Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2
House Decorating Contest Opt Out

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th 2011 at 10:04 PM
Bob Woods
Could ya'll come up with a way for those of us who aren't interested in participating in the House Decorating Contest to not get begged to vote? I think the contest is an amazing idea, but it is something that I am not interested in participating in and there may even be 1 or 2 other people that would like this for X-mas, Christmas, Happy Santa Day, Hanukka, Kwanzaa, Yule, Winter Solstice, Bah Humbug Day, etc.

579 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2011 at 10:28 AM
Ruth Orozco
hear, hear--I second that!!

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2011 at 3:11 PM
Raymond
I don't understand. Do you have hundreds of friends playing, and many of those posting to your wall every day? I have perhaps 100 friends, and perhaps only 2 or 3 notifications A WEEK. And you know what, I pretty much ignore any and all notifications. There are a few I'll do like helping someones Giant since there is no other way for them to complete that.

So, I'm trying to understand your need to 'opt out'. What exactly do you mean?

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2011 at 8:09 PM
Bob Woods
Raymond, I play 8 games daily, most of those games end up with me getting a minimum of 40 requests per game. Here, I get between 20-30 requests per day, so I try to cycle through all of the requests as fast as possible so I can play, since I have limited time online due to kids and my lovely wife. The House Decorating Contest is one of the few requests that throw me into the game, so I can't just click it and then hit the back button. Does this explain why I want that?

Thanks for the support Ruth!

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2011 at 9:36 PM
Raymond
yes I understand a little.
but if you open your 'game requests' link you will see what each request for each game is.
only click the ones that you want to click.
but since any other bushwhacker request can be seen and satisfied elsewhere by talking to Sasha, then why not 'block all posts' by bushwhacker? that way no notifications will happen and nothing will get to your wall. doing that on your wall might block the game so do the blocking in the game ticker feed instead.

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 8th 2011 at 10:59 PM
Bob Woods
I do open my requests and try to delete the House Deco Contest, but I usually miss 1 or sometimes I get 1 while I am moving through the requests, and yes they do pop up in my game request area before the little facebook notification thing pops up for me, in case you are wondering. I don't block Bushwhacker because it it an easy way for me to select who I am sending Giant requests to and I don't think the Giant quests can be done through Sasha. I am usually playing BW right before I put my son to bed or when my wife puts him to bed and falls asleep with him and my daughter is in my lap, so either way, I usually have a kid in my lap "helping" me, so things get overlooked or the quickwhack gets hit before I can power up to hit a monster or bush or I use a spell when there is 1 bush of that spell level and 5 of the next level up, etc, etc, etc. IF I had more time, this wouldn't be a huge concern, though I do find it annoying, especially when I tell folks in advance that I do not vote for that crap. Hell, I would even be happy if you could just go to an area to vote on the houses, they have that option in another game I play, only you go to vote on cars, lol.

5 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 4th 2012 at 11:05 PM
Gerald Grealish
I agree I would love to opt out of the Decorating contest

741 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 12:40 AM
Nate Dauer
This is why you shouldn't add so many people, especially people you know nothing about. I only had one person who would bug me to vote for them, and I'm guessing they either won or gave up because I no longer get notifications from them.

It should be a given that the mass-adding of strangers is going to result in problems. Bush Whacker, unlike most games doesn't not provide an over-abundance of incentives to mass-add strangers, so I really don't think it's fair to try to pin this problem you've created on the developers.

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 1:36 AM
Bob Woods
Thanks for the additional support Gerald!

Nate, I only have 212 friends on facebook, I don't do the mass add. I have to agree with your statement, BW doesn't provide an incentive to have a lot of friends beyond the friend tokens & daily lottery. For me though, I truly enjoy helping the newer players get their gates open and their houses built. As to me trying to pin this on the developers, I am not. I think it is a cool feature, but it isn't something everyone wants to be a part of. You and Raymond both talk about it from a position of having limited interaction with this, so it isn't as big a thing to ya'll, which is good for you. Now, if you both were in my shoes, it might have been ya'll asking for this feature. Also, it isn't like I am on the General Discussion page crying about it, I am in the right place to ask for something that I would like and something that obviously 2 other people would like. As to the problem I created, well, let's look at this, there is nothing else in this game that forces us to participate when we click on it or forces us to participate in game, like the holiday events. We don't have to play those and the other stuff you can just hit back or click accept more gifts. The H.D.C. throws you into another players house, not back into your game. Other games have similar judging contests that you can enter from the game so that you are the one CHOOSING that. By your logic, there is no need for a back button on browsers or for the double and triple checks that computers have for deleting items. So as you can see, our 3 to you and Raymond's 2 wins! HAHAHA!!

Honestly Nate, the way you worded your statements can be easily taken offense to, but I really don't think that is your intention, is it? You word your statements as if everyone is either dumber than you or in kindergarten, do you realize that? I am genuinely curious and I am asking, so please forgive me if I am offending you, that isn't my intention. Mind you, I didn't take offense, but as I was re-reading my answers and your statements to make sure I addressed everything, I realized that if I wasn't in a good mood, I could see myself getting irritated over your comments. That in turn prompted me to re-read the whole flippin thing and I realized that I let some of my aggrivation with the H.D.C. pass through in my original post when I said, "to not get begged to vote". I never should have put that in there. This is what I would say now, "Could ya'll come up with a way for those of us who aren't interested in participating in the House Decorating Contest to opt out of being eligible to vote?"

307 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 6:45 AM
Dave Stone
I think a limit on how many time's someone can ask the same person to vote for their house is needed. I do take part in the house contest, But some people overdo it by asking several time's a day, Which is annoying.

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 9:42 AM
Last Edited January 5th 2012 at 9:42 AM
Raymond
If you willy nilly click every game request then of course you are going to be pushed into things that you don't want to do.

Here's an idea that you apparently are not aware of.
Go to your home page.
Click on Apps and Games.
Isn't it amazing that facebook sorts all the game requests into separate games?
And isn't it amazing that bushwhacker really spells out what each and every game request is for?
And right click and open whatever ones you want to do in a separate tab.
So don't click on House ones, period. Your desire already exists and has from the very beginning. I remember telling someone else about this when they were whining that the Giant request does not have a 'any more requests' button.

Oh bye the way, I have perhaps 500 friends, perhaps 100 play this game. Perhaps 0 of them ever send the house request one. And I only ever click on the Giant ones since that's important to help with, this is the only way. All the daily spin ones I ignore, not worth the time. And as for the House one, perhaps 0 send them send it since everyone knows that you can post it to your wall and that if you send it to specific people you have to use the buggy 'bw players filter'. That filter only shown 40% of the people I'm friends with who I know play the game. P.S. If you post it to your wall then you have the potential benefit of getting new people into the game and you might be the one to get all the friend tokens from them.

307 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 5:35 PM
Last Edited January 5th 2012 at 5:36 PM
Dave Stone
Some player's may want to take part in the house contest, But not get several request's from 1 or more player's they have added.
The "I remember telling someone else about this when they were whining that the Giant request does not have a 'any more requests' button." person was me. And i certainly was'nt whining about it, I was hoping the dev's would read the post and and add it to the one request where this does not appear.
There's only one whining old git here and that's you, GET A LIFE!

579 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 7:56 PM
Ruth Orozco
Where are the "forum nazis" when we need them? I thought this Feature Requests was supposed to be communication b/w players and devs. If someone would like to see a feature, they post it here. If you agree with the request, indicate as such. If you don't think it's necessary, maybe a simple "I've never had a problem" or don't post anything! This forum is not meant to talk others out of their opinions or tell them how to manage their FB/BW experience. The ability to opt out of the decorating contest wouldn't affect anyone except those of us who don't want to do it, so why is this sparking such a big to-do?? Nothing else to argue about??!!

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 5th 2012 at 10:35 PM
Bob Woods
@ Dave, thank you for the support!
@Ruth, I like your style!
@ Raymond, that is why you have people here go off on you!! Raymond, you are capable of being a very nice person and you always try to help out, yet you also sound like you believe you are either smarter than everyone else or that everyone on here is in kindergarten. If you read my 3rd reply on here, posted December 8th at 9:59 pm, what you said is covered and answered. As you have said, you get 0, yes, Z-E-R-O, requests for this. You might change your tune if out of that 100 friends who play BW, you had at least 33 of them sending you multiple requests per week, let alone per DAY. Yes, you, I quote, "only ever click on the Giant ones since that's important to help with, this is the only way. All the daily spin ones I ignore, not worth the time." You are not in my shoes or the 4 others who agree with me and you either didn't read my other posts or didn't comprehend them, so you sit here and talk down to me and everyone who disagrees with you. Why? Now Raymond, I didn't get mad, I treated you as an intelligent person who couldn't see why myself & others might want this and tried to answer every question you asked as in depth as possible. Now I freely admit, it is a feature wish of convenience to make my life easier, but so what? I am not crying and whining that it is unfair. I am not saying the Devs are lazy. I am not saying that it should be this way across the board for everyone. All I am asking for, in the FEATURE REQUEST section, is something that would give me a bit more CHOICE and make my life easier. Where is the harm in asking for that? If I apply simple logic to your statements and to Nate's statements, why do you need a remote control for your devices? Why do you need a phone to call people? Why do you need facebook to play games? Why do you need a car for that matter? You can just walk to whatever you need to do. Making our lives easier or better has been the driving force behind most of the inventions you currently live with and enjoy! Here is the response you missed or ignored to your statement of, " If you willy nilly click every game request then of course you are going to be pushed into things that you don't want to do." I do open my requests and try to delete the House Deco Contest, but I usually miss 1 or sometimes I get 1 while I am moving through the requests, and yes they do pop up in my game request area before the little facebook notification thing pops up for me, in case you are wondering. Raymond, IF you had read the earlier mentioned reply, you would have seen that.

@Raymond & Nate- I am irritated now, you succeeded! For all the good you do helping people, are you both just not happy unless you are starting drama? I ask that you answer that question. Do I come onto your posts and tell you how stupid your ideas are? Do you guys ever, E-V-E-R, read and process the CRAP that spills from your fingers? Do you ever give thought to OTHER people or how they may interpret your words? Or do you feel that since you never actually see any of us, that you can just say what you want, with no filter and no consequence? I ask you both to give serious thought to what I have said and answer me honestly. I would like to understand you both so that I can either avoid getting irritated further by your comments and possibly help others understand that ya'll aren't trying to be asinine or so I can just ignore you both as it appears that you like to instigate trouble. Please, change the way I am starting to view you or learn how to talk to people. If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of an idea, state it! Then people won't want to give you both an Atomic Wedgie!

741 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 6th 2012 at 10:12 PM
Nate Dauer
To answer one of your questions: I realize that my writing often does come across as being condescending.

To explain why fully would take a long time, but the relatively short explanation is different people think different ways. Babies think in colors, which is why an adult (who does not think in colors) cannot access their infant-aged memories. I think in concepts, ideas and patterns, which is unusual. Most other people do not think this way, and therefore, communicating in this way is highly unusual, so I always have to "translate" an idea/concept/pattern into words, and words into ideas/concepts/patterns. The easiest way for me to do this is to outline the concept one step at a time. Which is often what I end up writing.

...but in this case I actually was just being a cranky drama llama. Sorry. :P

Back on topic:

If you only have between 200 and 250 FB friends, how do you still get spammed with decorating requests? It may just be best to tell the people individually to stop...

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 7th 2012 at 2:30 AM
Bob Woods
@Nate, thanks for actually answering my question. I understand how hard it is to translate the thoughts in ones head into words. I do better with it when I write it out, instead of talking. When I am writing, I can take the time to look at, process and refine my thoughts in something more coherent with a lot less rambling. As to your question, I used to tell people straight out when I got an add me request that I didn't do the H.D.C., put after awhile I noticed that very few people noticed or if not that, they just asked me anyways. The ones who ask like once a week, they don't really bother me. Like Dave above is one my friends and I get one from him every so often, which I feel is no big deal. I have a few others who I won't name who hit me up multiple times a day sometimes. I deleted one guy because he would send me one as soon as I logged on AND send me a message asking me to go vote for him within a minute of sending the request. He is actually the one who prompted this post, lol. As to how I get so many, I don't really know beyond maybe just being lucky enough to have a lot of people who try to interact with me within the games I play. I get the bulk of my H.D.C. requests on Mondays, I think & it is probably only 4-8 players who ask. I think it is usually the ones who send me duplicate requests that I end up overlooking, which causes the frustration. I have actually given up on trying to convince people that I am not interested in the H.D.C. and this post was more of a vent for the frustration I felt. As I had told Raymond in an earlier reply, I do open my requests and try to delete the H.D.C., but I usually miss 1 or sometimes I get 1 while I am moving through the requests, and yes they do pop up in my game request area before the little facebook notification thing pops up for me.

Yesterday wasn't a great day for me, so when I stepped in here and saw Raymond being Captain Cranky Pants it made me re-read everything, which in turn made me become Mr. Fussy Britches and we ended up with my rant, lol. I think what sent me over the top, was that I thought I had done a decent job of providing all the information I could to show that it wasn't just a random bit nonsense by my last post on 12/8/2011. When I popped in to see Raymond talkin about willy nilly & sayin there was an idea I wasn't aware of, it was just a match to gasoline. I guess the drama llama bit me on the butt as well, lol. So I guess I am saying that I am sorry for going off on both Nate and Raymond in my last reply. Now hopefully Raymond will pop in here and read this, lol.

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 7th 2012 at 5:33 AM
Last Edited January 7th 2012 at 5:34 AM
Raymond
Perhaps the 'real' request here should be that the Developers should program the House Request the same way that they program the Giants request. I dare you to try to send more than one of those a day. You can't, it says something like "you already did that today, please wait till tomorrow."

741 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 7th 2012 at 11:02 PM
Nate Dauer
"I deleted one guy because he would send me one as soon as I logged on AND send me a message asking me to go vote for him within a minute of sending the request. He is actually the one who prompted this post, lol. As to how I get so many, I don't really know beyond maybe just being lucky enough to have a lot of people who try to interact with me within the games I play."

If the person is truly doing this to the extent that you are describing (and you're not just exaggerating to make a point), then it sounds to me like they are using a bot, and they should probably be reported/looked into.

162 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 8th 2012 at 1:13 AM
Bob Woods
@Raymond, that would be fine as well. I personally just want a better way to deal with it. I would be cool with having a zone I could go to to just browse houses and vote on them when I wanted to, but I am not sure if that is feasible.

@ Nate, I had actually spoken with the guy, we just seemed to be on at the same time mostly. He wasn't using a bot, not sure if he would even know what that is to be honest. He would also do it in another game we shared called Car Town, he would send me a request for parts & then message me to also send him the same parts so he could get 2. Also, it wasn't everyday, sometimes I would get on earlier, so he would only send the requests when/if he got on at his usual time.

I will admit I have been slightly tempted to be a twit and just do the H.D.C. and spam the heck out of everyone that spammed me with the requests, but I won't. If I ever start really tryin to decorate it instead just dumpin the items in it, I might actually want to try it just to get the winning items, so that keeps me from doin it, lol.

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 8th 2012 at 6:53 AM
Raymond
Another thing you could do is instead of unfriending him is to 'hide all posts by him'.
I have not done that, and I'm not sure what that really does. If he's a real friend of yours you probably wouldn't want to do that, but if he's just a game playing friend that might be good.