Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2
Forcing/Coercing Friends to Play
Lvl 125 "Power Whacker"
14 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 3rd 2012 at 10:16 AM
Nikita Nopants
Seems like there are several people on here saying they hate the feature where you're forced to get your friends to play. Wayne doesn't just mean himself when he talks about that, if you look back at the posts here. Also, I talk to many people in person that are on my FB friends list, and they hate getting game invites for games they don't want to play. People have this idea that the ads for the games will let them know what there is out there, and if they want something they've heard about but don't see, they can go to the games section of Facebook and look it up.

I understand wanting to make money from something you've made. The developers work on these games, they put in long hours and major effort, and we get something fun to play. But being stopped dead in my tracks because the only way forward is to coerce two of my friends into playing - when they don't want to recieve game invites, and I've already sent out invites to the people I don't know in person - is enough to make me think about quitting the game. It looks good so far, and I know it would probably be a lot of fun if I could get by the place where I'm stuck. So maybe you could make the friend slots available for bush bucks OR coins, and let the player choose which currency to use. If people like a game enough and actually have eough money that they can send some of it away, they'll buy bush bucks for other things that crop up in the game. It's just that forcing me to a halt right at the beginning when I'm just getting into the game makes me feel like the developers are only in this for the money, not the creativity aspect, or the idea that people are enjoying their game.
Lvl 105 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 3rd 2012 at 10:26 AM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi Nikita, Read Waynes post, the "They" to "You" in the context of his original question from his point of view means "DJArts Games" not him.
Lvl 125 "Power Whacker"
14 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 3rd 2012 at 11:51 AM
Nikita Nopants
[Quoting from your earlier post: Hi Wayne,

Assuming by "they" you mean "you" then Yes, and actions are take if it makes sense in all effected aspects.

-David ]

In that context, it seemed like you were inferring that Wayne was the only person complaining about the feature we've been talking about, and the only one who wanted his voice heard. Misunderstanding on my part. Still, I stand by what I've said on this board since the beginning.
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 3rd 2012 at 12:29 PM
Hi Nikita,

Yes it sounds that way if you take it out of context. Please don't take this as me being mean or insulting, but reading the above posts and making sure you understand them before replying really helps everyone! It is always very frustrating to have to repeat yourself because someone didn't take a moment to think about what was being said.

We have made some adjustments to the friend help requirements. Starting with the next code rollout (probably this afternoon) friends will be able to help again every 48 hours. This should allow players who only have 1 or 2 friends playing to still be able to get through the blocks.

-David
Lvl 125 "Power Whacker"
14 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 4th 2012 at 2:04 AM
Nikita Nopants
I'm confused as to how I took that post out of context. That's the whole post there. It just seemed to me that by "you" you meant Wayne instead of yourself or the game developers. Honestly, I don't see where I took anything out of context. It was a simple misunderstanding.
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 4th 2012 at 8:35 AM
Hi Nikita,

The context of the post includes the post it was replying too.
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 5th 2012 at 5:13 AM
Last Edited May 5th 2012 at 5:15 AM
Marleen Larik
> David Whittaker (DJArts Games):
>
> We have made some adjustments to the friend help requirements. Starting with the next
> code rollout (probably this afternoon) friends will be able to help again every 48
> hours. This should allow players who only have 1 or 2 friends playing to still be
> able to get through the blocks.

I applaud this change - it should take some heat out of the discussion.

I'm glad; Honestly, the only reason why I still play BW2 is because a handful of my BW1 contacts (which I had added as strangers and hated myself for it) migrated over. So for me, it all fell into place. But for many NEW players who hadn't played BW1 before, I think the friend gates are one big turn-off.

Thank you for listening to everyone's feedback.
Lvl 125 "Power Whacker"
14 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 5th 2012 at 2:21 PM
Nikita Nopants
I'm at Level 99 in BW1 and two of my friends are listed as players. They don't actually play, just signed on, got their characters and disappeared. Not the kind of game they were looking for, I suppose, but that didn't matter to me because the quests that require friend help in BW1 aren't essential for moving forward in the game.

I have a solution here: maybe the BW2 developers would all add each of us from this forum thread to their friends lists, and they could be our friends in the game.
Lvl 185 "Swashbuckler"
4 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 6th 2012 at 10:42 AM
Jacob Rice
So what i gather from how this works is screw anybody who is poor or doesnt have friends (or possibly suffers from a mental disorder where making friends is extremely hard, and/or doesnt like friending random strangers)
2 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 6th 2012 at 1:08 PM
Rod McMahon
Like the game Wish we could just Hire them (sends them and invite ONCE) and them move on after no one has to say yes and no one has to wait for a yes to play.

David Whittaker (DJArts Games)
Hi Wayne and Nikita,

While I understand the initial reaction of not wanting to put money into a "fake game" or into something your not going to "get to own and hold in the real world" but that reaction is not considering that what you are getting is entertainment. Its like spending a few dollars at an arcade, or $13 to see a movie at the theater. That $13 would get you through a months worth of friend gates, and it comes without the risk of a bad movie!

If you enjoy it and you are getting entertainment value from it then it is money well spent. If you don't enjoy it, then what are you doing here?! go find something that you do :)

-David

^^^^ this is not what I would call a good dev stand point I would think that you would bend over backwards in order for us to be happy and get us to spend the $$ on the Ingame $$. No? I have read this statment from DJ games and Im removing the app and staying away. Im a daily gamer on fb and spent probly 300 in FB cash in the last 6months. Had you been more open. Your co. could maybe afford to make more games/$$. Check out Zaynga's buiss model folks Im out....
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 6th 2012 at 4:15 PM
Last Edited May 6th 2012 at 4:16 PM
Hi Rod,

Zynga's games have larger friend blocks in at every turn and require a lot more friends or a lot more real money to get through them.

When it comes to making sure our players are having a good time, or responding to any issues they are having we do bend over backwards to make sure they are happy. The friend gates are an unfortunate conflict in that they do cause some upset for players but they are required to encourage sharing. I know you are trying to tell me we would make more money and have more users without them. Our experience and the consensus of the social game development community (including Zynga) is that that is just not true.

-David
Lvl 35 "Gem Collector"
9 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 7th 2012 at 11:10 AM
Last Edited May 7th 2012 at 11:12 AM
Jay Bergeron
I just wanna say, having played MANY of the other offered games on FB including those from Zynga, you'll have a very hard time finding any decent game out there that doesn't promote the acquisition of new friend players, so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that BW2 has decided to implement this system.

In addition, the requirements here to advance using friend requests are quite modest. That includes the relatively cheap option to use bucks to do it, so I really don't think it needs to be modified at all.

That said, I'm not opposed to any option that allows for using DJ Arts points to redeem "friend help" or anything of this sort, but I don't think it needs to be placed as a necessity.

Edit: Oh and have we all forgotten that they give you free BushBucks every 7 days?
Lvl 119 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
15 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 9th 2012 at 3:37 AM
Last Edited May 9th 2012 at 3:40 AM
Jet de Vries
I just cannot get why some of you can get so upset about this issue. I have played a lot of games, and so far BW and BW2 is the least invasive in having to share posts, click on friends walls, have at least 10 buddies, ( and then 15, 20... etc)

The solution offered sound very fair. But i get so tired of people complaining that "the gaming industry" do not have enough new games coming out, when a lot of people are refusing to spend money on them. I really think it's great value for money. If i go to the cinema, i have to spend around $25.00 for the movie, drinks and maybe a snack, and that's just me, if i want to go with a friend it's $50. For 2.5 hours of entertainment. Plus, i have to get a babysitter for the night, add another 15$ for 3 hours. Now i happily bought some bush bucks, as i want to show the devs i love the game, and want them to make more games, and already had hours, days, weeks of entertainment for less money than a movie.

If you don't like how the game works, read a book. There are sites with free e books.

And don't make it about poor people cannot play games. I am "poor", it's just the way you set your priorities. If you are really poor, you do not have a roof over you head, let alone an internet connection to play facebook games. Geess, look at some people in India or Africa, or on the streets anywhere in the world before you call yourself poor.

gaming buddies can become real friends, or just great gaming buddies, you can decide how much of your private info you want to share so adding "strangers" is not that scary. And if they are disappointing, just unfriend them again.

anybody needs a buddy? just add me. mommy of two little ones, love cats, daily player ( well i try, mommy remember..), knitter, and i live in the Netherlands, so no way i will go the the USA to stalk any one of you :) , ah yes, and i have a dry sense of humor i case you didn't notice.. :)
Lvl 19 "Journeyman Bush Whacker"
7 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 28th 2012 at 8:48 PM
Whitney Cauthen
Ok here's my thought. I understand the idea of getting your friends help. What bothers me and I think probably bothers others is the you start the game and it starts right in about having to have friends help you. What is going to end up happening is instead of people playing the game and progressing through they are going to end up stopping. If something is a pain in the butt right from the get go why would you want to spend your time on it.

And in answer to all the people who say when you think about it it's cheaper than going to the movies or other such activities I will put it simply. I DON'T!!! The last time I went and saw a movie in the theater was almost 5 years ago. If I want to read a book or watch a movie I wait until I can either A) Borrow it from friend B)Get it from the library.

I don't have money to blow so before I would spend money on a game (even if in the grand scheme of things you are getting a lot of bang for your buck) I would have to get some kind of enjoyment out of it. As it stands I'm not.