Email: Password:
Codename Entertainment
Thoughts on the game near the end of my 2nd run

1 Posts
Link to post - Posted August 19th 2015 at 9:16 AM
ixnorp
So I'm nearing the end of my 2nd run, time played 4d 14m as of these key presses. Current highest Area is 93 from my previous run, Current area 86. I play on Kongregate.

#1 Space the formation out just a teeny bit more. Move the DPS numbers down slightly. You're covering up the lovely artwork with numbers! At least on my screen anyhow. Not sure if I need to specify or if the game has a fixed size on all screens. But anyway, there's even some unused space that could be expanded into. If you can't do that for some reason, perhaps allowing the user to set the opacity themselves?

#2 If character race or any other stat has abilities which reference it, we need to know what it is. Perhaps a mouseover of the character's icon would display expanded stats in a tooltip. Granted, we players can figure out who's human and who's not with a little logic or simply testing every permutation, but I don't think that fits very well in this genre in this situation. Mystery and puzzles have their place and all but not in my stats window or party configuration, please.

#3 My sum Global Damage Bonus should be listed somewhere. If it is, I can't find it.

#4 Formation DPS increase tooltip fails to take into account the bonus gained from going up 25 levels after having the final skill learned. Also, if a character gives +%All DPS from skills or gear it can be pretty safely assumed they will apply that bonus to themselves at all times and should probably be factored into their base damage?

#5 It would be neat if abilities weren't permanently slotted into the abilities bar but instead only appeared there when equipped. More characters would be able to have their own active ability this way.

#6 The final skill inconsistently uses "4x" where as every other instance in the game uses percent based numbers.

#7 60 equipment slots and 12 trinket slots is a lot to fill! I know this game is oriented toward, uh, long term players let us say, however, at this point I have 20 silver chests and 3 jeweled chests looted. 2 jeweled came from the first run, one from the quest/campaign rubies. I have 24 pieces of gear obtained including the one from the newsletter signup. I've gotten 4 silvers out of 17 bosses on my second run. I suspect the chest drop chance per boss is about 20 or 25% unless I just had freakishly good luck. Or bad, but that seems unlikely due to the drop rates it would imply. Which means I'm going to need a dozen more runs, minimum if I had perfect RNG, to even have a piece of loot in each slot. The actual number will be several times more that but I haven't bothered to calculate the probability curve yet. Two of my drops were DEed, 3 are duplicate trinkets, so I have 19 unique pieces of loot leaving 53, 73.6% unfilled.

I do have a point here! I don't think the initial loot "feel" is tuned right. My suggestion for this is to boost the initial loot drop rate in proportion with the amount of open slots, starting after the first reset. At the same time, scale back the chance of higher quality loot dropping. Then regress those factors back to zero over N drops or proportional to the remaining amount of unfilled slots etc. I think that would improve the initial player experience with out hurting the end game experience or killing the initial excitement of filling those slots up. Maybe after the first reset give a reward of 5 common pieces of gear which the player does not already have?

#8 It's a week or so of Dailys to get a Jeweled Chest. They are pretty underwhelming at the pace you get them. Just kinda, "oh yeah that's a thing, isn't it?" and push the get rubies button. I guess I'm okay with the pace per chest, but buffer more of the quests and lower the quest CD. The extras don't even have to be active, doable quests. You could stick to a max of 3 on those and the others generate when necessary. At 6-8 hours a quest and around 10 at a time stored you can still go away for a few days and not cap out.

#9 Every character having so many "+xxx% damage" skills is really bland. Why not make some of them an interesting proc that does a similar amount of DPS increase to set you apart further? That could take various forms such as a periodic damage or haste buff and provide more variation in formation construction. I'd like to see more of certain Crusaders prefer to be grouped with certain other types or only buff certain other types. The Gryphon and the Dectective prefer not to be next to Jason or the King refuses to stand next to crazies and only buffs humans. What if someone had an ability where they spread 25% of buffs they receive to X number of positions in some direction? What if there were more formation slots than a limited number of Crusaders which can be on the field at once? What if someone prefers to be next to weaker crusaders and deals more damage based on the difference between the two (up to a point so you can't just leave someone level 1 all the time!)

#10 I like formations. There should be more of them. Maybe certain characters could have a skill to change the formation or it's a passive when they're in the Formation. Maybe the formations themselves could grant bonuses and/or penalties of various sorts?

#11 I think that you over-value Jeweled Chests on Kong. I'm no whale and I realize y'all have to make money some how, but $20 for 15 chests is pretty underwhelming when you look at how many slots there are to fill. Paying more than $1 a chest which only has a chance of an epic and that epic might not even be the loot feels bad, man. If you're putting a big Alpha/Beta warning sign on the loading screen shouldn't you be cutting us a little more slack than you are on the prices as helpful early adopters with feedback? ;)

#12 I had better stop writing before I use up all of the letters in my keyboard forever so laters. In b4 "omg wall of text".