Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2
Spring Garden Event 2015
305 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 8:51 AM
Kate (aquafishy)
I personally would like to see a prize for a random garden, so that any entry has a chance in the end.
Lvl 330 "Pseudo Achiever"
438 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 10:33 AM
Marci Wilson
I didn't bother to enter this year, or vote for that matter...

I think that there should be some kind of minimum standard in order to enter... i.e-must have actually placed a certain number of points worth of items-completed at least a 'C' rating from the final judge....

I think that by releasing the photo contest portion of event so early in the event, not only does it encourage laziness, but it allows the empty gardens to remain in circulation and grab votes by default from the beginning of the event...

I actually sort of wish that they would do away with the contest altogether, but there ARE some good creative submissions...
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 3:42 PM
Raymond
didn't remember to say this in my post event survey.
but next year you really should change the 'photograph' system somewhat.
1. make sure to have an 'are you sure' button or an escape clause.
2. I never understood the following, not here in this event 3 or 4 years and not in other similar events. quote "You can submit as many times as you would like, but only your most recent submission will get the votes. Each time you do submit a screenshot, your votes will reset, so plan carefully!"

the first sentence makes total sense. the second should be just plain wrong.
If person x makes a simple change of a single flower why should all progress be lost? people liked what he had, people will still like what now has.
If person y changes his design completely why should all progress be lost? people liked what he had and who knows if they will like the new design, but they should be the ones to whittle away at its worthiness, not some arbitrary reset to baseline completely.
If person z submits a relatively good one very early, why should that one have such a great advantage over a really good one submitted later on.

all that last bit is my opinion. but I think almost anyone agrees with it.

i like Aqua's idea for one random winner in addition to the voted winners.

and the ELO system can be gamed. for example, a pretty bad design can win if it is let known to everyone through facebook (or other platforms) to please vote on it. or one person looks at the submissions thousands of times to see that one a few hundred times and votes on it... 14+ days is a long time to be able to do a lot of damage. I'm not sure if somehow limiting ones own ability to see the same ones over and over again could work, for example I'd never see the egrets again if I saw them once??? BUT I don't like seeing all the same ones over and over again. There is something generally wrong with that.
Lvl 330 "Pseudo Achiever"
438 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 3:58 PM
Marci Wilson
Exactly, Raymond...

If a player is only given the same pictures to vote on again and again, the other pictures that are never seen never get a vote..

After seeing the same picture several times in one session, I generally don't bother to vote again, knowing that I will be looking at the same submissions as I have already voted upon...

What is in place is very, very, flawed.
34 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 8:10 PM
Last Edited May 15th 2015 at 8:29 PM
Julia Johnston
I agree with these suggestions. I would like to see somewhat of a complete restructure of the voting system myself.
In addition to Aqua's 'random' winner (which I would prefer to be all non-winning entries) and to Marci's point system and to Raymond's #1 and first part of #2 (agreeing fully with your #2 suggestions) I would like to see something like this:

1) 5 days for growing, designing and creating your entry. Meeting certain criteria in order for an entry to be acceptable. My suggestion would be to use the point system that is already in place just not yet being utilized in this way. (thank you Marci for helping me put that together mentally)
2) 5 days of accepting entries (no voting) updates aloud; visible to all - updated every hour? to be able to see the competition
3) 4 days for the community to vote on entries (no updates aloud).

I would purpose a voting system that aloud one to view all the entries, two at a time (using the current layout), and select a certain amount to vote for (say 25 or perhaps a percentage of the total number of entries). One would be allowed to vote for that many in a 24 hour period. (repeating 4 times if voting lasted for 4 days). A new counter will need to be added to the display to help the player know how many votes they've used or how many they have left (to be decided at a later time). In order to make aware the fact that there is a 'neither' option - clear wording will need to be added. But I think these changes can be made in a short period of time.

As always PLEASE feel free to comment on discussions!!! I want to represent the Facebook BW2 community as a whole, not just my ideas, not just people who use this forum, not just people who only use the chat: but Everyone as a whole.
Post by Julia Johnston deleted May 15th 2015 at 8:19 PM
Lvl 440 "Other Peoples Problem Solver!"
5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 8:25 PM
Raymond
well I'll give you my honest opinion.
All good.
But.
i think the Devs would say, would we have a major revamping of 2 events (Halloween also has voting like this), or would we like new things?
perhaps not all so major, I think some of this can be implemented with very little design and coding and testing, really.
34 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 15th 2015 at 8:30 PM
Julia Johnston
yes, I agree. I hit the 'post reply' button a bit eagerly. I have edited my post after more consideration (before reading your reply Raymond). :)
3620 Posts
Link to post - Posted May 16th 2015 at 2:42 PM
Erika/Alyniana
Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will put it on the list for next time, but I can't guarantee anything.

If you read the garden contest blog, you'll note that players had to pass all 5 judges with a D to even submit. As well, this year it didn't start until players had 3 days to make their gardens.

The reset votes clause is so that players get a fair shake. It may not be just a simple 1 flower change, but a whole garden change. Then it's not what players voted for anymore.

Plus, the player votes only count for 1 winner.

The Codename Choices for the first, second and third are taken from all the entries.

For next time we may consider putting in the detection for non-empty things.

Erika