Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
FAQ: Luck, Endurence, Strength, Intellegence and Dex - OH MY!

593 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 3rd 2014 at 10:36 AM
Last Edited October 3rd 2014 at 10:48 AM
Kittychix (Chloe)
By popular request:

When you are trying to choose gear, please keep the following in mind:

For each 1 Point of....

Dexterity
...Dexterity = 1.5 Points of Attack Damage, 1.5 of Ability Power, 0.5 Points of Armor, 0.5 of Magic Resistance

Endurance:
...Endurance = +20 Points of Health

Intelligence:
...Intelligence = 3 Points of Ability Power, 1 Point of Magic Resistance

Luck:
...Luck = +6 Points of Critical Hit

Strength:
...Strength = 3 Points of Attack, 1 Point of Armor

679 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 4th 2014 at 11:19 AM
jpl77
1. why make attributes that incorporate other attributes, seems rather redundant and confusing? I would prefer seeing the stats separated and know my total values

2. why call it endurance when it is health or hit points?

I would recommend standardizing these attributes like other games in the genre. It will make it easier for new players to understand.

Like dexterity, I was thinking it would be a dodge, parry or even the ability to attack first. You have "speed" which I would think would be character movement speed, but you guys have made it into which player attacks first. Confusing.

Your intelligence, I was expecting that attribute to enable me to gain xp faster or to get lower prices when purchasing items from the shops.

21 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 5th 2014 at 1:39 AM
PhailRaptor
1) All of this information should be found in mouseover tooltips on the character profile page for those 5 stats.

2) What does Speed do then? It does not appear to relate to time between combat actions, and it would be pointless to have it affect character movespeed. So... ???

3) I feel like Endurance only giving health is a bit sad. The 0.5 Armor and 0.5 MR from Dex should be move to Endurance.

4) To replace the lost/moved defense stats from Dex, implement a new Dodge or Block stat. Additionally, reduce the amount of Crit given from Luck, replacing it with an equivalent amount of the new Dodge/Block.

All of that said... What exactly is the point of having the character stats playing middle-man for the battle stats? Right now it seems like the only reason is to allow for "double dipping" for items and class specific passive skills. It would be a fairly simple matter to outmode the base stats, replacing all instances of them with the equivalent amount of battle stats. This would remove an unnecessary layer of complexity that as it stands only serves to confuse the player.

91 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 5th 2014 at 5:21 AM
shikitenshi
lol, I'm glad I didn't know this when I chose skills. I thought they were like in other rpg and class related. it seems not but it didn't matter anyway looks like everybody is doing a good job :)

886 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 5th 2014 at 11:17 AM
Last Edited October 5th 2014 at 11:19 AM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi Jason, and PhailRaptor,

In my experience with RPG's (which is fairly extensive) everything from recent hits like Diablo 3, to World of Warcraft, to Fallout, to pen and paper D&D and everything in-between it is normal to have primary character stats, and then derived game system stats that affect other aspects such as (but not limited to) battle.

As we currently only have one set of derived stats - the stats for use in battle - you might be quick to suggest just make the battle stats your main stats and forget about having the battle stats be made from the character stats. I think this would be limiting to any future systems we might add that would use the character stats. Endurance for example contributes to your heath in battle, but it might contribute to how long you could hold your breath in maybe a swimming system, or how long before your character is effected by poison, disease, or radiation. Luck could contribute to how well you do in a gambling mini-game, and Strength might effect how well you do in an arm wrestling mini-game. These are just off the top of my head examples but I hope it helps to illustrate why we derive the battle stats.

shikitenshi - The skills you get are class specific. Each class has a different selection of skills to choose from when assigning skill points.

In case it is helpful I put together a few images with some details on the stats screens:

21 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 5th 2014 at 10:54 PM
Last Edited October 6th 2014 at 2:23 AM
PhailRaptor
Those 3 images are exactly the kind of things I want to see. (Typo in the first one though -- Wizards use Ability Power, not Attack Power).

Regarding Speed... Is this hooked up and running right now? Because it does not feel like it. I would expect that Lilith, for example, should be attacking more often than a Wizard would. However, I have not yet observed her getting "extra" attacks before mine (playing a Wizard). But then again it could just be a perception issue because there is no "action clock" or what have you to display this during battle.

886 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 6th 2014 at 6:56 AM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi PhailRaptor,

Good catch on the typo, it is fixed now (you may have to forcibly tell your browser to re-download that image).

It is possible speed isn't working exactly as intended right now. It does appear as though its not making a difference, so it is on our list to look into.

112 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 10th 2014 at 9:49 AM
Carolyn Schwartz
This is all super helpful, thanks. I wish I had read it before I spent research time on stats that don't help (i.e. ability for a warrior).

33 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 15th 2014 at 1:42 PM
Derringer
So how does the critical value translate to actual chance to deliver?

73 Posts
Link to post - Posted October 20th 2014 at 7:43 AM
Glenna Howell
swirly eyes - so confusing!