Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Take out the mandatory skill point in auto-attack

32 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 8th 2014 at 9:11 PM
VDBai
Auto attack should be built into the game in a basic form. If you choose to respec to remove that point, you should have the option to.

Companions are built into the game, with their combat systems in-tact - you have the choice to put skill points into the leadership skill to boost their skills.

If I do not choose to use auto-attack primarily, but choose to use Magic Arrow, Strike, or Firebolt, I don't want to be penalized by having to choose one of my 3 skills at 30 to level up to 9.

Please fix this problem, as many players agree that the mandatory point in auto-attack is counterproductive to their ideal builds, and thus limiting/discouraging to the player base.

25 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 8th 2014 at 9:17 PM
Last Edited November 8th 2014 at 9:17 PM
Sils
VD is right. With the way skills currently work, the scalings they give, and because we're forced 1 point into autoattack, the best warrior build I could come up with is: 10 points healthy, 10 points strong, and 10 points auto-attack. This build deals more damage per turn than if I had put 9 into Strike and 1 into auto-attack. If I could remove that point, I'd be able to go 10 into Strike instead for comparable damage and more Rage per turn.

I'll reserve the can of worms related to why I see no point ranking up my other skills for another time, though. I don't believe much thought was put into the abilities of the warrior and the archer, and it shows.

45 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 9th 2014 at 10:52 AM
trish_l
I agree. Since Fireball/Strike/Magic Arrow cost 0 arcane/rage/energy anyways, if players don't have a point in auto attack, I don't see why it can't default to that skill instead.

2 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 10th 2014 at 7:48 AM
Zilas
100% agree, You should let us pick 3 skills to max out not 2 skills to max out and one at 9 .. It doesn't feel right at all, it feels broken. you're basically always going to be one point short to get a bonus for whichever skill, unless you max out auto attack

32 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 10th 2014 at 5:17 PM
VDBai
Still seeking input from developers.

92 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 11th 2014 at 6:52 PM
Defiar
Just want to also throw my vote in for this. I would really love to have 3 skills maxed right now.

33 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 2:41 AM
Last Edited November 12th 2014 at 2:43 AM
Derringer
I'd like to see a good reason to put points in auto-attack over power-generating attack, other than, you know, it being auto. At low point values, Staff Lore has a higher percentage component than Fireball, but at 15 points Fireball has a higher percentage as well as a fixed baseline and a chance to splash, and Staff Lore never makes up the power gain gap. Perhaps Staff Lore should either build up percentage faster and higher or have a speed advantage?

32 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 3:17 PM
VDBai
Update?

793 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 3:32 PM
Justin Stocks (CNE Dev)
Hi folks! Good discussion!

We've talked about this a bit in the office and we hear your concerns. Unfortunately, having a point in the auto attack skill is required by the battle system, so taking it out completely would be a fair amount of work. What we're thinking of doing instead is giving you that first point for free, and allowing you to spend the skill point that's normally spent there elsewhere. We'd probably change the visual display a bit to make it clear that the first point of the AA skill is free and locked and can't be changed. Does this sound like a fair compromise?

221 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 3:34 PM
Elharith
I like that idea.

45 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 3:34 PM
trish_l
An extra skill point would be a nice compromise. I'm down with that.

32 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 5:32 PM
VDBai
Sounds good to me as well Justin.

32 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 5:32 PM
VDBai
Sounds good to me as well Justin.

8 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 12th 2014 at 5:42 PM
Marfa
yep sounds good justin

92 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 13th 2014 at 6:14 AM
Defiar
Thanks Justin. Also agree this is a great work-around.

14 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 13th 2014 at 12:49 PM
Blotto
on the subject of "auto attack" my companion lilinth has 15 points into auto attack(WTF???) and will fire AOE at the single enemy left on the screen....
how about some control of the companion spec and some TLC on their AI?

32 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 14th 2014 at 1:57 AM
Last Edited November 14th 2014 at 1:58 AM
VDBai
I also really, really like Derringer's idea of beefing up auto-attack to make it a suitable alternative to fire bolt/magic arrow/strike besides the proc chance that the latter has.