Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Thanksgiving and other holidays in RL (possible spoilers ;) )
Lvl 440 "Loves The Developers"
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 10:24 AM
Rebecca Beattie
My favorite things about Thanks giving.

I am short on Thanksgiving traditions.

Long ago I learned to reach for the feeling I want and try to build a personal plan that will provide that for me. That is my first thought. After I think that I think about how i can provide for others and participate with others.

I know that there is a lot about the holidays that I can't control so I look to find a private and personal way to feel the warmth of the holidays.

So I'm suggesting we talk about and share favorite recipes and plans for the holidays. I haven't figured mine out yet. Thought I had plans and now it looks iffy.. so.. will you join me in sharing the plans and joys and hopes we each have?
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 10:27 AM
Rebecca Beattie
(wish I could find an edit button for the above... I rely on editing when I post lol)
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 10:30 AM
Raymond
Link to post - Edit Post - Delete Post - Posted some day at some time AM
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 11:36 AM
Rebecca Beattie
that line is visible now... It didnt seem to be when I first posted...

Thanks

and is that your fav for holidays? technical support for lost BWs? ;)
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 11:38 AM
Raymond
"Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
for a reason
763 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 12:00 PM
Russel Denton
i don't know about other people, but my favourite holiday is Christmas cause i get to spend time with family and celebrate the true meaning of xmas, as for Thanksgiving, 4th of July or Halloween, im from Australia they are not that much celebrated here....lol
1530 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 2:30 PM
ArmyMomOkc
I'm finally at point in my life where I get to enjoy the holidays. I dreaded them because of the stress related to meeting other people's expectations.

My children are grown, so just getting to see them is a joy. We keep things simple, no chaos. They have their father's side of the family for that (we are divorced).

This year for Thanksgiving I don't have to cook :) I'm going with my boyfriend to a friends house for a couple of hours. Then football for him and BW2 for me. When I cook my kids like green bean casserole, pecan pie & ham (I cook a turkey too, but that is for my bf).

Bottom line for me holidays are best when it's simple and about seeing family & friends. No stress. No doing anything to impress others. I also don't like hearing Christmas music in October or decorations up in stores the day after Halloween. Ugh...the commercialization of a holy holiday hurts my heart.
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 4:20 PM
Rebecca Beattie
@Russel. are there any cool Aussy holidays? I actually know nothing about that.

@ Army.. Hugs.. it sounds good.. I love ham too
763 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 6:15 PM
Russel Denton
@ Rebecca Beattie, we have Australia Day on the 26th of January, Queen's Birthday
(which changes dates about as often as a high school girls), and i hate to nitpick but i t's AUSSIE ok matey
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 7:26 PM
Flybaby
I love Thanksgiving better than Christmas. I like getting together with family, and I like the simplicity of it. Yes I have to cook, but that's not a big deal. It's so much less stress than Christmas ... The decorating, the shopping, the wrapping, and the clean up afterwards. Aargh!!!

Ok Rebecca ... your turn ... you started this thread ... what are your thoughts about the holidays.

PS. Also ... Just curious why you labeled this thread as possible spoilers???
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 8:01 PM
Rebecca Beattie
At the AUSSIE: oops.. so sorry. Spelling is not one of my strengths... /blush

@ Flybaby... guess I'm lacking vision this year. I am single, no children, no siblings, no parents. I have some nephews that live more than 1,000 miles away.. due to family stuff we aren't close. I know that I'm the one that needs to put the work in.

This year the fires in CA have been close enough that I have been at home more than usual for the last 2 weeks. My health does that. soooo...

I'm trying to remember what I like well enough and trying to figure out what I can plan that will give some satisfaction. Even today I wound up in bed for many hours.

I thought I had plans for Thanksgiving and it looks like I was wrong and about to do it solo for the first time in years. So, I know I can do this. Im guessing I will opt for the best restaurant meal I can find. And a fair amount of fun veggies at home.... Guessing I will avoid calling cousins etc. Im even thinking that being alone is my best bet this year. Sometimes being with people is more lonely than being alone. Its been many years since I made this solo choice.. and it was a very good choice in other years.

Soooo... thank you in advance for helping me think on this. My goal is to stack the deck for all the feel good I can make for me. I believe the Norwegian word for the feeling I'm looking for is koselig.

In previous years I filled a solo Christmas with pretty lights and a wonderful novel, hot coco and the softest blanket to curl up with. And it was yummy....

My best thanksgiving for one was a year I cooked little chicken like birds (2 in a pack) with all the trimmings. Looked like mini turkey and nicer than chicken. Set the table and just as I was about to sit down a friend knocked at the door and joined me, unplanned. God works in mysterious ways..

So this year.... dont know yet. I'll let you know if I find some magic.
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 8:12 PM
Rebecca Beattie
Short answer

Thank giving... feeling the gratitude, Splurging on food, Making sure the food is balanced and filled lots of nutrients.. so I feel well fed. and a relaxed slow pace. If I am bless may have a chance to add to someone else's happiness.

Christmas... pretty lights, cold noses, snow (ok that's a rare one as Im in the south), sweaters, if I'm lucky children's joy. If there aren't any children in my Christmas I'll reach for my own childish joy.

so .. its really the feelings and with grace the ability to help others have that sense of contentment joy and wonder.
1530 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 8:32 PM
ArmyMomOkc
Rebecca
Thank you for sharing all of what you wrote. You summed up what's most important beautifully. Gratitude. Hugs & I wish you much happiness.
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 18th 2018 at 8:56 PM
Rebecca Beattie
thanks...

And I think someone asked why I said "spoilers". Because if we tell our secrets about what helps with happy for the holiday its like spoilers in the game. Told and shared instead of left to each to discover alone.
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 19th 2018 at 7:47 AM
Flybaby
Rebecca, I hope you find the magic in however you choose to spend your day. You have the right idea about creating new traditions, while hanging on to a few of the older ones. I like your idea about the chickens. I think they're called Cornish hens. And I like the idea of a good restaurant too. I have no problem with going out for a nice buffet on a holiday. I do it every year on Easter.
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 19th 2018 at 9:57 AM
Rebecca Beattie
i think they were Cornish game hens.. Its a memory from the late eighties... I was on my way to divorce... alone was luxury and a new thought.. I did it very well.
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 19th 2018 at 10:39 AM
Flybaby
Now you've got me craving Cornish Game hens. lol. I haven't had them in years. They really are tasty.
799 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 19th 2018 at 9:28 PM
Rebecca Beattie
lol... mini turkeys