Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Dev Diary 27/01/2015 Clothing and Leaderboards Added

3620 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 27th 2015 at 2:15 PM
Last Edited January 28th 2015 at 12:54 PM
Erika/Alyniana

Rank Up In Style

Clothing and leaderboards are now live in game!

Check out the blog for more details

FAQ:

What are the Campaign missions on the Campaign leaderboard?
-The non-Heroic versions. Your best score on each different mission.

What is the multiplayer score?
-The sum of your best score on the Forest and Desert missions.

------
Post your comments below!

Edit: We know the tabs are currently throwing errors when you try to click on them. We also know the Bounty MP paragon task doesn't complete and that the timer is on the fishing screen.

Edit 2: The above bugs should now be fixed.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 4:24 AM
TsukasaWM
These rankings are pretty much meaningless as long as P2W elements like reforging still exist in the game. You're telling me that not only can paying players get better stats, but they can use those stats to dominate the leaderboards, and then on top of that they get rewarded with even better stats because of it, and not just any stat, but THE currently top dominating stat? You've gotta be joking.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 5:00 AM
TsukasaWM
Good ****ing lord I've had spyware less intrusive then this stupid leaderboard thing that's showing up in missions now.

35 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 11:47 AM
Avyctes
This update feels like an increase in pay to win.

* Gem recipe prices went up a lot, the imperial recipe now costs ten times as much as yesterday.

* Bulk pricing in the shop to encourage shardium spending. And a sneaky increase in rune prices in the guild shop to encourage it some more.

* Clothing isn't cheap. At least 15 dollars for a set is not a microtransaction to me.

* And the banners for being on top of a leaderboard... rewards for whales, sheesh.

I'm not thrilled with this development.

25 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 11:49 AM
Ortopsy Miza
agree with avy on this.... ur making my decision to quit alot easier

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 12:37 PM
TsukasaWM
It doesn't really feel like it anymore, it pretty much is pay to win. You can,

Pay for VIP, which means you'll be ahead on blacksmith and university upgrades when they come out.

Pay for the highest level gems, which is huge now that gems are apparently stacked together

Pay to lock stats when reforging

Pay for clothing bonuses

Pay for shardium to do more missions/MP which gives you more chance to dominate the leaderboards

Pay for the higher level potions

All these things which make it easier to dominate the leaderboards, which gets you even more bonuses, added onto how expensive this stuff is. I'm sorry, but you guys are delusional. I understand it takes money to develop a game like this and keep it running, we all get that, and many of us were happy before to buy shardium to help with that because it was mostly a time saver, not a game breaker.

Lets also add onto this how many people are screwed out of the leaderboards because the game is still laggy and buggy as hell. This update is like giving them the finger, on top of the fact that there's been barely any new content since the holidays. I just don't understand how you think the game is going to last like this. This is not BW2, you can't get away with so many microtransactions and so few updates for a game like this. Added onto the fact that you pushed it out of alpha way too soon and it doesn't look good.

35 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 1:39 PM
Avyctes
Tsukasa I have to object to your use of the word microtransactions. More and more in this game they're just transactions. A set of clothing here costs the same as a game on Steam (better ones than this too). The whole point of microtransactions in games is to tempt people into small purchases, not bleed us dry.

91 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 28th 2015 at 1:55 PM
shikitenshi
lol , I'm glad I wasn't the first one who posted about this. the best thing that I can say is meh. even if it wasn't about pay to win I would still dislike it. where are new maps? where is the new level cap? I probably won't quit cause I'm stubborn but chatting with friends is the only fun thing lately , sorry to say that.I didn't like HOT and I don't like this. I play to have fun not to get stressed about some stupid competition or whatever .at least I will have more free time , look on the bright side :D

11 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 29th 2015 at 10:36 AM
Harper
Im running out of ways to say "I told you so". I have tried to explain on these forums and ingame chat many times how all this was coming, and will continue to get worse, and yet there were still people who kept defending CNE because of their other completely unrelated games.

To Eric and Justin. You both have directly lied to the community many times, again here, and in game in chat. I called you out on it directly Eric, and yet here it is only compounding to get worse. You can no longer hide behind BW/BW2 and the commmunity. I hope you have protection from all the pitchforks. :P

25 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 30th 2015 at 2:53 PM
Sils
I'm thankful for the update devs, but I'm worried about the state of the multiplayer, campaign, and heroic leaderboards down the road. Currently, because damage is such an integral part of the calculation, rangers and warriors with Aim + piercing arrow or charge + impale have a pretty big advantage over wizards. I'm aware that one particular ranger is using this strategy to the fullest currently to pull some crazy numbers by manipulating the system.
Are you guys *actively* working to fix this issue currently? I feel it hurts the integrity of these particular leaderboards.

232 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 31st 2015 at 12:31 AM
Last Edited January 31st 2015 at 12:54 AM
Andaho
I respected some wise words here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjzSnSR2xY#t=492

"I think that video games can cut through discrimination." "When you play a game, it doesn't matter what your gender is, it doesn't matter your sexual preference, your social class, your ethnicity - the only thing that matters when you play a game, is how good you are at the game - Nothing else”.

- I agreed with everything he said there... and I had massive respect for Eric Jordan (aka Lethmonth) for highlighting all the good things about how games have evolved.

Except... your 'social class' does matter in a MASSIVE way in a game built like this... In how much spare disposable income you have to waste on a ‘free-to-play’ game... But this 'pay-to-win' structure the game is being built around, is de-evolving all the good things games have grown into.

I come from a poor family, and I'm poor myself... Normal household bills are a struggle to keep up with, and money is always a deciding issue for any situation... In the UK, I'm considered 'below the poverty line'... But I'd be happy to budget something like $20-30 a month for spending on a game like this. It feels insulting and discriminating to try and compete with players that are willing to spend upwards of $100 a month on the game. (I know of some players that have spent a total over $1000 for advantages in the game).

How developers choose to monetize their game can spell the difference between an enjoyable, competitive experience and 'pay-to-win'... I had faith in CNE for a long time... But I now feel lied to and betrayed. It's now clear to see that you guys are going down the wrong path of 'pay-to-win'.

Eric, you need to re-do your TEDx talk and change that line to "The only thing that matters when you play a game, is how much you spend - Nothing else".

For a long time I believed that CNE were a game development company that 'made games for the love of games, but still needed to make a decent living'... Now you're quickly turning into the 'pay-to-win, greedy, capitalist, exploiter developer' :(

I've posted this video on the forum in the past... But it seems very relevant to post it again - "Doing Free to Play Wrong - How Bad Monetization Harms F2P Games": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0