Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2
Power Multiplier - can this be right?
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 3:57 PM
Marleen Larik
I am currently level 10. I whacked a critter with full power (20). The critter gave me 10 power back. The next critter also had power, 5. The third critter I whacked gave me 3 power back. In other words, I won power, but only half as much as I spent, every time.

I know the multiplier is halved when you hit a critter, but even so, that would mean if I whacked a bush with 20 power, the maximum the loot would be multiplied with would be one...

Can that be right?

In BW 1, when I hit something, even if it is a critter, and I win power, I end up with *more* power than before.
Lvl 260 "Expert Bush Whacker"
307 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 5:36 PM
Dave Stone
I've noticed that when you use a power whack, Almost every time you get nothing.
Lvl 105 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 6:14 PM
Last Edited April 23rd 2012 at 6:15 PM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi Marleen,

In the cases you described it sounds like you won half power and half nothing. I am not sure what you mean by "the maximum loot would be multiplied with would be one" if you whack a bush with 20 power the contents will be multiplied by 20x...

Hi Dave,

Using power has a marginal effect on the odds as you can't win puzzle pieces or custom items with them. In those cases it moves on to the next win. However this difference is so tiny you would not be able to observe a change - not unless you can keep track of thousands of wins in your head :P

So essentially using power has no effect on the odds of getting nothing.

-David
68 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 7:10 PM
Lisa Croke
I've also noticed that it seems I get nothing the majority of the time that I use power to whack a critter; probably about 75% of the time approximately (and I'm only needing at the moment to keep track of a couple of dozen wins to this point, rather than thousands :P).
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 8:15 PM
Marleen Larik
Hi David,

what I mean is this - if I whack a bush with full power, and the bush drops power, the loot is multiplied by the power I invested, so the best I can hope for is getting my power back, but gaining nothing. I remember in BW1 you could boost your power by whacking bushed (and even critters) and getting MORE power out of it than you invested.

In BW2 that would only happen if bushes/critters dropped more than 1 power at a time before the multiplier; but as, like you said, the mana cost for spells is now static I am guessing that they only drop a mana or power vial with a value of "1" at a time - so no more bonuses...
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 8:22 PM
Last Edited April 23rd 2012 at 8:23 PM
Hi Marleen,

Power and mana vials currently go from 1 to 4 in size. So a lucky power win of the largest size 4 using 5 power would net you 20 power. Same goes for mana.

-David
Lvl 39 "Is Puzzled"
150 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 23rd 2012 at 11:43 PM
Last Edited April 23rd 2012 at 11:44 PM
Lottie Mytho
For the record ... just whacked a level 3 caterpillar with 9 power and recieved 17 power back. Can't give the details as the flsks materialising masked the text. There were some greater than 1 flasks and some 1 flasks. (This is the first time a power whack has returned more than it used however)
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 24th 2012 at 5:01 AM
Marleen Larik
Thanks guys!
Lvl 300 "Expert Bush Whacker"
27 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 28th 2012 at 5:08 PM
Steven Lerch
I smacked a bee with 12power and got 10 lanterns and 3 puzzle pieces is this a bug or new way to happen
Lvl 74 "Nate's Apprentice"
741 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 2nd 2012 at 8:44 AM
Nate Dauer
If you win 1 power, and use it, it does nothing (because 1 x anything = 1 anything). That said, you need at least 2 power for a power-whack to be useful.

1 power x 1 power = 1 power (unhelpful)
+2 power x +2 power = +4 power (helpful)

In BW1, only level 1 bushes dropped the 1-power vials. Level 1 bushes were only in the tutorial and 4 other zones in-game. That said, the player did not have the potential to run into this problem for very long. The issue of unhelpful dividing with power-whacks on monsters stuck around a little bit longer, arguably until the player reached the island for the first time, but it didn't happen very often so it too went largely unnoticed.

Exponential gains make for a nice system, but at the earliest stages and the later stages, issues can arise (no gains and excessive gains). With the "cracked vial" update, the "excessive gain" issue has become largely eliminated from BW1, and as I mentioned, "no gain" issues were almost non-existant since they were a problem isolated to only 4 areas in-game.

However...

In BW2, 1-power vials are the most common type by far, and thus while the "excessive gain" issue is virtually non-existant, the "no gain" issue is quite common.

If you use a power-whack on a bush and gain power from it, you will only gain the exact amount of power you used back. Meaning that, really, all you did was spend energy and gain experience. In fact, this is actually less than what they would've gained had they simply used a "normal" whack on the bush.

This needs to be changed, as it makes power almost pointless.

Option 1:

Add 1 to every power-whack when used.

That is:
When a x1 power whack is used, it will actually act as a x2 multiplier.
When a x2 power whack is used, it will actually act as a x3 multiplier.
When a x3 power whack is used, it will actually act as a x4 multiplier.
etc.

This way, should the player get power from their power-whack, they at least end up with 1 more power than they had before. It also makes x1 multipliers useful.

Option 2:

Make the 1-power vials into 2-power vials.
Make the 2-power vials into 3-power vials.

This ensures that the player will never have a useless x1 multiplier, as well as ensuring that if the player gets power from a power-whack they will at least get more power.

This way power can always result in a profit, assuming they don't get "nothing".
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 5th 2012 at 5:26 AM
Marleen Larik
> If you use a power-whack on a bush and gain power from it, you will only gain the
> exact amount of power you used back. Meaning that, really, all you did was spend
> energy and gain experience. In fact, this is actually less than what they would've
> gained had they simply used a "normal" whack on the bush.

And divide THAT by two when whacking critters...

You worded it better than I did.

Are 1-power vials becoming less common on higher levels? If so - I'm okay with the system as it is now; if not - I would be more okay with some adjustment, as per Nate's suggestions.
Lvl 307 "Revolutionary"
39 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 5th 2012 at 5:31 AM
ATMarsden95
Slowly, but surely, the larger vials are getting more common, Marleen, so the winnings from powerwhacks are getting more valuable.
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 5th 2012 at 5:36 AM
Marleen Larik
Good! Thanks for the info.
I'm happy to put up a little more of a grind in the newbie stage.
Lvl 128 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
26 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 12th 2012 at 8:40 PM
Jeffery Roberts
Dear David (DJ Arts),

I got multiple puzzle pieces and quest items with power whack. However, Almost 99% of the time when I use it, I get NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be it a critter or a bush. Needs to be fixed and asap! This is getting ridiculous
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 13th 2012 at 10:17 AM
Last Edited May 13th 2012 at 10:18 AM
Hi Jeffery,

While I realize it may feel like you are getting 99% nothing after you win a few nothings in a row, in actuality you win items with the same odds as normal whacks. We do not adjust your odds when using power.

(the only exception is puzzle pieces, you can't multiply them so they get skipped in a power whack. This doesn't result in nothing however it just picks another item using the normal odds).

-David
Lvl 137 "Expert Bush Whacker"
39 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 14th 2012 at 11:21 PM
Sarah Fischer
What I don't understand when it comes to the power part is that sometimes I whack a critter, and I get unmultiplied coins but have nothing x12 (or whatever). If the whack on the critter is multiplied, shouldn't everything it drops be?
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2012 at 7:39 AM
Hi Sarah,

Everything is definitely multiplied correctly when you power whack a critter.

Are you talking about the coins not saying 3 Coins x 12? Because when you multiply items like coins, 12 sets of 3 coins would come out instead of saying x12. Nothing is a special case because its hard to pop out 12 nothings and make it easy to understand.

-David
39 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 16th 2012 at 3:55 PM
Sarah Fischer
No, I mean only like 3 coins coming out and then nothing being multiplied by 12 and it being from the same thing (i.e. a bee)
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 16th 2012 at 4:02 PM
Hi Sarah,

That should be impossible. Keep an eye out for it if it happens again open a support ticket and we can check your play history and see exactly what happened.

-David
39 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 16th 2012 at 4:08 PM
Sarah Fischer
Okie doke :)