020 at 4:38 PM
Anubischick
Hi Nick just to close this loop, the play from USB works. I just tried in on my work machine as I'm in the office today for the first time in 7 months and I can access, so this is obviously fully packaged.
Cheers
3215 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2020 at 5:10 PM
Nickshire (CNE Dev)
That's great to hear! Thank you for following up regarding that. :D
22 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 19th 2020 at 4:48 PM
VisionAri
I've been using the desktop launcher for a couple of weeks now and it's been great. However, my PC (Windows 10) is blocking the update, saying that it could damage my computer.

A pop-up suggested that I update Adobe AIR but I checked and discovered that I already have the latest version.

What's going on?
372 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 20th 2020 at 5:03 AM
phagras
It's because CNE haven't paid Microsoft's protection money to get their digital signature validated. In this case it's OK to override and tell Windows to run it anyway. You know from the developer that there's an update and you downloaded it directly from their site.
10 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 20th 2020 at 3:28 PM
Gordon Taylor
just downloaded v1.2 and it won't let me login. please help!
22 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 20th 2020 at 5:00 PM
VisionAri
Thanks, phagras. Just as an FYI to everyone, once Windows (finally) allowed me to download the update, my security software scanned it automatically and didn't have an issue with it.

Also, as I waded through multiple levels of "Please let me download this!" purgatory, I was finally told that the reason it had been blocked was that it is "not commonly downloaded".
3215 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 4th 2021 at 2:19 PM
Nickshire (CNE Dev)
Glad to hear you were able to get it to work, VisionAri!

I appreciate you helping out, phagras.

Were you able to get the Desktop Launcher working, Gordon?
10 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 4th 2021 at 2:26 PM
Gordon Taylor
yep, all ok now thanks