Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Bait Sucks
Lvl 74 "Nate's Apprentice"
741 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 11:39 AM
Last Edited May 29th 2012 at 11:42 AM
Nate Dauer
Requiring us to use bait kind of misses the whole point of doing fishing. Forcing us to spend coins in order to go fishing is just lame. What's even worse is that if you mess up the fishing, you just wasted one of your bait without getting any fish, junk or coins.

You guys didn't really change fishing at all, you just made it more of a hassle. Either:
1. Take out bait altogether.
2. Make it so that we can buy bait if we want to increase our odds, but can still go fishing WITHOUT bait if we so choose.
741 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 1:17 PM
Nate Dauer
20 casts with the strong magnet.

Cost: 40 coins.

Earnings:
38 coins.
2 Energy.

What a waste of time.
3 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 2:39 PM
Karine Déry
i think they mean fishing primarily as a gold sink and a way to earn a few achivement, items and a bit of energy if you are lucky
741 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 3:00 PM
Nate Dauer
Maybe, I think the idea of bait for gaining more energy is actually a decent idea, but requiring it for 'normal' fishing is lame. There really isn't any point to the magnet fishing as far as I can tell, since even when I come out ahead (which is only about 75% of the time), it's not by a lot.

Keep the energy bait as an option, ditch the magnet bait and make it free.
Lvl 260 "Expert Bush Whacker"
307 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 3:54 PM
Dave Stone
Definately dont like fishing in BW2, Just tried it, And unless it's changed i dont i'll use it again.
Lvl 105 "Hero to the Downtrodden!"
886 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 4:38 PM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi Nate,

Gold bate should provide approximately double the gold back you pay for it. Getting only 38 on the 40 gold bait is extremely unlucky.

-David
Lvl 35 "Gem Collector"
9 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 10:11 PM
Jay Bergeron
I've been using the bait that costs 40 gold for 10 (the energy bait) and it's been working decently I guess. About 30 energy per 60 casts more or less. A bit time consuming, but fishing is I guess. Also I pretty much make back my gold in the end so it's pretty much a free way to get more energy instead of just waiting for it to fill up naturally. I don't think there's anything wrong with the bait.

ps I also got a few unique house items in the mix if that means anything to anyone.
741 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 11:20 PM
Nate Dauer
I have no doubt that generally, the player is going to make a profit. I find it very hard to believe that intended average works out to about 200%. I generally average somewhere between 125% to 175%. I don't think I've ever actually even reached 200% yet with either of the magnet baits.
741 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 11:37 PM
Nate Dauer
If I can remember correctly, the main criticisms of fishing in BW1 were:
- It's overly simplistic
- It's tedious
- The amounts of gold won were minimalistic (several suggestions were made in the past to either increase the amounts or release an item that would double the gains or something)

I had been sincerely looking forward to fishing in BW2.
- I was expecting there to be a change in how fishing was done (ie, being less simplistic), but I was OK if it stayed the same, though I was kind of hoping for something more original this time around.
- Fishing appears to be slightly less tedious this time around, but then again, maybe I'm just imagining that the fish/coins/junk bite faster.
- The amounts of gold are better... but considering that, at minimum, each cast costs 1 coin, they HAVE to be better, and I'm not convinced that they're better enough to make fishing really any better than it originally was.

Here's my main issue with fishing:
~BW1~
It used to be something you did because you had nothing to lose from it.
It was something you did when you had nothing else to do.
You could slowly accumulate Fishing Tokens to help yourself out with later when you REALLY needed energy later on.
~BW2~
It is now a gamble. There is a slim chance you may actually come out behind, and should you screw up and mis-click, you'll have just wasted 1 bait.
You don't go fishing unless you're REALLY desperate for coins or energy - because of aforementioned gambles.
There are no Fishing Tokens, this didn't really surprise me though, I was expecting that.

Honestly, I would've been happy if fishing had been left exactly the same, even without Fishing Tokens.
Lvl 140 "Omnom Nom Nom!"
132 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 29th 2012 at 11:48 PM
Marleen Larik
Bait is ridiculously cheap right now, and getting some energy for coins is fair - the coins-to-energy ratio is TONS better than, say, when you buy auction bread.

It's just tedious - having to select the bait every time you fish is a bit annoying.

But I have no problems with the overall mechanism.

Extra energy shouldn't come cheap: it will either be costly in terms of in-game gold (i.e. auction bread), out of game gold (i.e. bush bucks), time spent (i.e. fishing) or spamming (i.e. energy packs). If the energy came cheap AND easy, they could just as well get rid of the concept of energy alltogether and let players burn through all available levels in two days.

I don't have the time to spend on a lot of fishing right now, but I will fish for any collector's items (if available) or quests or somesuch.
56 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 5th 2012 at 3:17 AM
1Pyxie
I seem to come out behind (or even) at least 50% of the time (coins and energy). I've thought about keeping track, but I don't know if it's even worth the effort. The way it is now it at least seems to be a losing proposition. I agree with the lose the bait idea and make it free like BW1.
Lvl 260 "Expert Bush Whacker"
307 Posts
Link to post - Posted June 5th 2012 at 3:41 AM
Dave Stone
Tried fishing again, And there does'nt seem much difference between energy and gold bait. I get load's of gold and very few energy no matter which bait i use :(