Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
More math fun

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 24th 2017 at 12:04 PM
Animenut
Dealing "Infinity" damage to a boss with "Infinity" health doesn't kill it. I find this more amusing than I should.

For anyone out there that has played Madworld: NOBODY SAID THERE'D BE MATH!!!

859 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 25th 2017 at 1:54 AM
Andreas
Didn't we respond on your last 'infinity' thread that this happens when infinity HP is at work ;)

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 25th 2017 at 2:10 AM
Animenut
No, the last thread was about how the game registers a certain number and above AS "infinity", but this is just about my amusement that, mathematically, -infinity is the opposite of +infinity, and they cancel eachother out, but in this game, +infinity, in defiance of all logic, is entirely unaffected by -infinity.

692 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th 2017 at 8:54 AM
Teschio
Mathematically, infinity - infinity is not 0, they don't cancel each other out, it's an indeterminate form, meaning you cannot say what the result is. For other indeterminate forms, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form

781 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th 2017 at 2:12 PM
Animenut
Teschio, this is kind of a heated debate in mathematic circles, as the whole "How do we treat 0?" question has been a thing for ages. Depending on who you ask, 0/0 is 0, 1, or infinity. Particularly in my own classes, every professor I've had approaches "0/0" differently.

I really didn't want this to become too serious. Just a silly "Math, ammirite?" post. Seriously, the topic is a bit too large to cover here. In one class, my professor gave plenty of examples where we were to assume that infinity - infinity was 0 "for the sake of argument", while in another class, that professor openly stated he would avoid using indeterminate forms "Because they are indeterminate for a reason. Math follows certain rules which these forms are not restricted by, and teaching them is more confusing than educational. I will only mention 0/0 due to how commonly it comes up. In my class, assume it equals 0, but know that I am only setting this rule to avoid a bigger debate."

Simply, in math, anything involving "0" or "infinity" tends to spark debate since one is a mathematical void, and the other is a concept with a hypothetical "value" at best, which blurs things far too much. I've yet to find an answer on this topic that ALL mathematicians agree on as solidly as 2 + 2 = 4.

5565 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th 2017 at 2:25 PM
Last Edited December 7th 2017 at 2:25 PM
Raymond
it isn't math here, it is programming languages and definitions of what is legal and not.
p.s. zero is an odd number LOL

16 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 20th 2017 at 7:13 AM
Loot
I am sure there's some interpretation or model under which 2+2=4 is no longer correct.

1 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 28th 2017 at 7:31 AM
Chantillary
Well let's see...

The value of 2.49 rounds down to 2.

The value of 2.49 + 2.49 = 4.98 which rounds up to 5.

So, 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2. :)