Nate's Birthday Event 2016!
90 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 29th 2016 at 3:50 PM
davepagsny
They both ended today.
77 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 29th 2016 at 4:19 PM
kittypurrrs
Addendum to my previous replies: I have this underlying feeling that besides being horrible story tellers (which the Developers, have admitted to several times in game) the game makers do not want to have a building-up of expectations to actually end up being “too much” fun…
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 29th 2016 at 4:33 PM
Flybaby
Boy do I ever agree with you, Kitty! At the end of the event, I thought the area looked different ... it took me a few seconds to realize that the dragon had already been there and blew everything up. It would have been great to see the Dragon fly in again. It was very anti-climatic if you ask me! I would have loved to see the flame pet we helped create, and what happened to the puzzle that we collected pieces for? In addition to all that you said Kitty, another big complaint of mine is why are the snack bags so expensive at this event? At a cost of 50 tokens, they are double or near double what it costs at other events. I am one of those players who played this event in 2014 and 2015, and could not remember how it ended, at all. Maybe it's because it was so "UN-Eventful" (please excuse the pun). To refresh my memory, I dressed up like both Nate and the dragon, just to repeat the "fun" at the activity stations. I think that achievement should have been made available again this year for newer players to enjoy.

I hate the HUGE mosaic thingamajig and I put it into storage immediately. I will NEVER EVER place that "monstrosity" on my ranch. It's just TOO BIG!!! How about going back to giving us event pets, and/or customizable items for our ranch and golf course as you have in the past? Players really look forward to those kind of rewards.
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted January 31st 2016 at 1:28 PM
TsukasaWM
I think you guys had way too high expectations. I've been playing for a few years and usually the events being expanded means they add a few new quests, that's all. Honestly, I'm glad the story and all that wasn't the same, it'd get boring if the events were the same every year and the stage was a fun new addition.

"I hate the HUGE mosaic thingamajig and I put it into storage immediately. I will NEVER EVER place that "monstrosity" on my ranch. It's just TOO BIG!!! How about going back to giving us event pets, and/or customizable items for our ranch and golf course as you have in the past? Players really look forward to those kind of rewards."

Not every person is going to find every reward interesting. Personally I love the mosaic idea. I found the bush animals extremely boring, and have 0 interest in golf pieces. While I am more of a gnome person, I'm glad to see them trying something different. You guys are placing way too much emphasis on the rewards and not enough on just playing and having fun.
77 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 10:09 AM
Last Edited February 1st 2016 at 10:41 AM
kittypurrrs
Well I think your expectations are too low, then TsukasaWM. The blog said from the beginning, expect a new quest with a fun ending. Our ideas of "fun" are obviously different. You thought the endless (25) quests were fun and that the mosaic is reward enough?

Some questions then. How was the stage fun? What happened for you that did not happen for me? I really want to know! There was nothing "FUN" about it that I could see. This is what happened for me:

I stayed up to finish the surprise party quest because I couldn't wait to next day... I was excited to see what would happen. When my character came back from the SBI, the stage did not appear right away. There was nothing but a quest complete achievement popup. Then the stage finally appeared, with Misty and gang and nothing happened. I talked to Nate and he thanked everyone for doing it but there was nothing else! I talked to other NPCs and they said they were leaving. That's it. That's all.

I expected to see the cannons go off, confetti everywhere, Nate to try the projector, Nate to give me one of the treasure piles for my help, a piece of CAKE energy, or the cake finally blowing up with the dynamite in it ... anything! but there was not even a yellow exclamation to talk to anyone! NOTHING at all. That was disappointing, to say the least.

I thought it was a glitch... but it is what other people got as well. So now, I await YOUR game experience, how you found that ending fun.

I also see you are also a casual player, playing many other games. This is the only one I have time for. If I do 24 freaking quests, yes, I do expect fun and I do expect a reward. You have done this event at least twice, you have most or all the gnomes. This was my first. They didn't "EXPAND" the event "fun". They took away the gnomes, and the ability to dress up which players said was fun. You had to pay this year to be able to experience the activities as in the past, that you enjoyed.

That left us with the mosaic and a ton of additional quests. What fun...

How do you plan to use the mosaic that you like so much, for the next 11 months? As a casual player, what if you get sick, have to work late for the week, and what if the mosaic is also a reward for the 2 day quests that a casual player would likely miss?

PS: The blowing up activity was the most fun of the event and it didn't work the first time as I was in game and the movement and blowing up were not loaded until I refreshed . Good thing I tried again later.
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 11:17 AM
TsukasaWM
"Well I think your expectations are too low, then TsukasaWM. The blog said from the beginning, expect a new quest with a fun ending. Our ideas of "fun" are obviously different. You thought the endless (25) quests were fun and that the mosaic is reward enough?"

Was my mind blown or anything? No. Did I feel like I wasn't enjoying anything, not at all. Until I saw people talking about it here I didn't even know there were 25 quests. I just take whatever was available and do them.

"I expected to see the cannons go off, confetti everywhere, Nate to try the projector, Nate to give me one of the treasure piles for my help, a piece of CAKE energy, or the cake finally blowing up with the dynamite in it ... anything! but there was not even a yellow exclamation to talk to anyone! NOTHING at all. That was disappointing, to say the least."

I'll be honest, while I expected a bit more, I was wasn't expecting anything near that much. Like I said before. The big payoffs like that seem to usually be for things like for the Nate/Detective Missions. The stuff that gets added to events is usually smaller. You have to remember, CNE is only 13 people, 2 of which aren't really working on the development side of things. On top of that they're also putting a lot of work into their other games like Crusaders of the Lost Idols. I think that needs to be kept in mind when you set your expectations.

"I thought it was a glitch... but it is what other people got as well. So now, I await YOUR game experience, how you found that ending fun."

Like I said, it's basically what I expected from it. It met my expectations so why would I have a complaint? Did I find it fun? Actually, yeah I did. Nate is a total punching bag of a character, he's always causing trouble, no one really likes him. Despite that, those characters still got together and put something together to make his birthday a little more special. I thought that was a nice little story, and the underlying implication that they're partly doing it to keep nate out of trouble for awhile was amusing. It's not about the flashiness to me, but the story.

"I also see you are also a casual player, playing many other games. This is the only one I have time for."

I think you underestimate how much time I have available. If anything if you go back through the forums one of the things I've argued constantly is that things in this game aren't friendly enough to casual players that don't have a lot of time to put into the game. I don't play all day, I log in once, use my energy and that's it.

"If I do 24 freaking quests, yes, I do expect fun and I do expect a reward. You have done this event at least twice, you have most or all the gnomes."

That's true, that's also why I'm glad it changes a little each year. That's been one of my complaints with things like the spring/halloween events is that they hardly change.

"This was my first. They didn't "EXPAND" the event "fun". They took away the gnomes, and the ability to dress up which players said was fun. You had to pay this year to be able to experience the activities as in the past, that you enjoyed."

This is one point that I'll actually agree with you. As much as I love supporting the Devs, there's way too much stuff in this game locked behind way too many Bush Bucks. I know you mentioned I have most of the gnomes/ribbons. That's true. I however have very few, if any of the event pets or ranch items because they tend to be too expensive. I've always agreed with having the old rewards available, but I don't agree with having them locked behind paid money.

"How do you plan to use the mosaic that you like so much, for the next 11 months?"

I mean, it's a mosaic, I have it in my house at the moment. I might keep it up, I might not, it depends on how it ends up looking. But I'll use it the same way as all my gnomes and ribbons, as a decoration to remember the past events I've done.

"As a casual player, what if you get sick, have to work late for the week, and what if the mosaic is also a reward for the 2 day quests that a casual player would likely miss?"

From what I remember, the devs confirmed already that mosaic pieces will only be from event rewards.
77 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 12:41 PM
Last Edited February 1st 2016 at 12:44 PM
kittypurrrs
Mind blowing? I asked for the fun ending. I didn't even get cake. I knew how many quests there were because I was also doing the Wiki page, but it was too many for nothing to show for it regardless.

I used or, as well as the word ANYTHING ... NOT ALL, but ANYTHING. I added ALL of those points because the DEVS did! You still never stated how the stage setup was a fun new addition (umm let me guess, because... is supposed to be an answer) being you enjoyed chiding us for NOT HAVING all the "fun" that you were. I had to rewrite the lines from the event and no, it was not a "story" line. It was tasks we had to do, so sorry kiddo! You must be from the Facebook generation whereby a friend is someone who likes you with an online click, and a story is one line of text...

And you admit disappointment in your "to be honest" statement, but still want to argue your point? *rolls eyes* I also saw you were casual and stated it, as well as read some of your past comments. So what you are saying is you complain about something you don't like and want it changed, but we can't?

Ummmm my point is that nothing changed! They just added more quest s and TOOK AWAY the fun stuff. Arguing that something changed for the better is pointless. it didn't!

You had to back the Devs here because they are understaffed? WOW! Thanks, I hear it enough from them. And, because you LOVE them? Hmmmm....

Being understaffed is not our problem, it is theirs. We are here to play the game. They are supposed to be making it fun. And your point about them copying and pasting events is laughable. How can you on one hand say that it is boring and repeated,and have COMPLAINED IN THE PAST, yet on the other hand say, but its okay I had "fun?" That means that you have LOWERED your expectations of what a game should be! Seriously!

Also if they are all spending so much time on idols, how can you feel that is okay for those who actually DO PLAY this game, not just on a casual basis? How fair is it that we have 4 layers of popups, and less and less awards and rewards, but more and more items are being monetized? So many vendors and stores for items, a monetized VIP program, daily "sell off" of pets $$$ How do you think they were able to roll out and hold launch parties for Idols? It was from Bushwhacker revenue. If they didn't have the staff to do idols, and keep up with Bushwhacker, how fair is it that Bushwhacker suffers as a result?

We are all entitled to our opinions, however, you could have stated your opinion without telling us we are somehow too demanding, as YOU liked the event and the mosaic. (I read your old messages so I get it. You are a complainer complaining about other people complaining.)

Edited for typos.
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 2:11 PM
TsukasaWM
"Mind blowing? I asked for the fun ending. I didn't even get cake. I knew how many quests there were because I was also doing the Wiki page, but it was too many for nothing to show for it regardless."

I'm sorry your SUBJECTIVE opinion is different then mine.

"You still never stated how the stage setup was a fun new addition"

Once again, I'm sorry your SUBJECTIVE opinion is different then mine.

"umm let me guess, because... is supposed to be an answer) being you enjoyed chiding us for NOT HAVING all the "fun" that you were."

I'm sorry, but what? Apparently you took something the wrong way because I wasn't chiding anyone.

"I had to rewrite the lines from the event and no, it was not a "story" line. It was tasks we had to do, so sorry kiddo!"

I'm not sure what point you're aiming to make here. There's clearly a story behind why they're creating a stage for Nate. It's not much, it's not anything grand, but it is there.

"You must be from the Facebook generation whereby a friend is someone who likes you with an online click, and a story is one line of text..."

No, actually I'm not. I'm from the Mr. Rodgers generation where we were taught to use our imaginations and expand upon the world around us. The devs only gave a few lines of story? That's not enough? Sure, that's a reasonable argument, at the same time I find it enjoyable to expand upon the story in my own mind. To create a more personal tie between the characters. Personally, I'm glad there's any story in the first place because most daily games have none to begin with.

"And you admit disappointment in your "to be honest" statement, but still want to argue your point? *rolls eyes* I also saw you were casual and stated it, as well as read some of your past comments. So what you are saying is you complain about something you don't like and want it changed, but we can't?"

I'm sorry, but I'm not having this argument. If you want to cherry pick out past comments to try and make some irrelevant point, knock yourself out. I'm not to dignify that. Believe it or not, people aren't required to have a black and white, one or the other opinion. I do agree parts of the event were disappointing, my argument is that I didn't feel they were anywhere near as disappointing as you guys have made it to be.

"Ummmm my point is that nothing changed! They just added more quest s and TOOK AWAY the fun stuff. Arguing that something changed for the better is pointless. it didn't!"

Except something did change. The story focused from Nate's event stations messing up, and dragon's roasting the commons, to the characters wanting to build a stage for Nate. Once again, the definition of "Fun" is subjective. Just because you felt the stage event wasn't fun doesn't mean it wasn't. I found it fun, I'm sure others did too, just as well as others didn't. That's fine. That's the point of opinions.

"You had to back the Devs here because they are understaffed? WOW! Thanks, I hear it enough from them."

Since I got better things to do then stalk other users history, I thought maybe you were newer and didn't know much about the Dev team. I was just pointing that out because I thought you might have thought the team was really big and that might have skewed your expectations.

"And, because you LOVE them? Hmmmm....""

I'm not sure what point your making here.

"Being understaffed is not our problem, it is theirs. We are here to play the game. They are supposed to be making it fun."

Once again, fun is subjective.

"And your point about them copying and pasting events is laughable. How can you on one hand say that it is boring and repeated,and have COMPLAINED IN THE PAST, yet on the other hand say, but its okay I had "fun?" That means that you have LOWERED your expectations of what a game should be! Seriously!"

God forbid people's opinions change over time, or have different opinions on different parts of the game.

"Also if they are all spending so much time on idols, how can you feel that is okay for those who actually DO PLAY this game, not just on a casual basis? How fair is it that we have 4 layers of popups, and less and less awards and rewards, but more and more items are being monetized? So many vendors and stores for items, a monetized VIP program, daily "sell off" of pets $$$"

I never said I was okay with that. I literally said I feel there's too much stuff requiring real money, so I"m not sure what your point is.

"How do you think they were able to roll out and hold launch parties for Idols? It was from Bushwhacker revenue. If they didn't have the staff to do idols, and keep up with Bushwhacker, how fair is it that Bushwhacker suffers as a result?"

I didn't know your handing their finances, and thus privy to how they were spending money. I've been playing idols since it was literally given to the council as an alpha build. They put a ton of time and effort into the development of that game which is why it's gotten as successful as it has. They've busted their assess getting it ready and getting it out onto the different platforms. Lets say they did need to use some Bushwhacker money to get it started. So what? That's how business works, you use money from your successful projects to fund new ones.

"We are all entitled to our opinions, however, you could have stated your opinion without telling us we are somehow too demanding, as YOU liked the event and the mosaic. (I read your old messages so I get it. You are a complainer complaining about other people complai"

You are taking my comment way, way, too personally. I made it not as an insult, but to try and get you guys to step back and re-think your opinions. If you don't want to change yours, that's fair enough. I never stated you were too demanding, my point was I felt you didn't have the right frame of mind about the event, nothing more.

I'm sorry, but let me know when you're ready to have an adult discussion. You seem more intent on throwing your anger over something you didn't like at others who don't share your opinion. When you're ready to calm down and actually talk about our opinions, let me know, otherwise you can stop bothering with stalking my history and trying to bait me into a fight with personal attacks, it's not going to work.
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 4:18 PM
Flybaby
TsukasaWM I have also loved and played this game for 3 years, but it seems the longer I play, the more perks are being taken away. We used to be offered pets and CI's for our ranches at one time. Now we have to pay real money for them. And, also taking away the achievement of dressing up like Nate and/or dragon really cheated newbies of a little fun in Nate's birthday event. Not that it was that big of a deal, but it was cute.
TsukasaWM, You may personally enjoy the mosaic piece award (because you are "bored"), but if most players can't figure out what that is,[ and we have to wait an entire year to see the results], you can imagine how confused the newer players feel. I don't know that many players who will have that kind of patience to wait that long.
Good marketing advice: If the devs want to entice newbies to play this game (and experienced players to continue playing), they need to keep it fun .. don't try our patience ... I'm not normally one to complain, but that's all I have to say
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 4:40 PM
TsukasaWM
"TsukasaWM I have also loved and played this game for 3 years, but it seems the longer I play, the more perks are being taken away. We used to be offered pets and CI's for our ranches at one time. Now we have to pay real money for them."

Like I said before, I do agree with this. There are far too many things requiring BB these days, regardless of whether they're items we used to get for free or new things. Really, it wouldn't be that bad if the stuff was a lot cheaper, but at the moment it's just too expensive.

"And, also taking away the achievement of dressing up like Nate and/or dragon really cheated newbies of a little fun in Nate's birthday event. Not that it was that big of a deal, but it was cute."

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn they posted saying somewhere you can actually still get it this year, it's just not listed in the event window. I don't know if you still had to pay for those items or not, I got them all last year so I have no way to check.

"TsukasaWM, You may personally enjoy the mosaic piece award (because you are "bored")"

Where did I say I was bored? I have plenty of fun playing the game. I enjoy the piece because I think it's a cool idea. I like puzzles, I like building things once piece of a time. I can understand that's not for everyone which is fair enough, but I don't know why everyone is so dead set on trying to convince me that I'm wrong on my own personal feelings.

"but if most players can't figure out what that is,[ and we have to wait an entire year to see the results], you can imagine how confused the newer players feel. I don't know that many players who will have that kind of patience to wait that long."

In all honestly, I don't totally disagree. I really like the idea of the mosaic, like I said. But I can at least agree the pieces should have been a reward for something different, like finding a piece in each new area, or an island shop, or something. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with them trying anything different. They do surveys after the events, if people are truly confused by the mosaics or don't like them, then the results will show that. I just think that at literally 1 event into the year it's too early to be calling it either way. Same thing with people calling it "Ugly". We have one piece, until we get a few more I think it's too early to judge it's appearance.
1819 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 5:31 PM
Flybaby
TsukasaWM, I really don't have a lot more to say. When I re-read all of our comments, I realize that we all enjoy the game in different ways. I don't want to argue about our preferences about the game. We can agree to disagree, and that's okay ... it's what makes the world go round. But my opinion really goes out to the developers, so they can try to have a game that attracts both new and experienced players. Wishing you all the best!
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 1st 2016 at 6:40 PM
TsukasaWM
"TsukasaWM, I really don't have a lot more to say. When I re-read all of our comments, I realize that we all enjoy the game in different ways. I don't want to argue about our preferences about the game. We can agree to disagree, and that's okay ... it's what makes the world go round. But my opinion really goes out to the developers, so they can try to have a game that attracts both new and experienced players. Wishing you all the best!"

No, I totally agree. I'm just trying to make sure I'm being clear on where I'm coming from since some people see to either be misunderstanding or taking it the wrong way.
77 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 2nd 2016 at 12:43 PM
kittypurrrs
TsukasaWM: "I'm sorry, but let me know when you're ready to have an adult discussion."

That is not personal or insulting? You like to use this in your posts, but it is simply an insult.

TsukasaWM: "I think you guys had way too high expectations"

That was your first comment and why I replied to you. You were not just stating an opinion, you were implying WE were not acting in accordance to your Love of the game. (and the Devs as well it seems...)

TsukasaWM: "You are taking my comment way, way, too personally. I made it not as an insult, but to try and get you guys to step back and re-think your opinions. If you don't want to change yours, that's fair enough. I never stated you were too demanding, my point was I felt you didn't have the right frame of mind about the event, nothing more."

"I do agree parts of the event were disappointing, my argument is that I didn't feel they were anywhere near as disappointing as you guys have made it to be.

NOW I am cherry picking! What I have done previously is reply.

The blog said from the beginning, expect a new quest with a fun ending. Our ideas of "fun" are obviously different, yet you continue to argue as though we all to have the same opinion as yourself.

I am not angry, nor do I need to make myself "calm." I was annoyed with the addition of useless quests and have every right to state my opinions. I will repeat, you are a complainer who complains about other people complaining and loves to argue.

I read all of the forums and am not "stalking" you for having looked at your past posts on forums. I always find that those who complain about other players complaining, are complainers themselves and knew I would not be disappointed! Feel free to do the same for me! At least I am not a hypocrite...

Finally, the survey is out. You can go profess your love for the devs and the game there now!
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 2nd 2016 at 1:34 PM
TsukasaWM
Feel free to let me know when you're ready to have an adult conversation
763 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 3rd 2016 at 2:44 PM
Russel Denton
theres an old saying and it goes like this " YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE " and it looks like the player TsukasaWM is one of them,

if you think you can make a better game and please everyone at the same time then do it TsukasaWM.

the devs are trying to make things interesting for ALL players not a small minority , so stop think about yourself and start thinking about fellow players and what they want too.
273 Posts
Link to post - Posted February 3rd 2016 at 3:03 PM
TsukasaWM
"theres an old saying and it goes like this " YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE " and it looks like the player TsukasaWM is one of them,"

You seem to have this backwards, I'm perfectly happy with the event. The other people are the ones unhappy with it. Believe it or not, people are allowed to have mixed opinions on things. Either way, you're severely over-underestimating my unhappiness with this game. I would have been playing for years now if I was as unhappy as you seem to think I am.

"if you think you can make a better game and please everyone at the same time then do it TsukasaWM."

Come on man, now we're doing strawmen?

"the devs are trying to make things interesting for ALL players not a small minority , so stop think about yourself and start thinking about fellow players and what they want too."

Absolutely, but unless you've got some number from the devs it's unfair to argue that the majority had issues with the event. I'm on the council, I'm fully aware there's a wide variety of opinions. You guys offered one, that the event was disappointing, I offered another, that it wasn't. That's how this works. Obviously you guys don't agree with mine and vice versa. That's fine, it's that kind of back and forth that helps find a neutral middle ground that will make the majority happy. I didn't post a half page demanding you justify your opinions, yet when it's flipped suddenly I'm the bad guy here. I guess we're not allowed to enjoy the game or defend the devs here as everytime someone does people feel the need to start a full on brawl rather then having an actual discussion.