Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Identifying and Reporting Bugs

886 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 15th 2015 at 1:46 PM
Last Edited April 15th 2015 at 1:46 PM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi Everyone,

As many of you know there was a recent issue with a minor exploit resulting in some players getting additional Paragon Points. This (and on the suggestion of one our players) has prompted us to put up a Policy on Identifying and Reporting Bugs. Particularly exploitable bugs. This policy is also linked under the game.

Identifying and Reporting Bugs

Preamble
As we continue to develop and add new features and content to the game there is always the possibility for bugs. A bug is an error, flaw, or omission in the code that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes the game to behave in unintended ways. For the purpose of this policy we categorize bugs into "Game bugs" that have an effect on the balance and fairness of the game (rewards, difficulty, game rules) and "Operations bugs" that have an effect on the operation of the game (graphics, loading, ui, freezing).

Reporting Bugs (Both Game Bugs and Operations Bugs)
All bugs should be reported to via the "Help" tab on the top of the game. Open a support ticket and provide a descriptive summary of the bug. Include what actions or steps that were taken before the bug occured, what character you were playing, if it was on a mission, the mission name, and any other details that may help in reproducing the issue. When we receive these reports we attempt to recreate the situation, your report details help us do that.

Operations Bugs
Bugs in the operation of the game, such as graphical issues, loading issues, user interface issues, and server issues affect your play experience or can prevent you from playing all together. We try to correct all bugs of this nature in a timely manner but prioritize them based on the severity and number of players being affected.

Game Bugs
Bugs that affect the balance and fairness of the game are the primary concern of this policy. Balance and fairness bugs include, not receiving mission rewards, losing items due to full inventory, being charged twice for a store purchase or a mission run. They also include receiving loot multiple times, not getting charged for a store item, not have stamina deducted for a mission run, beating a player in the arena with the use of a skill that isn't functioning correctly, etc. Shards of Titan is a multiplayer game. It is important to us and to our players that the game be a fair and amicable place to play and compete. When a bug causes you to miss out on a reward or mission run report it to us via the "Help" tab. We will not only compensate you for any lost items but we will also prioritize and track down the bug so it doesn't affect you or other players in the future.

Game Bugs Resulting in Exploits
When a bug is incorrectly awarding you additional items or rewards please report it the same way. Purposefully repeating a bug that is giving you something you are not suppose to recieve isn't fair to other players in the game, it isn't competitive, and it isn't being a good gaming citizen. Bugs of this nature are critical and will always get top priority.

Summary (TLDR)
If a Game Bug is causing you not to receive an in game item or reward report it right away. We will correct it and make sure you get the item or reward you missed out on. A Game Bug that could be taken advantage of to get items or rewards that are unintended is an exploit. Use your best judgement, did the game just give you something for free? Is something suddenly available in unlimited supply? Does taking this action give you an unfair advantage? If in doubt ask! If you find a Game Bug resulting in an exploit report it to us right away.

Consequences
1. Players acting as good gaming citizens and reporting damaging Game Bugs which result in exploits in a timely fashion may be rewarded with Shardium or other in-game benefits at the discretion of Codename Entertainment.
2. If you find an exploit and take advantage of it, any and all benefit gained by doing so will be stripped from your account.
3. Players who repeatedly take advantage of exploits will find their account suspended. Suspensions will be determined by Codename Entertainment and vary depending on the severity of the exploit and the record of the player’s past behavior.

Questions, comments, or concerns can be posted below.

-David

221 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 15th 2015 at 2:12 PM
Last Edited April 15th 2015 at 2:13 PM
Elharith
Thank you, David, for this thoughtful response to previous issues with bug reporting of any kind. I appreciate it, and hope it improves the camaraderie within game.

47 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 15th 2015 at 2:22 PM
Tharexia
Hi.

I think it should be possible to report bugs in the forum where everybody can see and read about this bug and not just by sending a ticket.

This can help players both avoid and exploit the bug, depending on type of bug.
I guess you have logs that can show any exploits that are done, based on changes from day to day between a players character.
On the other hand, if it is a bug that you want to stay away from until its fixed, its nice to know about it, like the science lab when it was released, and players got stuck.

All this depends a lot on what way you inform the community, and how fast when a bug is submitted in a ticket.

I prefer using the forum as well as sending a ticket.

Tharexia

232 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 15th 2015 at 4:20 PM
Andaho
Excellent policy and rules.

A competitive game needs rules.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Supposedly, a quote by Albert Einstein (but just because it's all over the internet, doesn't mean it was truly said by him) - But I like it nonetheless.

59 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 28th 2015 at 5:44 PM
Helen Murray
i have a pair of blazing mage shoes lvl23/30 says i can use on myself or teddy but when i try to use them on myself it says they are only usable by teddy and un equips them ?