Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
More math fun

361 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 24th at 12:04 PM
Dealing "Infinity" damage to a boss with "Infinity" health doesn't kill it. I find this more amusing than I should.

For anyone out there that has played Madworld: NOBODY SAID THERE'D BE MATH!!!

859 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 25th at 1:54 AM
Didn't we respond on your last 'infinity' thread that this happens when infinity HP is at work ;)

361 Posts
Link to post - Posted November 25th at 2:10 AM
No, the last thread was about how the game registers a certain number and above AS "infinity", but this is just about my amusement that, mathematically, -infinity is the opposite of +infinity, and they cancel eachother out, but in this game, +infinity, in defiance of all logic, is entirely unaffected by -infinity.

581 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th at 8:54 AM
Mathematically, infinity - infinity is not 0, they don't cancel each other out, it's an indeterminate form, meaning you cannot say what the result is. For other indeterminate forms,

361 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th at 2:12 PM
Teschio, this is kind of a heated debate in mathematic circles, as the whole "How do we treat 0?" question has been a thing for ages. Depending on who you ask, 0/0 is 0, 1, or infinity. Particularly in my own classes, every professor I've had approaches "0/0" differently.

I really didn't want this to become too serious. Just a silly "Math, ammirite?" post. Seriously, the topic is a bit too large to cover here. In one class, my professor gave plenty of examples where we were to assume that infinity - infinity was 0 "for the sake of argument", while in another class, that professor openly stated he would avoid using indeterminate forms "Because they are indeterminate for a reason. Math follows certain rules which these forms are not restricted by, and teaching them is more confusing than educational. I will only mention 0/0 due to how commonly it comes up. In my class, assume it equals 0, but know that I am only setting this rule to avoid a bigger debate."

Simply, in math, anything involving "0" or "infinity" tends to spark debate since one is a mathematical void, and the other is a concept with a hypothetical "value" at best, which blurs things far too much. I've yet to find an answer on this topic that ALL mathematicians agree on as solidly as 2 + 2 = 4.

4624 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 7th at 2:25 PM
Last Edited December 7th at 2:25 PM
Raymond Jerome
it isn't math here, it is programming languages and definitions of what is legal and not.
p.s. zero is an odd number LOL

16 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 20th at 7:13 AM
I am sure there's some interpretation or model under which 2+2=4 is no longer correct.

1 Posts
Link to post - Posted December 28th at 7:31 AM
Well let's see...

The value of 2.49 rounds down to 2.

The value of 2.49 + 2.49 = 4.98 which rounds up to 5.

So, 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2. :)