Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2 3 4
Dungeon concerns

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 2nd 2020 at 10:37 AM
Animenut
I did some quick math, and if the exp requirements go up 500 every level, then to get to level 25, you'd need a total of 162,500 dungeon experience.

I've been doing nothing BUT dungeons since the release. I get about 850 exp per dungeon, even without the 10% boost. I've done about 18 dungeons in the first week, and currently have 14,937 total experience. Using that as a rough estimate for 7 days of grinding, and there are 77 days left, figuring out my exp yield by the end of 77 more days would be multiplying that number by 12. 1 for the week I already did + 11 for the upcoming weeks. I'll round my current exp up to 15,000 to keep it nice and square. 15,000 x 12 = 180,000.

180,000 is BARELY enough to meet that 162,500 requirement, and that's with the entire 3 months being spent doing NOTHING but dungeon-grinding - no idol runs, minimal chest runs, stopping for challenges - with near-perfect efficiency.

Maybe I'm being entitled for expecting an "easy" payout, but this just seems way too close for comfort. Considering the absolute amount of priority it has to get for so long, how much needs to be given up (MONTHS of idol farming), and the fact that you STILL need to pay real money for ALL the rewards in the "pass loot"...It just seems like a lot of precarious hoops to jump through and a lot of sacrifices for what amounts to..."okay" rewards? Like, I'll take those rewards. I'll pay for them. They are worth it on paper. But not really good enough to merit THAT much constant attention to the game and THREE MONTHS of sacrificing idol-grinding time.

I'm not exactly new to the game, and I can hold my own. Getting to roughly area 6300 in dungeons is nothing to sneeze at. So I think it's fair that someone like me shouldn't have to cut it THAT close over THAT long to get all the rewards. Even people far, far further along in the game than I am that likely average like 1200 exp per dungeon run, would likely still take roughly 2 months to reach the max level, I estimate.

Dungeons just seem a little TOO demanding right now.

301 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 5th 2020 at 1:21 PM
Vingummi
Currently it's 290,000 to get level 25 in Dungeons. It's possible if you do all 15 every week at around area 7900. Buy a few extra runs and you don't need to go that deep on average.

The FAQ states that this is late game content. So you need to go deep to get better rewards when it comes to Points and Coins. Same with the Idol Bonus.

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 5th 2020 at 10:00 PM
Last Edited July 5th 2020 at 11:17 PM
Animenut
The fact remains that the grinding takes place over 3 months. What else can be done over the course of 3 months? Is 3 months worth of chest and idol farming worth giving up for the rewards in the dungeon? And what happens when this dungeon ends? Does a new dungeon start up immediately? If so, then there's no time to enjoy the idol buffs from the dungeon on idol runs because you'd need to start farming for the next dungeon immediately.

I'm not saying that reaching the max rewards in dungeons isn't POSSIBLE. I'm saying that I'm concerned it's not WORTH IT.

EDIT: As an extra point here in the "Not worth it" category, I currently have 23 days of a 50% idol buff left. I haven't been on a single idol run since this dungeon began 10 days ago. If I'm to have any chance at getting all the dungeon rewards, the 33 days I had left when the dungeon began are to be forfeit. I won't be able to make ANY use out of over a MONTH of idol buffs THAT I BOUGHT because it takes too long to reach the dungeon max.

301 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 6th 2020 at 4:21 AM
Vingummi
They are looking into making the idol buffs work on the dungeons. But needs to be balanced. They might look at it this week. Was talked about in the stream on Thursday.

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 6th 2020 at 2:20 PM
Animenut
Since the free plays should all be about the same difficulty, there's a solid "max area" across non-dungeon runs. Maybe allow bonus idols to drop in dungeons up until the boss area that other free plays cap at? To avoid dungeons giving WAY too many bonus idols thanks to no cap. Right now, I think the area cap is 5865, so allow dungeons to drop bonus idols up to and including area 5860 so that dungeon runs are no less lucrative than normal free play runs, while also not being wildly overpowered. Bonus idols already don't start dropping until area 100, so this kind of limitation has already been used.

If they do end up making dungeons idol-viable, I hope they refill people's idol buffs. Anyone with an active buff having (number of days since dungeon began) added to their current buff. Otherwise, it would be a MASSIVE waste of a paid for buff.

Not to sound overly angry or anything. I think I've been pretty fair while voicing valid and reasonable concerns. Don't want to come off as "ANGRY PLAYER SPEWING RAGE WHEN HE DOESN'T GET WHAT HE WANTS".

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 6th 2020 at 7:14 PM
Last Edited July 6th 2020 at 7:33 PM
tl93
AFAICT, the Dungeon is meant to replace Free Plays, at least for "end game" Idol acquisition. As I calculate it, a max area run on a Free Play with max Boss Idol bonus, the most idols you'd get is:

9.9 T

Whereas a run to Area 6,000 on a Dungeon formation with the Idol bonus would give you that much if you have at least:

552 T idols banked

I disregard Idol boost effects like Challenger's Glory since I expect that they apply to both.

So the only reason to possibly go back to Free Play is for either chest runs or because you finished with the 15 Dungeon runs for the week and don't want to pay Coins for extra runs.

My concern is for the players who get to the point of playing the Dungeons but only reset once or twice per day. I would be inclined to have the bonuses increased for the first 3 to 5 Dungeon runs in a week and then they taper down as the player gets to a 15th (or more) run in a week.

I would also like to see an Idol rate of 0.05% per 500 Areas with a cap of 1% for all Dungeon runs that don't have the Idol bonus effect. Dungeon runs would be better than Free Play at ~1.5 Q idols and if run to at least Area 6,000, but still direct real Idol farmers to the randomly selected formation.

I also ask/wonder: when would you pick the +10% coin bonus? Even a player that gets to Area 10,500, they only get 55 coins and the +10% gets them 5 more? Really, this is Integer Math at its worst.

tl93

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 6th 2020 at 7:54 PM
tl93
After thinking about it, since the Post-Ad Bonus doesn't apply to Dungeon bonus idols, the Challenger's Glory and similar probably don't either. But even with those, there is a cap to their bonus, right? And they aren't free, so can you always run with them?

But I agree about the Pass Loot being less valuable since these Idol bonuses can't be used due to running the Dungeon.

tl93

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 6th 2020 at 8:07 PM
Animenut
Having done an idol-bonus dungeon with idol buffs active, I can tell you that the idol rewards from dungeons are NOT affected by idol buffs. The way it works is it just takes whatever you'd get from levels, talents, etc, applies the idol buffs, then adds the dungeon reward last. I made less than triple my current idols with a 1.95% reward, and that's on the BEST formation. If I were to try to farm idols using dungeons, I'd have to hope for the idol reward to be on the right formation EVERY time. On less useful formations, I'd be lucky to hit 1.35% and get BARELY double what I get on free plays, optimistically, and with far more confusion involved.

If idol buffs affected the idol rewards, THEN I'd agree that MAYBE it would be worth it. Maybe. But the lack of consistency is awful. The fact that it's totally random which formation gets the idol reward means that it's entirely likely that the reward will keep being set on a terrible, terrible formation. There's only, maybe, 3 formations where I could make more idols per run than on a free play. If the buff lands anywhere else, I'm making less. The consistency of free plays was a comfort, but the way dungeons are now is just stressful due to their unreliability.

For your question: I largely haven't really cared where the rewards are in dungeons because I always do "Jungle Journey". I make more coins and exp in an un-buffed JJ run than in any other buffed run. There's no point in doing other formations because this one ALWAYS gives significantly more. The only reason I would do another formation would be for idols, maybe, but then I'm sacrificing a ton of exp. And as I mentioned before, as is the entire purpose of this thread, that's a big deal.

I like the JJ formation, but I do NOT like how dungeons operate right now. This is a new mechanic, I expected it to have some setbacks. Community feedback is to correct those flaws. The massive time-sink aspect and the utter randomness aspect are the two biggest flaws.

I've been consistently playing for over 1600 days and have 4-quadrillion idols. How much "stronger" does someone have to be for these flaws to not be as big of a deal? It seems to ask WAY too much of players, unless I'm not understanding that there's an entire class of upper-tier players resting comfortably in the multi-septillions.

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 7th 2020 at 7:25 PM
tl93
How many idols do you get from a Free Play run? My recent average is, with only Post-Ad bonus, 6.7 T per run. Sure, I could get more with the idol buffs, but it isn't worth it to me.

Does it increase with the number of idols you have banked?

I would suggest that you always run the dungeon formation that has the idol bonus. It is almost the same as running the Buried Treasure mission every run. At 4 Q idols, that is 72 T per run to Area 6 K, I don't know how a Free Play run could approach that.

I have less than 4 Q idols banked and in the 2nd week of the Crypt, I earned just under 290 T idols in 15 runs (average of 19 T). Along with 14,813 points and 324 coins. On Jungle Journey I can get beyond Area 7 K (2.1%), but Fun & Games, Achieve Flight and Dungeon Crawl I get to 6.5 K (1.95%), Free for All I've only run once and got 5.5 K (1.65%), and all the others are 6 K (1.8%).

For me, the comparison is 19 T v. 6.7 T, so Dungeons are much better than Free Play.

If you're worried about getting enough Points to unlock the Taskmaster, then I would suggest that you wait to worry until at least a month into this. Vingummi says 290 K is needed, but I haven't ever seen the math behind that number and my math comes up with 162.5 K, so far I've seen:

Level -- Incremental ------ Running Total
-----------------------------------------
--- 1 ---------- 500 ---------------- 500
--- 2 -------- 1,000 -------------- 1,500
--- 3 -------- 1,500 -------------- 3,000
--- 4 -------- 2,000 -------------- 5,000
--- 5 -------- 2,500 -------------- 7,500
--- 6 -------- 3,000 ------------- 10,500
--- 7 -------- 3,500 ------------- 14,000
--- 8 -------- 4,000 ------------- 18,000
--- 9 -------- 4,500 ------------- 22,500
-- 10 -------- 5,000 ------------- 27,500

and extrapolating I get:

-- 11 -------- 5,500 ------------- 33,000
-- 12 -------- 6,000 ------------- 39,000
-- 13 -------- 6,500 ------------- 45,500
-- 14 -------- 7,000 ------------- 52,500
-- 15 -------- 7,500 ------------- 60,000
-- 16 -------- 8,000 ------------- 68,000
-- 17 -------- 8,500 ------------- 76,500
-- 18 -------- 9,000 ------------- 85,500
-- 19 -------- 9,500 ------------- 95,000
-- 20 ------- 10,000 ------------ 105,000
-- 21 ------- 10,500 ------------ 115,500
-- 22 ------- 11,000 ------------ 126,500
-- 23 ------- 11,500 ------------ 138,000
-- 24 ------- 12,000 ------------ 150,000
-- 25 ------- 12,500 ------------ 162,500

--- N ------ N * 500 -- N * (N + 1) * 250

What is the progression table that results in 290 K?

Plus, if you get a lot of idols in the early weeks, then the final weeks should have deeper runs, so more points.

Yes, Jungle Journey is the hands down best formation, but the only one that I would consider avoiding is Free for All (which has only 12 slots, quelle surprise).

tl93

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 7th 2020 at 7:56 PM
Animenut
My average free play payout was about 15t, and I also don't manage to get as far as you in JJ. What formation do you use?

My original post already agrees with your 162.5k exp. Not sure where anyone pulled "290k" from. I'm curious what math Vin used to find that.

I'll try to prioritize the idol reward runs. I just HATE the randomness of it all. What endeared me to the game originally was it's consistency. I liked being able to do the same thing and get the same results.

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 7th 2020 at 9:46 PM
tl93
That is a good number to get from Free Play, what idol bonus multiplier(s) do you get applied to the Free Play runs?

As for the 290 K points, I've seen it here and Reddit and in the Steam forums, always in reply to someone who estimated 162.5 K points.

The Jungle formation I have used is from Steam User H3X4G3N

https://steamcommunity.com/app/402840/discussions/0/2567564295114896022/

santa--------------------------mindy---------------------------------------
---------------langley------------------------tiernan----------------------
r.rabbit------------------------victor-----------------------------drosen--
---------------alacrity-------------------------kaine----------------------
twins---------------------------ana.g----------------------------milgrid---
---------------imani-------------------------------------------------------
jiao-----------------------------evan--------------------------------------

There are formations for the other Dungeon runs, except for Fun and Games. The pinned announcement of the Dungeons also has lots of good formations.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/402840/discussions/0/2567563897035161049/

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2020 at 12:43 AM
Animenut
The purchasable 50% buff and the challenge 25% buff, typically.

And that's an...interesting formation. The randomness of Jiao, Mindy mimicking THREE crusaders, none of which are Twins or Milgrid, Drosen instead of Wrena, Rabbit instead of Slis, and Mycall isn't even in the formation at all. And no Jorgnak or Xyg? That is a WACKY formation.

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2020 at 12:50 PM
Animenut
Just did the math and apparently you'd have to average about 903 exp every run for 15 runs every week in order to meet the max level requirements without buying more runs.

84 days, 15 runs every 7 days, that's 15 runs times 12 weeks. 162,500/15/12 = ~902.7

Assuming you buy two more runs each week for 17 runs for each of 12 weeks, then 162,500/17/12 = ~796.5

I just did an idol-reward "Playing it Old School" and got about 450 exp at area ~5200, which is less than HALF of the roughly 1000 exp was normally getting from ~6800 runs in Jungle Journey.

If I did idol reward formations for every run, I would NOT be able to make it to the max level within the timeframe because all my runs would give only at-average, barely-above-average, or significantly-below-average payouts.

If I did JJ runs EVERY time, 17 times a week, for all 12 weeks, I'd get about 204000 exp, which is 41,500 over the required max level amount. That's 41 runs, about 3 weeks. So if I spend ALL my time being as efficient as I possibly can be, completing 17 every week (which, y'know, I can't, since I spent the first week inefficiently, still learning), ignoring idol rewards, I'd only manage to buy myself less than 3 weeks of safe idol farming.

3 barely-safe weeks of idol farming for 3 MONTHS of idol-less grinding, minus whatever times the idol rewards just happen to land on JJ.

I still don't see how anyone thinks this is actually balanced. Even if the idol gains are high enough to let me considerably raise my crusaders' max levels several times over, the length of time it would take to actually have those extra levels make any meaningful difference in my exp gain wouldn't leave enough time after reaching that increased gain point to ACTUALLY meet the max level requirements.

Either add bonus idols to dungeons up to the max free play area possible, or cut the exp requirements for each level in half.

I have actually CHANGED MY SLEEP SCHEDULE to allow for 1 extra run per day before work in order to grind out as much exp as possible, and even with that change, I'll still BARELY make it to max in time even if I exclusively do JJ runs.

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2020 at 8:11 PM
tl93
Yes, an average of 903 points per run is my goal.

I find it odd that you wouldn't be able to hit area 6 K on most formations. I hope you have all max-able Talents maximized, I still have 2 more Talents to max. Also, you have all legendaries and enough crafting materials to have your legendaries at least to L8 and L10 in several, none of my legendaries are above L10.

My most recent Playing it Old School (#15 of week 1), I was able to get to Area 6,268 and got 825 points.

As I said, in Week #2, I got 14,813 points which averages to 988. Even in Week #1, without the communities formations, but with picking some +10% point bonus runs, I got 12,662 (average 844). Combined I'm solidly above the 903 rate and at 916 per run. Perhaps I was lucky this past week, but I'm not worrying yet. The only thing I worry about is not getting too many Free for All runs. If I get those, then I may run Jungle instead. If you are more worried, then run Jungle anytime that the +10% points falls on Jungle.

As for the Jungle formation, yes it is quite variable, but RoboRabbit's capacitor gets filled up and can sustain the damage dealt to monsters. Jungle is my favorite since it is the one that I get the highest DPS and Area beaten, but this formation is not pretty to watch. I just can't argue with the result.

I don't love randomness, but even the Jungle formation is consistent enough for me to get 7,333; 7,363; 7,303; 7,372 in the 4 times that I've run Jungle since using the formation. These runs yielded points of: 1,331; 1,345; 1,316; 1,350. That's 5,342 points in 4 runs.

In the end, I wonder why 4 Q idols is not able to get you to Area 6 K on most Dungeon runs. While I am inclined to think that I am at the "low end" of endgame, I am confident that if I can do 10 weeks more as I have for the first 2, then I will do well in the Dungeon have 2 or 3 Q more idols at the end.

My checklist for players who are wondering if they should (seriously) play the Dungeon would be:

1) 500 T idols banked
2) Legendaries in 80% of the slots of the best crusaders (>95% should be feasible)
3) Crafting material to get most of those legendaries to L8 and all the rest to L5

I'm not going to say that meeting this list will let you unlock the Taskmaster with points, but short of having those idol buffs running, you would get idols at least as fast and shortly faster. If it is enough to unlock the Taskmaster, then I doubt that it will seem likely in the first month of the Dungeon.

As I asked in the announcement thread, I wonder how many points the Taskmaster will cost in the shop, since 903 points is per run is required to unlock it that way and 21 coins is how many a player gets if they get 905 points, so that would be 3,805 coins (after adding the 25 from L9 reward). Hopefully the cost will less, but how much less?

> 2,500? Seems high compared with other items.
> 1,000? Seems low compared with how many coins it is possible to get, but still high compared with other items.
> Lower? That would mean almost everyone would get it.

tl93

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 8th 2020 at 10:45 PM
Animenut
Yup, all talents maxed, all legendaries, and everyone at level 10 gear with Wrena's amulet at 15 and Jorgnak's nervous system at 12.

Something I've noticed during all this is that exp goes up erratically. Notice how I said earlier than I got barely 450 for area 5000, and yet managed to get a solid 1000 at area 6600? For being only 35% further, that's double the reward. Then your 7300's are about 15% further than my 6600 and gave only...30% more? Seems like the rate that the points go up fluctuates.

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2020 at 8:08 PM
tl93
Good to hear about talents and legendaries, but I've not seen Wrena in any formation and neither Jorgnak, though the latter may be too recent to hit the places I check. Still, if you have 10 in all other legendaries, or at least the ones in the formation, then you should be able to get my results or better.

As for the points, it is a progression. There is an ramp at 3,500 and another at 5,900. Within each region appears to be constant:

1,500 - 1,900: 1 point per 91.45 areas, R-squared 0.9844899, poor due to how few data points I collected
1,900 - 3,500: 1 point per 3.81 areas, R-squared 0.9999971, much better
3,500 - 5,900: 1 point per 2.10 areas, R-squared 0.9999930, almost as good

The coins also ramp, though not as large a ramp, FWIW.

In Week 3 news, I got Dungeon Crawl as my first crypt formation and at one point tried Xyg instead of Alacrity in my previously used formation and I got beyond area 7,097! Not as far as Jungle, but 2.1% idols and 1,219 points. Currently I've got Under Fire going and I think I have a better formation than I was using the last time I ran it: in Week 1.

tl93

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2020 at 9:03 PM
tl93
I recently noticed that Dungeon level 11 takes 6,000 points instead of 5,500. So it is more than 162.5 K.

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 9th 2020 at 10:43 PM
Animenut
You haven't seen WRENA in ANY formations? Where are you looking? It's well-known that she's the best DPSer by far. Hence why I was so shocked by you using Drosen. Her amulet, by itself, puts her LEAGUES above every other crusader. Mine is level 15, which gives roughly e12 just going from 14 to 15 alone, last I remember. Current buff overall is about e88 from just the one skill.

Not saying my formation is better, but I am legitimately curious how it compares to your Drosen formation. https://imgur.com/a/WTl4Aoi I'm mid-run as I took this, so the numbers won't be end-of-run exactly.

58 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 10th 2020 at 6:36 PM
tl93
Correct about no Wrena formations for Dungeons. Neither was I seeing (nor using) her prior to Dungeons to max Free Plays. Jialong and his waterfalls have worked better for me than Wrena, AFAICT, especially Jialong + Dros in Dungeon runs. Jialong is the DPSer in all the formations that I've seen, which have been posted to Steam, though they may come from other places. Yes, I would love to do better, but the formations that I'm using are acceptable to me.

As I said, I have 0 legendaries above L10 and I seem to be getting deeper on Dungeon runs than you. Wrena's amulet at L15 apparently isn't better than what can be done with Jialong. I also do my best to avoid moving legendary levels.

I have fewer Idols banked and fewer crafting materials, so you should do better than I.

Here are my top areas reached:

7,000+ (+2.1% idols) -- Jungle Journey, Under Fire, Dungeon Crawl
6,500+ (+1.95% idols) -- Achieve Flight, Fun and Games, Making Waves
6,000+ (+1.8% idols) -- Playing it Old School, Dark Dwellers, Sunday Stroll, Free for All

I've only had one run that didn't reach 6,000, on Free for All, and that was in Week 1.

tl93

301 Posts
Link to post - Posted July 11th 2020 at 6:40 AM
Last Edited July 11th 2020 at 7:01 AM
Vingummi
Wrena has been beaten since Jiao came out.
Have a look at Jungle Journey comparisons here: https://imgur.com/a/Wd3Y0HO