Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2 3
Flash Player shutting off 2020, an answer for our prayers is needed
10 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 20th 2019 at 8:55 PM
Silver Wolf
As many of you know come the end of next year many of us will lose flash player, but hopefully we can give the Developers a message to help prevent this from happening on many accounts and devices. Hopefully we can continue to be a Bush Whacker 2 family
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 21st 2019 at 9:41 AM
Raymond
please read the following. https://forum.codenameentertainment.com/?thread_id=24501
till it goes away there are things to mitigate the forced having to multi click many things. all outlines in that.
when it is gone, there are still ways to play any flash game (even when flash does not exist at all in any browser). that too is outlined in that forum post, and many people play the game that way right now on androids, phones and tablets and i-phones that DO NOT have flash. they play without any issues right now on those. so we can forever be able to play whenever.

but for the answer i think you, or others who do not know workarounds, want to know. here is my thoughts. and it would be good if the devs say something before 2020

i doubt the devs will invest hundreds or thousands of man hours to totally re-write a 7.5 year old game.
24 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 21st 2019 at 10:40 AM
Cheshirecatqee
Some games have already switched. Others are working on a HTML 5 version. I've no doubt that the developers, if they are intending to keep the game going will do the same.
478 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 21st 2019 at 9:49 PM
Last Edited August 21st 2019 at 9:50 PM
Horsedancer1
@Nick or @Erica what are your thoughts on this change? I would like to know if you are planning on keeping the game going. I hope you can change it to that works.
Thanks so much.
10 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 27th 2019 at 4:44 PM
Silver Wolf
ok from reading all posts if i even have it right flash will quit for all web pages such as chrome and others and there is a chance we can or cannot play this game because of there not being flash, but thwy may or may not put time in to updating a 7.5 yr old game. So if i have this right we may or may not be playing this game after 2020, but if we do it will be on a HTML 5 base.
372 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 28th 2019 at 8:30 AM
phagras
Flash is nasty, bloated and insecure software. Its demise is long overdue. Chrome is the first browser to aggressively disable it but the other major browsers will follow suit. I raised the question two years ago when Adobe first announced Flash's end of life as did others, I know some ideas have been floated but I don't know what if anything has been decided. Nor do I know how easy it is to convert BW2 to a different platform.

Kongregate are recommending the Supernova SWF Enabler extension to make life easier for Chrome users in the short term:
https://kong.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031911432-Announcement-Chrome-Ver-76-Flash-Updates?mobile_site=false

If you decide instead to use a niche browser to keep running Flash then I strongly recommend you use it only for playing BW2. Small teams are less likely to patch security holes in the browser and Flash itself will become even more of a liability when it goes EOL.
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 28th 2019 at 10:26 AM
Flybaby
The question about how the end of Flash will affect BW2 has come up a few times in the weekly developer chats. Here is an excerpt from one of the CNE chats:

Question: Will there be a BW3 when Flash ends?

[Dev] cnenick: At the moment we're not planning a BW3. Regardless of what happens, the worst case you'll be able to download BW2 from our website and play it from your desktop.

[Dev] cnenick: There are some other solutions in the works from other developers which we may hop on, but that's our fallback.

[Dev] cnenick: It won't be the end!
3215 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 30th 2019 at 9:38 AM
Nickshire (CNE Dev)
Hi folks!

Regarding Flash becoming unsupported by 2020, this won't mean the end of Bush Whacker 2. We fully intend to keep supporting Bush Whacker 2 so long as players keep enjoying and supporting the game. So if this is the case when browsers stop supporting Flash games, we will ensure Bush Whacker 2 is available to play via a different platform.

As Flybaby has already mentioned, you'll at least be able to download BW2 from our website and play it from your desktop. Other than that, we'll have to see if any other options are feasible for BW2.
478 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 1st 2019 at 6:59 AM
Horsedancer1
I hope however you change it, the changes in the game will appear without having to reload. Now, if a new event, etc. starts, I don't know it unless I sign off and then back on. Thanks!
12 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 2nd 2019 at 6:27 AM
Last Edited September 2nd 2019 at 6:30 AM
enzfyr
I got the "request failed to contact server" message when trying to jump to the commons. When I reloaded, my Chromebook displayed that Adobe Flash is no longer supported. I found a workaround, but after already losing Puffin, this is reminding me that my BW2 days are numbered.
42 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 4th 2019 at 11:02 PM
DStodg736
Nick, if we end up having to switch to a downloaded version on a different platform (I currently use chrome) will it be possible to download our accounts? so we can continue to play with the same account we have now. I'd be terribly upset to lose years worth of progress
763 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 4th 2019 at 11:08 PM
Russel Denton
may i suggest perhaps the devs put everyone's bw2 facebook account and merge with CNE perhaps, just a thought
372 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 5th 2019 at 4:01 AM
phagras
This was discussed last night in chat. However we end up playing after Flash's retirement we will be able to keep our progress.
478 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 5th 2019 at 6:31 AM
Horsedancer1
I won't play any games through FB as it is too easy to hack.
153 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 5th 2019 at 7:30 PM
Bota
As long as I have chat enable that is all I am really worried about plenty of platforms out there to continue playing the game on
153 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 5th 2019 at 7:31 PM
Bota
Horsedancer he wants FB to come onto the CNE platform not the other way round :)
478 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 5th 2019 at 7:50 PM
Horsedancer1
Oh, you may be right Bota. I thought he meant to put everything on FB and then do the merge.
10 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 6th 2019 at 4:04 PM
Silver Wolf
Ok thank you so much Nick for the update, many wont be happy with a merge if there becomes one, but they will continue to play this game and have fun doing so. We all love this game and will continue to support CNE all the way through. And for those not on during dev chats where ever you play this game please read the above posts for further explanation of whats to happen.
24 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 28th 2019 at 4:25 AM
Carol Roggenkamp
This is the answer I got when asked about flash and if we play on all 4 platforms.

DJArtsGames: Regarding Flash becoming unsupported by 2020, this won't mean the end of Bush Whacker 2. We fully intend to keep supporting Bush Whacker 2 so long as players keep enjoying and supporting the game.

DJArtsGames: So if this is the case when browsers stop supporting Flash games, we will ensure Bush Whacker 2 is available to play via a different platform.

DJArtsGames: We’re currently planning to have a version of the game you can download off our website and play on your desktop. Regardless of the method, we’ll allow you to migrate your existing progress.

croggen: now if we play on all 4 different platforms how would that work?

DJArtsGames: We're not sure on the details, but if you wanted to use the desktop version, you'd probably have to migrate the other platforms to new, individual accounts, croggen. More details on that stuff as the year goes on.
478 Posts
Link to post - Posted September 28th 2019 at 7:57 AM
Horsedancer1
I will be much happier if DJA has a definite fix announced. I have stopped buying pets until I know for sure the game will continue. I am an engineer and just saying "We will have some kind of fix so you can continue playing" doesn't do much to reassure me, even though the Devs are very nice folks!