Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Let's talk about the stamina system

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 4th 2014 at 9:51 AM
TsukasaWM
As more and more features get added, I think it's becoming more and more apparent that something needs to change with the stamina system. Currently with everything costing 20 stamina, you get 100 each day, plus 20 fishing. That's 6 missions you can attempt each day. The event area slip up showed that the event missions also cost stamina. I can understand that you need to encourage people to purchase shardium to keep the game running, but this isn't the way to do it. Something needs to change to give people better access to completing missions if you want people to stay interested. Just look through the comments on Kongregate so far, the majority are people saying they thought this is a great game, but didn't bother because of stamina. There has to be a better solution then what's in place now.

793 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 4th 2014 at 11:04 AM
Justin Stocks (CNE Dev)
This is something we're acutely aware of. There are a couple of ways we're planning to or already addressing it.

1) We're adding features that don't cost stamina, such as the Hall of Trials, many of the Paragon Tasks, Multiplayer, eventually World Bosses, and more.

2) As we have more single-player content available we'll most likely bump the potential fishing amount up, resulting in up to 10 free missions per day. Right now we have less than 50 single-player missions in the game -- that's including travel missions -- meaning that even at only 6 missions per day you've consumed all of our content in less than 9 days, and that's not counting the ~300 stamina you get on day one which bumps that number down to a week. Stamina is essentially a single-player content consumption limiter.

It's also worth noting that many of those comments on Kong come from a time before we adjusted what unlocks on day one. At that time once you ran out of stamina on day one there was nothing else to do in the game. With the recent changes to low-level balance, players will unlock the arena and hall of trials before they run out of stamina, giving you a bunch of non-stamina locked content to consume. On day two you'll unlock multiplayer, which is an additional 5 runs per day that don't take stamina. Ideally as we move forward, stamina-locked content accounts for less and less of your daily play time.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 4th 2014 at 12:33 PM
TsukasaWM
That may be true, but it's not not so much an issue of running out, as it is feeling like you're not making progress and finishing too fast each day. If you do secondary missions, you're only clearing 3 missions a day, 6 if you skip them. That's all assuming you can actually finish each mission as well. Overall, the missions are mostly pretty short let's, for the sake of argument say on average you finish a mission in 5 mins, 30 mins later you're out of stamina and can't make any more progress. It can get frustrating to people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be unfair, I totally get we're barely into the lifecycle of this game so there isn't as much to do, but first impressions are a big deal if you want people to stick around.

So then you go do other stuff. 5 MP runs doesn't take all that long either, and loses it's purpose to some extent depending on how lucky you get on the equipment rewards. HoT doesn't take very long either. Running through the bosses you've beaten goes fast and getting to the next one doesn't take too much time either, not to mention you die once and you're done for the day. Arena, only takes long because of the cooldown, the problem is that once you get high enough in the arena it becomes so hard to win anymore that it's easy to lose interest in it. Not to mention the general repeatiness of all these things.

The other problem is, yeah, if you're someone like me who does do all that everyday then yeah you can eat up time, but I wouldn't consider myself an average player. There's a lot of casual players out there that aren't going to care about the arena, they're not going to want to deal with MP or have bad connections, etc etc. For people that really just play for the campaign the day ends far to quickly. At the very least you could let people earn level stars even when out of stamina so they can have a reason to keep going back and trying campaign missions again.

I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of the recent updates are awesome for us players with more time to invest in the game, but fairly restrictive to those that might not be able to play very much every day, if even every day. I really think we need some smaller things that aren't so restrictive for the more casual players to mess around with.

92 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 4th 2014 at 1:24 PM
Defiar
Justin....really appreciate how you guys take into account what the players are saying. I would just throw in a rebuttal to one comment you made. You mention many of the Brotherhood tasks not requiring stamina but in function, this is not true. 2 refreshes in a row today, my only tasks were heroic missions. Often I get the clear level 30 hall first, then later get the others so I can not do them. I rarely get the donate ones but they aren't very good anyway.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 4th 2014 at 2:07 PM
TsukasaWM
I don't know if you saw his other posts, but there was a glitch with those quests not getting re-used.