Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
 | Page 1 2 3 4
What the **** has happened to this game?

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 8:15 AM
TsukasaWM
I'll save people some time and say in advance that I'm probably beating a dead horse here. That out of the way I'm just going to go right ahead and say it. What in the **** has happened to this game? I remember the alpha coming out and having so many high hopes for the game. The graphics were great, the storyline was entertaining, and most importantly they took so many of the things that made other games of this genre tedious, annoying and P2W and did away with them. Yeah, there was stamina but you could still play quite a bit each day, yeah there was things to buy with shardium but they were minor/cosmetic. The game was fun, there were a ton of new players, chat was lively, we even got featured on the front page of kongregate. Since then it's been a never-ending death spiral.

The game is slowly having the fun sucked out of it. It's great up until you finish the current story, then it's literally nothing but grind. Grind HoT to get 5 sets of equipment for you and your companions, grind MP to get 5 sets of equipment to hold you over until then, grind brotherhood missions to get some tiny fraction of a bonus to your stats, then go grind missions to maybe get enough gold to enchant a piece of equipment up a few levels, oh and grind levels whacking objects to maybe get enough gems to decently gem equipment me, all so you can go grind out 20 arena battles so you can do it all over tomorrow.I realize this genre is based partly on grinding, that's fine, but it just isn't fun anymore.

Then there's guilds, which we may as well not even have. There's what, 2, maybe 3 active guilds on the server if you're lucky. The rest of us are lucky to have 2 or 3 active members. No worries, we'll pick up so more new players. Oh no, wait, we won't because the server split killed the population. Even when we're lucky enough to get a new player on the server they won't join our guild because there's no active members.

Why aren't their active members? Because apparently the devs are dead set on trying to do everything possible to ruin any chance of success the game had and milk as much money out of it as possible before the inevitable shut-down. It's like, almost every single day I log into the game and there's some new thing being sold for shardium. Would that be so bad in and of itself? No really. It's the massive increase in P2W elements that's destroying it. I'm sorry, the HoT glyphs amoung other things have completely passed the line of "Minor stat increases" to straight-up P2W territory. Oh, but no, it's okay, we get 1 whole glyph a month if we check in every day, yeah, that definitely evens things out. Why don't you just drop all the shardium items and make this game subscription based already. If you have any intention of trying to get anywhere on the leaderboards you're practically going to be paying one anyway.

I know some people are going to ask why I'm even still playing at this point. Because honestly I just can't bring myself to give up on a character I've probably put a few hundred hours towards at this point, as well as $100+ towards. Giving up feels like I've wasted all that time and money that I was so excited to put towards this game in the beginning. I'm getting there though, I'm slowly spending less and less time on this game and it sucks. We used to have such a fun active community around here. I used to hang out in the chat for hours talking to some of the new friends I made playing this game. Now, they're all gone.

Am I mad? Somewhat. Mostly, I'm just disappointed. I fought with people numerous times in alpha, and again when beta started that this wasn't going to turn into a P2W, cash-grab game. I argued numerous times that we need to trust the devs because of how good they did with BW2. I defended them time and time again in regards to how few updates we were getting. All that for what? The game is turning into a complete P2W cash-grab, exactly what it looked like it was trying so hard not to be in alpha. The dev team is practically non-existant. We went from having a team that kept us updated almost daily and put out numerous updates, to what's now a ghost town where we don't have the slightest clue of what's going on anymore, we've got content that's been promised for over 4 months now that appears to be no closer to release, we got a game that's practically dead because of how the devs are choosing to change and manage the game and we've even got the cash grabbing slowly leaking into the other games like BW2.

I don't really know what else to say. I wish I could understand what in the **** is going on at the CNE offices where these choices sound like a good idea and make sense. Do you guys just not care anymore? Is the company going under? Are you just being greedy? Seriously, what is going on these days. I just don't understand how a company whose games I've played daily for a few years now, spent I don't even know how much money on and defended so unquestionably is going downhill so badly. I think you guys owe us an answer for at least that.

232 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 9:13 AM
Last Edited April 3rd 2015 at 9:16 AM
Andaho
I too used to defend the devs, and argue with people that this game wouldn't become P2W...

The reason I liked this game, and why I was happy to spend slightly upwards of $20 a month on it, is because it was like all the lame P2W games... but without the lame P2W stuff.

They've been adding more and more P2W stuff all the time...

So I agree with you there,

although...

I disagree about the grind... I like still being able to do stuff in the game... Having stuff to aim for. I really like the Heroic Tiers - finally a permanent challenge in the game :) (v-day heroic was fun too, but was only a temporary event).

Dieeasy was the perfect example of how to lose a dedicated player... he was foolish buying the P2W stuff ... and soon after he did, he regretted it... then he has resentment for the game, and ends up quitting. - that's what happens in most P2W games... but I had high hopes that this game would be different.

50 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 9:13 AM
Jomale
Couldn't have said it better.

221 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 9:18 AM
Elharith
Tsukasa, I am not going to speak for the devs, but a reply that I was given to a thread where I posted much of the same things you are saying, but not nearly as well said, in part stated (quoting David from this thread http://forum.codenameentertainment.com/?thread_id=10235&page=2) :

"We realize without missions to play, without content to do that players will finish up tire of waiting and move on. That is pretty basic. Fleshing out lots of end game features for players to play when they finish the campaign content is the answer to that. It is the answer that WoW used, D3 used, Wartune used, and countless other games of this type. Unfortunately we are still building those features and they are taking us longer than we would like. Partially because they are bigger than we anticipated and partially because we are a small team that has other games we need to continue to support so we can keep the lights on."

My personal opinion is that the last seven words of that quote are instructive and informative, and directly pertain to all the changes we have seen in the last month.

We have actually discussed this exact scenario (a business' lack of operating funds) in The Kindred, and feel that a Kickstarter campaign with creative non-direct-game rewards for supporters based on a level of support would be a better approach than the current continual P2W features that are being added on an almost daily basis lately. Some of the ideas we came up with were real-life gear players could wear while playing the game--like a real lumberjack plaid shirt. Or a bounty named after you, like "Annie's Magnificent Bounty" where players would kill weeds that had come to life and were taking over her garden (that would be fun in a jungle setting). Or (wishing I'd written them down now, they were very creative ideas) something like was done in the BW2 charity fundraising campaign last fall where a character in the game was named after your toon. Feel free to add your own ideas here if you think this would be an idea that you would support, rather than continually turning SOT into P2W. We don't want it to be Wartune. That's why we are playing *this* game and *not* Wartune. If venture capital is needed, there are better ways to go about it. 'nuff said.

40 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 9:37 AM
dansonage
All good points, I like the idea of some sort of fundraising if the devs are in need of it.
But a quick point in defence of the paying features. They are not that bad, yes the packs are expensive for the in game bonuses you get. But the content in the packs is all stuff that you can find ingame. All paying does is speed up the endgame grind a bit. I have played many games where paying players have gear so far superior to non-paying that there is no way to compete with them. This game doesn't do that, you can compete without paying.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 11:25 AM
TsukasaWM
I disagree. Someone that can get double hot tokens will have an advantage over someone that can't. Same with brotherhood missions, gems, slotting rods, etc. Yes some paid options make things faster, but several definitely provide a stat advantage of nonpayers

886 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 11:39 AM
David Whittaker (CNE Dev)
Hi TsukasaWM,

It is certainly frustrating for us to see a player who clearly cares about the game get so discouraged. I will speak to your post as best I can.

As a development team we have always been very wary of anything that is pay to win, we value the player experience being fair for everyone. In the interest of fairness where ever possible we try to make purchased items save time, and reduce grinding, but always be within reach of someone who invests with time and dedication.

The game needs to support itself, we need to pay our developers, our artists, and our content creators, we also need to pay for servers and bandwidth. The game is free to play, but it has to offer something in game for players to purchase otherwise how can we afford to produce it?

We feel that offering items like the Hall of Trials Glyph is actually a very reasonable way to do this. I would argue strongly that it is not a pay to win feature. If you chose to buy one your next Hall of Trials run rewards twice as many tokens. This gets you ahead by one days worth of Hall of Trails tokens. A good value for the player who got the Glyph, and not out of reach for a player only investing their time in the game.

I think if you can answer the question "Can a player reasonably get this item or the value it provides by investing their time?" with a yes then the item being sold isn't pay to win.

I know the Jungle update is a long time coming but we have been making steady progress on it. We have a lot of things to juggle so progress hasn't been what we would have hoped but a lot of hours are dedicated to it! Plus the features like Crafting, and Being able to upgrade your gears are important to getting the Jungle out so they are in part steps towards the Jungle! It's coming! I'm sorry its not here yet, but it is coming!

So I have two questions for you:

1. What you feel is and isn't reasonable for us to sell in the game? if you limit the sales to cosmetic items, and cosmetic items don't make enough to support the game what would you do?

2. When you reach the end of the campaign content what would you propose as an alternative to repeating content such as the HoT, Brotherhood Tasks, and Bounties?

-David

11 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 12:55 PM
Keiah
Personally I just feel like you split the community up on the servers themselves. There are LIMITED people who can do for instance T3+ Heroic MP's and if you get stuck having to do a pre-requisite tier you can never do it. I now log in, create a group try to get a T2+ group going hoping other people haven't done them yet and log off if I cant do a group. Since I cannot do the same Tier multiple times a day for power crystals, whats even the point?

Also, Level 15/25 Gear from Heroic Forest / Desert is laughable. Getting Boarhide pants from a T4 card draw?

232 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 12:59 PM
Andaho
Very well answered David... If it was as bad as Tsu is suggesting, then I wouldn't be playing any more.

I do also like the comment about "if we wanted to play wartune, we'd play wartune"... It is sad to see the game getting very similar to wartune (not that I've played it, but Annie says it is getting more and more like wartune with each update).

As a competitive player, I've always said I'll quit the game when I feel I can no longer be competitive due to high-spending players... It seems like it's just a matter of time until that happens... but I'm not put off by the balance yet (I'm still here!).

9 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 1:45 PM
Yackamary
I also really dislike pay to win, i was in the top 5 players for a while, but then people started to use $ to pay for unlimited reforging of gear, and this latest update gives them more HOT stuff... Sorry to say david but this update makes me really sad, i was committed to be the best until i found out its just another pay to win game...

your free players are just as important as your cash mallers, but games that give Huge jumps in power for money, makes the free players (Which is approx 80% of your player base) to end up quitting because they feel they will never catch up to the cashers.

Giving unlimited reforging for $ was a huge mistake, there is too much power associated in reforging, it should be removed asap.

I understand that a game needs cashmallers in order to run itself, but there are many other ways of making players pay $, and still not completely crush the players who do not.
Here are some of my Suggestions.
---------------------------------------
COSMETICS, Multiple outfits of a unique effect like, animated fire or futuristic animated beams on your equipment skins, since None of your current outfits have any animation to them what so ever currently.
COSMETIC EFFECTS for the skills themselves, allow player to purchase new visual effects for their current spells so they feel they are unique.
PET SYSTEM, Make pets attach to your main hero by a slot you can put just above the heros head in the Equipment section . Make the pets hover above or beside the hero during fights so you get a small extra visual effect And it is still considered hero + 2 companions and you make it so the pets die in battle when your main hero does. Cashmallers can get pets with slightly higher stats and cooler looks, Sort of like your current cosmetic items, if cash mallers get Small stat bonuses thats not too bad, and is acceptable. but something like, Unlimited reforging of gear is completely unacceptably over powered and completely un balanced. You can make pets do a voriaty of different things to make them more diverse Like For example:

Pet example 1: Pets stat could give primary stat like a ring, and increases as you level it up.

Pet example 2: Pet can have a small amount of damage like 75, and increases a bit as you level it up, and slightly increases the damage of your hero.

Pet example 3: Make pets have their own attacks Similar to a 3rd companion but cannot be attacked and dies when your hero does.

Pet Example 4: Pets can attack but cause a random debuff on the target such as (-10 speed for 2 turns) (10% of heros damage as bleed for 3 Turns) (cause freeze effect for 2 turns) Or other similar random debuffs to give your characters a slight difference between each other for strategy purposes.

You can make these pets level up using companion exp, since its not being used for anything but random paragon quests anyways.
DONATION PROMOTIONS Like (Support our devs for 100$ , gives 10,000 Shardium like it should but also throw in a limited addition Transferable skin that you may put on and take off any weapon or armor so they look amazing no matter what level they are.
OTHER IMPORTANT SUGGESTION.
Make 2 types of score boards.
Your current score board is one that rates a character completly on their current stats, but its only a matter of time before the only ones in the top 50 players are hard core cashmallers, and will crush the dreams of your less rich players.

My suggestion is making your scoreboard system and weekly winners have 2 separate sections

(Section 1: Is the same that you have now, as scoreboard that rates every single player in order of leadership in each area.

Section 2: This section will generally be a tab 2 on the current high scores but this one excludes all players who have never donated, This way you can have the free players trying to be the best in one area, and letting your powerful cashmall players fighting over another, This could also be for your pvp arena aswell, just make it have a tab that is only open to players who have not cash malled.

This may sound a little odd, and that you probably shun the players who do not pay your game money, Keep in mind that players who do not pay the game some $ are people who most likely enjoy your game and want to pay but are currently not stable enouph in life to just give out money, these are pretty harsh times and not everyone has a thick wallet to hand out $ at will. You should be happy they they enjoy your game enough to play it on a daily basis and go through the grind to get strong. But do to the current Pay to win feature, if you do not separate the score boards, only cashmallers will be on the top list, and will deter all free player eventually and that will have a huge impact on the games community.

These are my thoughts, i hope you give them some consideration.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 2:20 PM
TsukasaWM
I appreciate you taking the time out to answer david, and I'll try and take the time to clear up what I said before, since some parts of it were probably badly worded/unclear.

"As a development team we have always been very wary of anything that is pay to win, we value the player experience being fair for everyone. In the interest of fairness where ever possible we try to make purchased items save time, and reduce grinding, but always be within reach of someone who invests with time and dedication."

As a general idea, I think that's great and it's refreshing to see that point of view in a time where far too many developers are trying to pull a hit and run on their players.

"The game needs to support itself, we need to pay our developers, our artists, and our content creators, we also need to pay for servers and bandwidth. The game is free to play, but it has to offer something in game for players to purchase otherwise how can we afford to produce it?"

I also understand that. I work in IT and have also worked in game development before so I know how fast the cost for things like servers and devs can add up. In the past when I worked on games we afforded it by following the standard business model of P=R-E, meaning, if the game didn't make money, then neither did we. I'm not saying this was an ideal situation, far from it as it meant that all of us had to have at least a part time job elsewhere. I'm not saying that's what you guys should do, or that's something that is right for you guys, but just giving the example of what we did.

"We feel that offering items like the Hall of Trials Glyph is actually a very reasonable way to do this. I would argue strongly that it is not a pay to win feature. If you chose to buy one your next Hall of Trials run rewards twice as many tokens. This gets you ahead by one days worth of Hall of Trails tokens. A good value for the player who got the Glyph, and not out of reach for a player only investing their time in the game."

My issue isn't the player who buys 1 glyph every so often, it's the prospect of people buying several and getting several days ahead of people who buy none. HoT is basically the best equipment in the game, add onto that the bonuses from uses slotting rods on it and being able to lock and reroll stats on top of other paid bonuses like potions and clothing I can help but feel there's a potential for that gap to grow quite a bit, especially since may players may not be able to invest a lot of time into the game each day.

"I think if you can answer the question "Can a player reasonably get this item or the value it provides by investing their time?" with a yes then the item being sold isn't pay to win."

So far the only ways to get glyphs that I've seen is buy them or get 1 a month. 1 a month is practically negligible to a free player. For $5 I can get 2 days worth of tokens. I'd have to play just shy of 2 months to get that without spending money. Then there's slotting rod, I've still seen several people who haven't gotten a single 1 outside of paying since they were added, including myself. How is that something a free player can reasonably get?

"I know the Jungle update is a long time coming but we have been making steady progress on it. We have a lot of things to juggle so progress hasn't been what we would have hoped but a lot of hours are dedicated to it! Plus the features like Crafting, and Being able to upgrade your gears are important to getting the Jungle out so they are in part steps towards the Jungle! It's coming! I'm sorry its not here yet, but it is coming!"

The problem is this has become a boy who cried wolf situation. We keep getting told it's coming and things are leading up to it, but we've seen all of what? Like 2 screenshots of it? I'm not saying you guys are lying, but that it's hard to take any kind of stock in that.

So I have two questions for you:

1. What you feel is and isn't reasonable for us to sell in the game? if you limit the sales to cosmetic items, and cosmetic items don't make enough to support the game what would you do?

As much as no one wants to hear it, you then question the viability of keeping the game open. Does anyone want to see the game close? Fuck no. But the reality is that's what happens. You either find a way to support the game directly or you find a more indirect method of doing it, whether that means pulling money from another game, partnering up with someone, selling the game, doing a fundraiser, taking a loan, whatever.

2. When you reach the end of the campaign content what would you propose as an alternative to repeating content such as the HoT, Brotherhood Tasks, and Bounties?

My issue isn't so much the fact that content repeats so much as this game has become equipment upgrade simulator. There's no real point going after achievements since there's no benfit to them, and often times doing so will mean giving up the chance to grind out another equipment level's worth of resources. I want something more interactive to then then just spamming the 1 key on my keyboard and playing BW2.5 with all the breakable level objects. Give me an option to skip running though a level/mp instance and just straight to the reward. Like pay 20 stamina to do it normally, 25 to skip through. I'd gladly trade off doing 1 less quest a day to skip through the other 4 faster. Given me a way to upgrade my fishing rod so I can fish up my 20 stamina faster, I'd gladly through $5 towards a permenant upgraded fishing rod that got me 4 energy a minute.

Remerge the servers. The server split killed any chance of anyone being able to have a guild. It's also made it more difficult to find other players for mp. Scale back the amount of advertising at least until you manage to get the jungle shard released. Get back involved with the community. Ever since kittychix left it's been like a dev ghost town around here. No one has any idea what's going on around here any more and it just makes it look more and more like you're abandoning the game. No is going to spend money on a game they think is dying.

Put together some kind of beta-testing team. I know game balance isn't an easy thing, but there's just way too much content getting put out that just feels rushed and unbalanced. You have 2 servers. Merge the players into 1 server, get some other players together to do a private beta on the other. Find ways to put out smaller but more consistant content. Instead of trying to put out the whole jungle shard at once. Put up a mission or two each Friday or something. This game is dying because you're losing both the interest and trust of your players, you guys need to find ways to get those back and throwing more pay options at them isn't one of them.

886 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 3:26 PM
Hi Yackamary,

Thanks for the feedback, we really do like the idea of pets, it is something that is on our long term plan for Shards. They will provide many of the benefits you describe, very similar to the BW2 pets.

We are very aware not everyone has the resources to contribute and many of those players make up great members of our game community! We definitely do not shun those players!

Hi TsukasaWM,

In regards to the glyphs I think you are confounding the value.

"So far the only ways to get glyphs that I've seen is buy them or get 1 a month. 1 a month is practically negligible to a free player."

I almost put in a section above to nip that one in the bud. If you note what I said

"Can a player reasonably get this item or the value it provides by investing their time?"

You will notice I specifically call out the "value it provides". The value a glyph provides is one run through the hall of trails. Something everyone gets everyday.

"The problem is this has become a boy who cried wolf situation. We keep getting told it's coming and things are leading up to it, but we've seen all of what? Like 2 screenshots of it? I'm not saying you guys are lying, but that it's hard to take any kind of stock in that. "

If you are curious I am happy to provide some additional teaser shots, all you need to do is ask. We have made a huge amount of progress since the early shots! Besides unbeknownst to you you have had some Jungle teasers :) the Science Lab Bounties.

"As much as no one wants to hear it, you then question the viability of keeping the game open. Does anyone want to see the game close? Fuck no. But the reality is that's what happens. You either find a way to support the game directly or you find a more indirect method of doing it, whether that means pulling money from another game, partnering up with someone, selling the game, doing a fundraiser, taking a loan, whatever. "

That answer boils down to "I would rather see the game close than sell items I don't like". We want to see the game succeed. That may mean selling items some players don't like. But if the majority of players are ok with them then the game will succeed.

"Find ways to put out smaller but more consistant content."

The plan for after the Jungle is to see if we can make smaller more regularly scheduled updates, which sounds like what you mean. Level cap increases change all the end game content so its not quite a simple as it sounds, but we will see if we can't make it happen.

"Ever since kittychix left it's been like a dev ghost town around here. "

Where do you feel you need to see more dev involvement? Our new community manager Erika spends quite a bit of time in the game chats, and I have been posting and replying to many comments on the forums! Case in point...

"This game is dying because you're losing both the interest and trust of your players, you guys need to find ways to get those back and throwing more pay options at them isn't one of them."

That is pretty loaded. You can speak for yourself, but not for other players. In the last 3 weeks we have put out Companion Equipment, 3 new bounty missions with a single player and a multiplayer version of each, heroic multiplayer, heroic tiers, and equipment level up / tier up. We have added one new feature you can pay for (the Glyphs) and repackaged some items we already sell with a discount... What part of that is "throwing more pay options (at players)"?

I think its important to remember that we want the game to succeed. We aren't here making crazy decisions to try and drive players away. It is a free to play game, because we don't charge a monthly subscription part of the game succeeding means it has to have features that let players make purchases in game. We have to balance what many players want to buy with what players who don't/won't/can't spend in game find objectionable.

-David

9 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 3:38 PM
Yackamary
My biggest concern to this Game imbalance is Simply the Reforging, It costs a Cash maller 1-2 $ to reforge their gear, to a cash maller this ammount is practically nothing, a mere 10th of an hour of work. However the problem i have is that a none cashmaller doing 20 PVP battles 5 MP and 6 Campaigns, can only get Maybe, 1-2 Reforges a day. were the cashmaller can reforge their gear an obserd ammount of times. You limit everything else, i say if your not going to stop them from cash malling reforges, AT THE VERY LEAST. make reforging cap at 5 times a day.

886 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 3:39 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the term Cash maller mean? I am not familiar and a google search didn't return a definition.

52 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 3:47 PM
Annie
Lol, that's what I was just googling myself. :D

6 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 3:48 PM
asagefever
This is my first game of this type.I found it because of BW2. At first it was a tad confusing but fun and easy to learn.Blue gear was better than green etc. Now I feel like I need a course on whats what as this no longer holds true *battle ratings*. I spend money on both games but it does seem they both want more each day. If I did VIP on both that's $240.00 a year. Toss in some extras and it adds up quick.I really like the kickstarter idea.I've committed time, money and *love the developers* so I'm am staying for now.Excellent post TsukasaWM exchange between players and makers is always a good thing.

52 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 4:00 PM
Annie
Well, for someone who has spent some money on the game and is a regular VIP, I can say that I rarely reforge my HoT gear. Always only after I had grinded enough HoT tokens to buy one item. And because I did all stamina missions and MP's every day, I had enough crystals to upgrade them to epic ones, so I can reroll my epic secondary stats. There were some people that I know of that used shardium to reroll their equipment, but I don't see how they are unbeatable in arena in any way.

I have spent a few shards here and there to buy an odd intel gem in the shop, just because my luck of having them drop has been disasterous, also the absence of the slotting rod (bugger just doesn't drop for me) "encouraged" me to buy the V-day's pack. I guess I don't mind spending on things that seem important to me because I love the game, love myself having a good time, and occasionally I even do love the devs. We give them hard time 24/7 but they are working hard to provide us with this game, new content and, in the end, if you feel like it's unfair that they ask for money (in exchange for some game stuff) because they have invested their time and talents in this game, well, maybe you're just being a douchebag yourself. We all need to pay bills, don't forget that.

273 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 4:45 PM
TsukasaWM
"You will notice I specifically call out the "value it provides". The value a glyph provides is one run through the hall of trails. Something everyone gets everyday."

Let me rephrase my issue a different way because I think we're on two different pages here. You have 2 players. Player 1 is a free player Player 2 spends money. Both play everyday and do a full HoT run everyday. Lets assume a 30 day month. Player 1 gets 30 runs + 1 run from a glyph. Over the course of the month player 2 buys 2 glyphs a week. So they get 30 runs + 1 from a glyph + 8 he paid for, so 39 total. Both players do this each month, so if we plot it out.

1 month - Player 1 - 31 runs Player 2 - 39 Runs so a difference of +8 runs
2 months Player 1 62 runs total Player 2 - 78 runs total + 16 runs
3 months Player 1 - 93 runs total Player 2 - 117 runs total + 24 runs

Lets assume 1 run = 22 tokens. That's 176 extra tokens a month total. So by the end of 3 months.

Player 1 has earned a total of 2046 tokens
Player 2 has earned a total of 2574 tokens

That's a difference of 528 tokens, or somewhere around 3 to 5 pieces of equipment.

Now, if I added right a full HoT for 1 character is 685 tokens which means Player 2 is getting almost a full set of equipment extra over 3 months. All for what? $20 a month? That not a crazy amount to expect someone to spend a month.

More shorter, in the case of HoT tokens there's no for a free player to make that difference up no matter how much extra time they put in because they literally can't. That's not taking into consideration the other stat effecting things people can pay for.

"If you are curious I am happy to provide some additional teaser shots, all you need to do is ask. We have made a huge amount of progress since the early shots! Besides unbeknownst to you you have had some Jungle teasers :) the Science Lab Bounties."

The point is, people shouldn't have to beg for information in the first place. Ultimately no one has any clue where you guys are even at because nothing is ever shared. That doesn't mean spoil the entire shard, but there needs to be more getting shown off.

"That answer boils down to "I would rather see the game close than sell items I don't like". "

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. BW2 sells plenty of items I don't like or have any desire to pay for, yet you don't see me complaining about those. Why? Because no one really gaining any real advantage over anyone else buying them. I want you guys to sell items, I also don't mind buying stuff which is why I've probably put at least $100 towards the game so far. However, I also don't want to put money towards items I feel are encouraging an aspect of gameplay I don't approve of and that I both feel and am worried are/will drive players away from this game.

"The plan for after the Jungle is to see if we can make smaller more regularly scheduled updates, which sounds like what you mean. Level cap increases change all the end game content so its not quite a simple as it sounds, but we will see if we can't make it happen."

Then perhaps there should be less of an approach towards end game content and more content that's either early game, which might encourage players to have more then 1 character, or content that isn't really leveled based.

"Where do you feel you need to see more dev involvement? Our new community manager Erika spends quite a bit of time in the game chats, and I have been posting and replying to many comments on the forums! Case in point..."

It's one of those things that's hard to really put into words. It's not just responding to posts. Kittychix almost didn't feel like a CNE employee, but rather another player that was just hanging out here. It feels like there was more of open flow of information when she was here. It's not something I can really fully describe and maybe it's just me that feels that way.

"That is pretty loaded. You can speak for yourself, but not for other players. In the last 3 weeks we have put out Companion Equipment, 3 new bounty missions with a single player and a multiplayer version of each, heroic multiplayer, heroic tiers, and equipment level up / tier up. We have added one new feature you can pay for (the Glyphs) and repackaged some items we already sell with a discount... What part of that is "throwing more pay options (at players)"?"

Fine, I won't argue that it isn't a load question, but look at the game comments. 3 of the most recent and highly upvoted comments are people warning of P2W elements. There's also at least a couple other people in this topic alone that, from my understanding, sound worried about P2W elements being added to the game. Ultimately 99% of the P2W issue game down to you guys adding the arena and leaderboards. Without those I think the vast majority of P2W concerns wouldn't even exist.

That aside, opinions can lie, numbers can't. You can't honestly tell me the number of active players has decreased significantly since the start of the year. I've seen it myself playing the game, seeing the chat die, seeing my guild go from a near full active guild to I think like 7 players. Do I think the jungle shard will renew some interest? Absolutely. But I don't think it's going to be sustainable, especially when people who left at the beginning of the year come back and suddenly there's ads and shardium payments everywhere.

232 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 5:01 PM
Andaho
I've quoted it many times before... but it seems appropriate to quote it again: (just copying from an old post)

----------

"I think that video games can cut through discrimination." "When you play a game, it doesn't matter what your gender is, it doesn't matter your sexual preference, your social class, your ethnicity - the only thing that matters when you play a game, is how good you are at the game - Nothing else”. ~Eric Jordan (CEO at CNE)

I agreed with everything he said there - Taken from his TEDx talk here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjzSnSR2xY#t=492

Except... your 'social class' does matter in a MASSIVE way in a game built like this... In how much spare disposable income you have to spend on a ‘free-to-play’ game... But this 'pay-to-win' structure the game is being built around, is de-evolving all the good things games have grown into.

40 Posts
Link to post - Posted April 3rd 2015 at 5:10 PM
dansonage
Well said Annie.
I too like the idea of pets, them providing debuffs to enemies especially. more scope for tactics is never bad!

To address the reforging issue Yacamary brought up, capping it at 5 a day isn't a good idea (in my opinion) personally i save up my daily shardium and reforge crystals till I can reroll many time on one piece of equipment. its just easier to keep track of what you have done. Also getting good rolls is possible without spending money. the only shardium I have bought ingame is in the V-Day pack and that all went into my fancy wings. so all the shardium used on reforging was the daily amount. My secondaries are still pretty good highest and i'm sitting at 92.5k BR.

In my opinion only item that is a little P2W is the slotting rod because of the rarity of it (I have found only 1). But even that is only available to buy for limited time in packs. So I repeat what I said before the buyable options are not promoting P2W, they just quicken the grind, as David mentioned too.

I do like the idea of customising visual effects. Also you could make VIP more attractive to buy, personally I don't get it because there isn't enough incentive. Maybe you could add things like faster fishing and slightly improved drop chances to it? Something along those lines may increase the number of players who buy it.

Also I assume a cash-maller is someone who spends a lot of money on the game to try to be the best.

Finally I get that balance is tough, but as it stands in game rangers and warriors far outpower wizards in terms of damage. But unless you have wizards using phase and freeze you can't even attempt the harder tiered MP's. I've mentioned it before in other posts but is there an update planned that will expand the skill book to give more scope for tactics, cause right now there is one method that can beat high tiers.

Keep up the great work devs, i'm looking forward to the jungle! (more screenshots would be awesome! :)