Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2
Dev Diary - 11/26/2014 - Introducing the Hall of Trials!

793 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 26th 2014 at 4:31 PM
Last Edited November 26th 2014 at 5:26 PM
Justin Stocks (CNE Dev)
From the Upcoming Content and Features post:

The Hall of Trials building is a level 10 unlock. This building grants access to a randomly generated series of catacombs that you can battle your way through. Each level you complete will unlock a progressively more difficult one. Every 5 levels you'll encounter a much more challenging boss. Defeating the boss will award special Hall of Trials currency, which can be used to buy max level epic gear. Eventually you'll run into a boss or group of mobs that you'll need specialized tactics, better gear, or simply a higher level to defeat. Compete with your friends to get deeper than anyone else!

This exciting new feature is now live (or will be shortly)!

Here's a quick anticipatory FAQ:

How often can I run the Hall of Trials?

You can run the Hall of Trials once per day. At the start of each day you'll be able to either continue from where you left off (if you think you can get any further), or reset your progress and run it again from the top to gather more tokens.

What happens if I die in the Hall of Trials?

When you die in the Hall of Trials you become a ghost, and can no longer interact with enemies, chests, or gates. You can revive from death for free once per run, after which you can revive by spending Shardium.

How do I get more Hall of Trials tokens?

You get Hall of Trials currency after defeating the bosses that appear every 5 levels. You can defeat each boss once per run, so to get more tokens simply reset your Hall of Trials and beat them again.

Can I get normal loot bags or drops from the Hall of Trials?

No, the Hall of Trials enemies do not drop loot, aside from the Tokens you earn after each boss battle.

Do I have to slog through all the trash on every run?

No. Once you have defeated a boss, you will be able to skip all the trash prior to it on subsequent runs. Just take the set of stairs with the skulls around it and you'll proceed directly to the boss level.

Why does my rage reset on each level?

Walking down the stairs is very calming.

Why did I crash in the last fight on level 39?

Wait, you got to level 39? You crazy sonofabitch!

We look forward to players competing to get further than anyone else! Let us know how far you get in your first run, and whether you encounter any issues that don't seem quite right.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 26th 2014 at 5:56 PM
TsukasaWM
I think it's awesome. I made it to the 3rd boss on a my first run. Like I said in chat I think it would be nice to get a daily task for it eventually. That and maybe some sort of "Boss Rush" mode or a Mirror Match.

221 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 26th 2014 at 6:22 PM
Elharith
Level 25 boss. Almost beat her. I will put on some speed rings or something next time. *got to go analyze inventory*

59 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 26th 2014 at 6:52 PM
Helen Murray
thx justin lol just when i get the hang of the game u throw a screw in lol

92 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 26th 2014 at 9:29 PM
Defiar
Thanks so much. Super awesome.

29 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 26th 2014 at 10:02 PM
Athena/Wolfsbane/Arcane Vengeance
Sweet! Can't wait to dig into this :)

206 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 27th 2014 at 12:50 PM
Kathy Jacobs
Level 19 here, but haven't gotten a prompt to build it. Is this happening to anyone else?

20 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 27th 2014 at 1:27 PM
Declan
You don't get a prompt, it just shows up in the top of the map, behind the arena. Click on it and spend the 25,110 lumber to build it.

206 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 27th 2014 at 2:05 PM
Kathy Jacobs
Thanks Declan - found it and ran through it to level 11

25 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 27th 2014 at 5:45 PM
Last Edited November 28th 2014 at 4:30 AM
Ortopsy Miza
ok im officially a crazysonofabitch ;) http://gyazo.com/429573234a1c3cd5268b178c77dc2722
Post by Andaho deleted November 28th 2014 at 3:28 PM

232 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 28th 2014 at 4:30 AM
Andaho
Wait, you got to level 39? You crazy sonofabitch!

221 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 28th 2014 at 10:28 AM
Elharith
Congrats, Die. I knew you could do it! :)

793 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 28th 2014 at 2:48 PM
Justin Stocks (CNE Dev)
Most impressive.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 28th 2014 at 2:59 PM
TsukasaWM
I tried to warn you in chat last night man. Look what happened.

25 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 28th 2014 at 3:01 PM
Ortopsy Miza
thank you justin :) i can say it wasnt easy but i did it.. can't wait for more updates

25 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 30th 2014 at 1:53 AM
Last Edited November 30th 2014 at 3:05 AM
Sils
http://i.imgur.com/W1s5ZPD.png

I guess this makes two! I'm not going to do this every run, though, that'd be pretty costly with the speed boosts. Can't wait to be able to run through the troll without those, though! :)

Edit: And my wiz makes three! (two and a half?)
http://i.imgur.com/m2hodaA.png

793 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 30th 2014 at 10:50 AM
Justin Stocks (CNE Dev)
Is there a particular stat you stacked or strategy you used to get to level 39? We want to make sure we can provide balanced challenges to everyone, so if there's something that makes these levels more trivial than we intend we'd like to address it sooner rather than later.

92 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 30th 2014 at 9:59 PM
Defiar
Justin - I did not try to go to 39 yet but I have also beaten the troll at 35. It isn't easy, took a lot of playing with builds, a little bit of luck, and buff potions. Not sure if Sils or Die or Grad also made purchases, but from what I gathered there were a substantial number of attempts to complete this feat.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. We were all comparing our stats as we made the climb and it seemed full damage was no good, full health was no good, full crit was no good. You needed to find some sweet spot.

221 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 1st 2014 at 7:26 AM
Last Edited December 1st 2014 at 8:00 AM
Elharith
I agree with Defiar. While I have not yet managed to get as far as these players, there is nothing trivial about getting there. Luck seems to play a large part in finding the sweet spot, and for most of us, we need more skill points to tweak the builds for a more robust player. What works as a build for one set of trials doesn't work for another set, and constantly respec-ing is not an option. Equipment will only do so much, which means many players are using potions to get past some levels (me included). However, even potions do not guarantee a death-free ride. Evil Oliver still assassinates me regularly.